Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DRM-MAN

What movie do you dislike but every else loves?

10 minutes ago, hybridial said:

Bit weird that this is coming from someone with a Hellsing character as their avatar, given its lack of anything but being an edgy gore fest :P

Mea culpa, didn't know I'm not allowed to say this :p . But hey, at least it didn't try to be scary y'know.

Edited by seed

6 hours ago, Murdoch said:

I find much of his dialogue boring with excessive swearing (and this is from someone who counts Billy Connolly as a personal hero).

Aye, Billy is fucking BRILLIANT, for fuck's sake (pretend I'm saying that with a Scottish accent for the full effect). 

6 hours ago, Graf Zahl said:

Anything Star Wars. I never got the fascination even of the 3 original ones.

Still love the original trilogy (saw Jedi recently on TV and realized I could recite the dialogue word-for-word as it played); slowly came to grips with the fact that the prequels were epically shit (watching the Red Letter Media reviews sealed it); saw the Force Awakens and they kill off goddamn Han Solo, I'm out

2 hours ago, ETTiNGRiNDER said:

2001 Space Odyssey was complete nonsense to me. 

Yeah, this might be a bit of blasphemy, but I never really "got" Kubrick's style - of the movies I've seen, they all feel like four hours long each

8 minutes ago, seed said:

Mea culpa, didn't know I can't say this :p . But hey, at least it didn't try to be scary y'know.

Just an observation. It's a series that frustrated me because yeah, it wasn't trying to be scary, but it really did absolutely nothing to be interesting, and that's a much bigger sin to me, because before any story can be effective in anyway, it has to be interesting. That applies to horror as much as anything else. 

Oh and, yeah I guess I left out the elephant in the room. Star Wars.

But here's the thing. Many would agree generally that the only good movies are the original trilogy. And that is true. I don't think they suck. They are inoffensive, fun kid's movies.

And the problem stems from that fact that that isn't their legacy, but a decades long obsession. I'd argue nothing could really live up to that. 

Just now, hybridial said:

Just an observation. It's a series that frustrated me because yeah, it wasn't trying to be scary, but it really did absolutely nothing to be interesting, and that's a much bigger sin to me, because before any story can be effective in anyway, it has to be interesting. That applies to horror as much as anything else. 

Eh, depends on what caught your attention. The plot itself yeah, was definitely nothing special, but I loved the characters and the fact that they were explored quite a bit, although I really wasn't fond of some of them (and by that I mean the Iscariots, they remind me of something else I utterly despise... ).

At any rate, I agree with what you said in your previous post, you described what "horror" should be about quite aptly and I hold the same views. Sadly the industry is also oversaturated with the kind of crap I've described, so it's difficult to find something worthwhile in the genre these days, or maybe I'm just not looking where I should. Horror generally isn't my cup of tea tbh, so maybe that's why I can't be arsed to do some deep digging here anymore, I'm leaning towards the sci fi, action, fantasy side of things, horror movies never really fascinated me.

12 hours ago, DRMman said:

Hey there i'm here to say, what movie do you think is overrated but you're the only person who thinks it's overrated.

I guess somebody's gotta be pedantic and mention that this and the thread title are different things. I can think something is overrated and still like it. I can like it a little bit or even a whole lot and still think it's overrated. For me this would apply to stuff like Harry Potter and Star Wars. And probably the superhero movies, but I'm about 20 films behind on that front.

Disliking a movie that I also think is overrated is different. In that regard, I would agree with whoever said Tarantino films and a lot of stuff that is critically acclaimed. I like some 3.5+ star movies, but in general I would be considered someone whose taste is shallow or unrefined, vc.

1 minute ago, seed said:

I'm leaning towards the sci fi, action, fantasy side of things, horror movies never really fascinated me.

Well, I could recommend one of my favourite movies ever that mixes elements of fantasy into things. It has its moments in terms of scares, but its more focused on being fun really. It's called Nightbreed, it was directed by Clive Barker and based on his novel Cabal, which I also think is very good, it kind of got slashed to ribbons by the studio on its initial release but Barker finally was able to put together his own cut which is available now. I recently got the Arrow blu ray release with both the theatrical and "Cabal" cuts of the film. I am tempted to make more recommendations but the issue is I could make tonnes and tonnes. Nightbreed is obscure enough that you probably haven't seen it but accessible enough that I think you'd enjoy what it sets out to do, possibly. 

I definitely like it because it is very similar to Devilman, won't deny that. 

3 minutes ago, Morpheus666 said:

2001: a space oddessy-  Great movie if you want to take a nap for 3 hours

That's true.

I won't go into why(it's a long list) but I can't stand the Nolan Batman films whatsoever. Not even Morgan Freeman could get me to care. Runny makeup & puffy cheeks aren't Joker. Nicholson used deadly laughing gas, Ledger used a... pencil? But I also dislike Batman Returns for similar reasons. Burton lost grasp of what made 89 Batman a total hit.

Joker. Big deal. It's not Batman Joker at all(and thanks to "bat embargo" nonsense from WB, Gotham got seriously screwed on their version of Joker), it got overhyped and Falling Down did every idea from the film better and first. I don't see why I should idolize or feel sorry for some guy who goes on a murder spree because he was upset- Falling Down understood that we're not supposed to root for the guy who loses it, even if he may be right to some degree, because he crossed a huge line in doing so. It ended with D-Fens admitting he was the bad guy. Joker wants sequel hype and it wanted to slap on a popular franchise to add to the hype despite being unrelated to that franchise. Had it been an original property it may have fared a bit better in many ways and Gotham wouldn't have been neutered.

Matrix. It's a blatant Dark City knockoff that didn't even hide it(as if the plots being very close wasn't obvious), when WB bullied New Line with threats of a baseless lawsuit(claiming the title was too close to an underrated box office bomb called Mad City) and in exchange for not suing took possession of all the film's sets. There are scenes in Matrix that not only use unaltered DC sets, but even copy the camera angles on those sets. Computer stuff also saw it overhyped to hell.

Any Terminator after 2, on principle. The original T2 ending was ditched to allow sequels on a plot that should have ended. T3 was trash. TSSC tried its best and was okay for what it was but still made no sense. That future war movie I can't even remember the name of had no direction. Genisys had some good ideas but did not piece together well. Dark Fate wasn't actually that bad but the franchise has been stretched needlessly with "Skynet gets built no matter how we alter time" to the point I'm sick of it.

Ghostbusters 2 was an awful sequel. It's on par with GB2016 in being unwatchable. The villain was lame and too dumb for his own good(he's going to take over a BABY?), the lawsuit subplot shutting them down made no sense- NYC forgot about the ghosts? BULLS**T! That would be like NYC forgetting 9/11 happened! NYC officials pretending a 100-ft marshmallow creature didn't physically walk through the city- which was probably FILMED with news cameras and certainly witnessed by thousands- let alone the multitude of ghost sightings never happened was bad writing.

The Big Sleep - that's exactly what I did while watching.

Though, to be fair, I had just seen 5 films prior, and it was about two in the morning.

I'd also say rocky 3 is sorta overrated but i like 1&2 more then 3 or 4, mainly because movies after 2 were basically stallone letting the success go to his head. 

3 hours ago, Maximum Matt said:

Billy is fucking BRILLIANT, for fuck's sake (pretend I'm saying that with a Scottish accent for the full effect). 

As the man said "you shouldn't swear unless you swear well. I swear extremely well." Tarantino largely doesn't.

2 hours ago, diosoth said:

Joker. Big deal. It's not Batman Joker at all(and thanks to "bat embargo" nonsense from WB, Gotham got seriously screwed on their version of Joker), it got overhyped and Falling Down did every idea from the film better and first. I don't see why I should idolize or feel sorry for some guy who goes on a murder spree because he was upset- Falling Down understood that we're not supposed to root for the guy who loses it, even if he may be right to some degree, because he crossed a huge line in doing so. It ended with D-Fens admitting he was the bad guy. Joker wants sequel hype and it wanted to slap on a popular franchise to add to the hype despite being unrelated to that franchise. Had it been an original property it may have fared a bit better in many ways and Gotham wouldn't have been neutered.

Good point, Falling Down is a fantastic film.

But you know, it's not tied to a comic book. :P

Full Metal Jacket isn't a terrible movie, but Alan Moore had already done the horrors of war in Book 3 of The Ballad of Halo Jones. I guess Kubrick and Moore must have researched the same Vietnam stories, because the plot lines shared a lot of similarities.

10 hours ago, Urthar said:

Full Metal Jacket isn't a terrible movie, but Alan Moore had already done the horrors of war in Book 3 of The Ballad of Halo Jones. I guess Kubrick and Moore must have researched the same Vietnam stories, because the plot lines shared a lot of similarities.

Well, Full Metal Jacket was based on The Short Timers, by Gustav Hasford.

Evil Dead 1981. I hate it and every other movie in the series is better. 

Alien 3. Yes I've watched the Assembly Cut, yes I still don't like it. Stop trying to convince me otherwise. 

Akira. Just read the manga, it's far better. The movie bores me. 

Texas chainsaw massacre. I think it was one of those you had to be there at the time things. I used to be a big horror fan and I watched it relatively late. I was like.. is that it? About from a couple of solid scares it had unlikable characters, a dull story and overall it was surprisingly tame compared to some things I'd seen.

Star Wars

I'm not going to say I "dislike", but I don't understand this hype. I didn't watch all the movies, but among the ones I did watch, I found it's watchable but nothing more.

And All Super Hero Movies as Elend said. Superpowers are boring.

On 2/8/2020 at 11:59 PM, ETTiNGRiNDER said:

2001 Space Odyssey was complete nonsense to me.  I was a kid when I watched it, so there's that, but my parents agreed.

On 2/9/2020 at 2:38 AM, Maximum Matt said:

this might be a bit of blasphemy, but I never really "got" Kubrick's style - of the movies I've seen, they all feel like four hours long each

On 2/9/2020 at 4:16 AM, Morpheus666 said:

2001: a space oddessy-  Great movie if you want to take a nap for 3 hours

GrotesqueCleanDanishswedishfarmdog-size_

I’m afraid I can’t let you do that.

Despite its slow pace, I will say that 2001 is one of my all time favourite films. There are more scenes in that film that stuck in my memory than the entire Star Wars series, including the 3 that are actually decent.

Despite there being a lot more action happening on-screen in Star Wars, there really isn’t a lot for me to sink my teeth into - nothing that makes me think anything or question anything. No moral dilemmas at all since it’s so generic in it’s “good guys in white, bad guys in black” style and the character design is only interesting on a visual level. Darth Vader, Storm Troopers, R2D2 and C3P0 all have great visual designs, but like most of the Star Wars universe, there’s really not much to the characters beneath the surface. What you see is what you get.

Sci-Fi comes in many different flavours, but I find there are some that fit more into the style camp, and some that fit more into the substance camp. Star Wars is all style so I could just never love it. It was always stuck at like.

Conversely, despite being “boring”, the mix of emotions I felt while watching 2001, seeing HAL read the astronaut’s lips - or watching HAL get dismantled by Dave and slowly lose his intelligence - or watching the wormhole sequence - those scenes just had such an impact on me. I wasn’t being spoon fed the emotions I was “supposed to feel” and opinions I was “supposed to have” by the film itself. It all just came naturally. I love that.

I have trouble relating to protagonists like Luke Skywalker. Not to say that heroes with super human powers are always bland and “too good” to the point of lameness, but that was definitely the case with Luke.

This isn’t to say I dislike Star Wars. I mean I guess on the whole there are far more awful Star Wars films at this point, but the original trilogy is still something I respect, and as mentioned, strictly in terms of visuals, I do flat-out love it. I’ve just come to hate the “flashy, boom pow!” type Sci-Fi, of which Star Wars seems to be the progenitor. I easily prefer the “slow burn, but it makes you think” approach a la 2001 or Star Trek TNG.

Edited by Doomkid

The new Star Trek movies that have come out (starting with the one in 09) have all felt pretty lame, they feel too much like Star Wars to me.

2001 is a science fiction masterpiece and Star Wars is a toy commercial for children. SW is just visual pizzaz, there's very little of substance going on underneath the hood so to speak. I enjoy SW but there just isn't much to ruminate on or think about, especially since all the really good ones came out before I was born. 

Not sure how controversial this opinion is: but in highschool, my film teacher (who is a huge Shyamalan fan) showed the class Signs. And Jesus Christ that shit was awful. She also showed the Village which was equally bad if not worse, but I understand that that particular film is not well-liked.

On another note, I own 2001: A Space Odyssey, but haven't popped it into the DVD player yet, just haven't had the time to take it all in.

1 hour ago, Doomkid said:

This isn’t to say I dislike Star Wars. I mean I guess on the whole there are far more awful Star Wars films at this point, but the original trilogy is still something I respect, and as mentioned, strictly in terms of visuals, I do flat-out love it. I’ve just come to hate the “flashy, boom pow!” type Sci-Fi, of which Star Wars seems to be the progenitor. I easily prefer the “slow burn, but it makes you think” approach a la 2001 or Star Trek TNG.

See I generally prefer the slow burn approach too, I mean I adore Blade Runner,  but 2001 A Space Odyssey I think goes just a bit too far with the navel gazing. It's still a very artistic bit of film making and its better than Star Wars in any intellectual aspect, but then so is most actual science fiction because other than taking place in space, Star Wars isn't actually science fiction, and well I'd say taking place in space doesn't have anything to do with what science fiction actually is. 

Kubrick's other films I think are fine in terms of pacing. Nothing particularly drags in A Clockwork Orange or The Shining. 

Resident Evil movies, i kinda like the first two, but the rest is trash, every film gets more and more outlandish to the point that it reaches shitty fanfic tier level by the third film. Also the director can't hide his tendency to show off his wife in every film, Mila Jovovich might be attractive but she's not that hot.

2000's Spiderman Trilogy, they are watchable at best. 

Most superhero movies, specially most of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, they are fun but they also feel very artificial, those movies are like saturday morning cartoons in live action format, no matter what happens everything wraps up in the end for the good guys, serious consequences, drama and beloved character deaths are mostly reserved for the grand finale, Infinity War and Endgame.

Dragon Ball Z movies, i only liked the Bardock special, the rest are terrible and they feel like alternate universe stories.

Unpopular opinion coming through: the fucking Godfather. What a snoozefest. My major complaint is that the story doesn't seem to go anywhere and when it does, it goes snail-pace like. Really, that's the gist of it. Yes, the characters are interesting in their own way and the acting is on point but if this was only focus, it's no wonder I almost fell asleep during the movie. It's a hell no for me!

But take Goodfellas for instance, similar setting, italian mob, gangsters, yaddi yadda.. While the emphasis is also put on the characters, there's an interesting story that get your attention from the start. You definitely want to know how things end.

Spoiler

Thanks for listening to my ted talk.