Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Revenant100

“What the !@#%* is this!” - A Comprehensive Doom 64-based Analysis and Call to Action

On 2/4/2020 at 7:28 AM, warman2012 said:

No, I do not, sadly, or I'd placed a link to that source. Though I have to admit, why even get so worked up over a minor detail about a weapon in a game of the Doom series that until now (from my own experiences) most people never even heard of or cared about? Its a weapon, it goes pew pew and kills shit. Isn't that what counts?

No.

This topic exists for a reason - Defining what the weapon most of us know as the Unmaker should be properly called. Since the Unmaker is not a canonized name, research like this has to exist to verify what should be considered Canon.

That the topic of discussion concerns minor details and is thus interesting only to those who care about representing history as it should be is a different matter altogether.

If you want to keep calling it Unmaker - By all means, go ahead. Nobody is going to send you Lost Souls through the mail order for doing so. But the opposite should also ring true.

Personally, I personally use ASS (Alien Seperation System) as my go-to name for the Unmaker.

On 2/4/2020 at 11:39 AM, SiFi270 said:

Saw you making a fuss about the "Doom Guy with a spa ce" thing over on twitter, but from what I can tell, the first remotely official use of the name did the same.

291093-doomguy2_big.jpg

DoomGuy Hawk's Skateboarding: Martian Wasteland.

.... That would actually be a game i'd like to see. Rails are composed of Imps, the board's wheels run on Lost Souls...

Edited by Redneckerz : Slight edit.

14 minutes ago, Gerardo194 said:

What if the Unmaker name is canonized this March 20 2020???

Then it's this entire topic that becomes hackfraudery.

It could. Although @Linguica stated that Giant Bomb says that Unmaykr is the other sword present in the game, but what if is the Unmaykr is the weapon we all know and love?? What ii in the new Doom 64 re-release the Laser gun is named Unmaker after the Doom Bible??

Just look at that Flynn Taggart reference in Doom Eternal, I'm sure they did it because they know there are Doom fans that love that name despite there are others in the community who don't...

13 hours ago, Quasar said:

In my opinion it's highly likely that something like "alien laser" or "laser gun" was indeed the development name of the weapon inside Midway; however, there is probably a good reason the game itself never uses it - it's lame. "Alien" in particular doesn't fit with the demonic nature of the weapon. "Laser gun" is just describing what it is without any creativity. Instead, they chose to leave it obscured, with no official name in the game and no name OR depiction at all in the manual. Obviously strategy guides and reviews had to call it something though, and some of those might have sought advice from the developers - others clearly invented their own names whole cloth.

It will of course regardless continue to be noted that historically the weapon had no name in the original release, and that these alternative names existed, regardless of whatever it's called in the upcoming re-release (and I will continue to pretend I don't know for sure until March 20).

This is kinda my perspective on the matter as well. Surely they could come with a name that isn't so lame and creatively bankrupt... "Alien", in a game like Doom? I highly doubt it.

It's forever staying "Unmaker" in my book.

2 hours ago, Gerardo194 said:

Although @Linguica stated that Giant Bomb says that Unmaykr is the other sword present in the game

Did he? Because Giant Bomb is incorrect. 

9 hours ago, Gerardo194 said:

What if the Unmaker name is canonized this March 20 2020???

Then those who have been the true hack frauds all along will have finally revealed themselves. And not to name any names, but it's a company name with two letters than begins with an "I" (capitalized, of course) and rhymes with "eye-dee".

To put it one way, hypothetically imagine if the developers of a new Doom game redesigned the Arch-vile without his iconic face tubes because they based it on Gregor Punchatz' latex model, but Gregor is on record as stating that he only removed the face tubes for casting reasons, and we can clearly see on the digitized sprites themselves that Adrian Carmack restored his own concept art's face tubes on the Arch-vile's face, which makes the absence of face tubes on the Arch-vile a glaring canonical design error. It would take the work of true hack frauds to be so wrong. But this is all just hypothetically speaking, am I right?

Also, the Bradygames Authorized Guide to Doom 64 that I ordered just arrived today, and I have added the captures of this official publication to the document which I am duplicating here for convenience:

b6VUO1f.jpg

Jk7IyOz.jpg

And that concludes my research on Doom 64's Laser.

For now...

I may not agree with the "hack fraud" stuff but I really do appreciate the depth of research you've put into this stuff regardless. I intend to add these refs to the wiki article as soon as I have time.

23 hours ago, Quasar said:

I may not agree with the "hack fraud" stuff

Yeah, that running gag is kinda running out of breath.

On 2/4/2020 at 5:11 AM, Revenant100 said:

This is in contrast to Eternal which is being developed by id themselves and introducing a wanton continuity error with their own previous title:

I'm sure a swift and official response from a member of id and/or an authorized Bethesda and/or ZeniMax representative will clear all this right up, though.

To keep everyone up to date on this urgent matter, id have gone ahead and took great steps to correcting their glaring mistake, as evidenced by today's stream:

lawANRE.jpg

Curiously, they seemed to have neglected to respond to my initial tweet, nor does there seem to be any acknowledgement of my tireless efforts of ensuring the sanctity of our Doom canon is meticulously preserved for future Doomer generations, but I'm sure this oversight was just the result of some clerical error somewhere and proper commendations will be coming down the line!

3 hours ago, Gerardo194 said:

I don't want Doom Eternal to be a fan service game...

You best start believing in fan service games...

You're in one!

11 hours ago, Gerardo194 said:

@Revenant100 well done, my friend! But there is something that makes me worried now,,,I don't want Doom Eternal to be a fan service game... Or do you think I could be wrong??

This is a fan service forum! With fan service source ports! And fan service Doom sequels where you pick up collectible dolls that play the E1M1 music!

YAY!!!

what happened to "THE DOOM SLAYER" or "HELL WALKER" like the Slayer testaments say?

It would only make sense if there's a continuity error as Samuel Hayden clearly calls the Slayer "the marine" which means that Hayden must have knowledge that he was a Former UAC Marine, if this is the case then chances are that Hayden Coined "Doomguy" as i'm guessing it's impossible to collect the past archives as Literally the whole Phobos and Deimos bases Research and scientists were exterminated not to mention that the UAC covered up the tragedy and locked the files for it away behind a military seal.

Edited by Morpheus666

20 hours ago, Revenant100 said:

You best start believing in fan service games...

You're in one!

Why should I?? What I fear is seeing division in the community... I think when a game becomes a fan service game tends to go down...

12 hours ago, VGA said:

This is a fan service forum! With fan service source ports! And fan service Doom sequels where you pick up collectible dolls that play the E1M1 music!

YAY!!!

Hmmm, a forum, source ports, collectible dolls have nothing to do with what Doom Eternal is doing... or i mean what I've seen so far... I don't consider Doom 2016 to be a fan service game till Doom Eternal.

@Revenant100 my friend, I have always thought the Betrayer was a former Argent D' Nur soldier and I liked to imaging him similar to Betruger's design with a scar in his face and it resulted that the Betrayer has a scar in his face and a blind right eye as Betruger himself... Was that fan service or just pure coincidence??

Edited by Gerardo194

While the level of research in this thread is outstanding, learned a lot here i must say.

This thread is starting to sound like an elaborate "new iD team are hackfrauds only makes fake doom cuz not made by Romero and Hall" thread.

I hope they keep these inconsistensies with the canon just to trigger some more jimmies

Edited by jazzmaster9

7 hours ago, jazzmaster9 said:

new iD team are hackfrauds only makes fake doom cuz not made by Romero

But how could Romero himself not be a hack fraud when he has already revealed himself to be perhaps the fraudiest of hacks, the one hack to rule them all, when he declared that the Shambler has fur?

vmtzV3j.png

15 minutes ago, Revenant100 said:

But how could Romero himself not be a hack fraud when he has already revealed himself to be perhaps the fraudiest of hacks, the one hack to rule them all, when he declared that the Shambler has fur?

vmtzV3j.png

Welp that gives me all the info i need about how seriously i'll take this thread.

I cringed when i typed "hackfraud" i cant take that seriously.

Also i'll keep calling it the Unmaker since Alient Laser sounds as creative as "Magabomb gun"

Edited by jazzmaster9

1 hour ago, VGA said:

Which gun is the "Unmaker"?

According to how the Unmaker should have worked as described in the Doom Bible, none.

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Doom_Bible

A demon-tech weapon that hurts pure demons significantly, while being of limited use against tech demons or possessed humans. It is made from the spinal column and ribs of a demon, and like the dark claw, feeds on human souls. An icon occurs for it in the Doom 0.2 IWAD, and then nothing further. However, an aesthetically similar weaponwas eventually implemented in Doom 64.

However, concepts like this changes in the process of development. The question is, did the Doom64 developers knew about that weapon concept, and tried to come up with something at least optically similar?

The Laser looks like a demon ribcage ... maybe the laser beam was a placeholder until they could design something more interesting :D

Well, I have just seen the leaked Doom Eternal Artwork somewhere ... The Unmaykr's design confirms it was taken directly from the new Doom64 weapon-- The Unmaker.

It recognizes the new Doom64 weapon as the Unmaker...

Edited by Gerardo194 : fixing