Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HAK3180

*2020 HAKAWARDS* I'm Also Looking to Play and Record Your Maps 2 *CLOSED*

Table of Contents

@nicolas monti

Monti’s maps aren’t usually like this. If they are nonlinear, they are usually some sort of hub. This one is linear in a sense; you have to get the keys in order, but many areas are approachable from opposite directions. It’s a fun dynamic and seems to be accomplished fairly well. You don’t feel like some of the encounters would be duds if you had gone the other way. It’s also a nice mix of setpieces and incidental stuff, the latter often involving roaming monsters, especially revenants. The space itself is quite intriguing. They layout is still quite intricate even without a lot of signature Monti moments. There’s nice work done with the visuals, some of it really giving a sense of a real place.

Bottom line: A compact tech base with identity and choices

14 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

Table of Contents

@nicolas monti

Monti’s maps aren’t usually like this. If they are nonlinear, they are usually some sort of hub. This one is linear in a sense; you have to get the keys in order, but many areas are approachable from opposite directions. It’s a fun dynamic and seems to be accomplished fairly well. You don’t feel like some of the encounters would be duds if you had gone the other way. It’s also a nice mix of setpieces and incidental stuff, the latter often involving roaming monsters, especially revenants. The space itself is quite intriguing. They layout is still quite intricate even without a lot of signature Monti moments. There’s nice work done with the visuals, some of it really giving a sense of a real place.

Bottom line: A compact tech base with identity and choices

Pretty useful comments, I'll make that encounter behind the YD more interesting, I've also noticed some wrong light level sectors on the flat tech rooms that lead the RK, the 2 AV encounter is already tweaked with no sound lines and non deaf enemies in that nukage area to make that encounter more fluid and natural and also some delayer if you want to bypass the fight. Thanks!

Roaming monsters make everything more interesting if you know when to "release" them and where. Not a clue about that lift sound near the entrance but going to check, it feels like a wrong action asignment because no action 88 on that map that I recall.

@Solmyr

Doomworld forum topic

The office concept is pretty cool. Visually, it starts innocent but gradually introduces some hellish components. It also looks quite nice. There’s just enough realism to sell the look and some of it is practical, too, but I don’t remember it ever being a nuisance. Most of the combat is fulfilling. The cyberdemon is a major threat with all the tight hallways and windows and your lack of ammo. You do eventually accumulate just enough to kill the cybderdemon early, especially if you are liberal with your rockets, but you don’t have many good fighting angles, unless you lure him all the way back into the atrium. I was glad I opted not to, as the stalker was still a major factor in a another part of the map. I never really figured out how to get out of the exit area. I’m not sure what happened there, but either something glitched out or I would recommend the blue door room as a third secret area. Speaking of those, I didn’t like how either of the proper secrets was implemented. Both were just random humps, unless I missed something.

Bottom line: Unique concept well executed. Ending was confusing.

1 hour ago, HAK3180 said:

The office concept is pretty cool. Visually, it starts innocent but gradually introduces some hellish components. It also looks quite nice. There’s just enough realism to sell the look and some of it is practical, too, but I don’t remember it ever being a nuisance. Most of the combat is fulfilling. The cyberdemon is a major threat with all the tight hallways and windows and your lack of ammo. You do eventually accumulate just enough to kill the cybderdemon early, especially if you are liberal with your rockets, but you don’t have many good fighting angles, unless you lure him all the way back into the atrium. I was glad I opted not to, as the stalker was still a major factor in a another part of the map. I never really figured out how to get out of the exit area. I’m not sure what happened there, but either something glitched out or I would recommend the blue door room as a third secret area. Speaking of those, I didn’t like how either of the proper secrets was implemented. Both were just random humps, unless I missed something.

Bottom line: Unique concept well executed. Ending was confusing.

No you didn't broke the map nor did it glitch, you've killed the cyberdemon earlier than expected tough. After you entered the library with the fatties, a 24 map units tall sector inside the cyberdemon cage lowers, allowing it to warp in back to the main hall inside a sector cage were you got the yellow key in the 26:14 minute mark, then you backtrack to the blue door room, the switch inside grants you access to the red key area, but also has some lindefs that lowers a wall in the sector cage that allows the cyberdemon to teleport once again towards the final area and also lowers the sector cage and the door to the yellow key giving a strange pseudo-survival horror vibe of the monster vanishing and everything getting back to "normal" (sometimes the cyberdemon doesn't teleport and wanders around the hallway), then you proceed to the final area, a sector wall behind the fake flame wall instantly lowers and the cyberdemon emerges from the flaming wall. 

Wholeheartedly agree with the secrets, im not much of a secret hunter, and i wanted to make a pattern to get the megaspehere and megaarmor/backpack secrets but got lazy about it, glad you liked the scenery and how functional some of it was, i was worried about players killing the cyberdmeon early, specially with SSG but i didn't want to get so stingy with ammo, in fact i really like how you managed the first encounters dodging in close quarters taking minimal damage, and also how you used the cyberdemon to save ammo, i put sufficient ammo for players to kill everything without using the cyberdemon to stir infighting, but its good to see how it played. 

Thanks for the FDA, greatly apreciate the feedback and this unexpected outcome.

Would you have time to play my contribution to the deadly standards 3 called "Burning Night" ? It is made for limit removing so play test it in prboom+ and it goes in the e3m1 slot. Midi, f you wanna know is "Disinformation Highway" by The Max project.

The latest version is E, as it is in this link. The link on the project page isnt updated - that is version D.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v8m94yng6gs3bjd/nh_e1m1_stand3E.wad?dl=0

I'll guess you'll also need the graphics wad,

https://www.doomworld.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=74727

@Lorenz0

Doomworld forum topic

First self-proclaimed true slaughter map from Lorenz0. I do prefer some less orchestrated fights sprinkled in, but some of these definitely had character, particularly the keycards fight and the yellow skull fight. I thought the weak link here was definitely the middle door (red skull, I think), but you get enough variety here and a lenient enough experience that I think this will boast a fairly high degree of accessibility. I also liked how you did have to monitor your ammo and health, not to the extent that starvation was a factor, but rockets and cells were not practically unlimited, nor was health. 

Bottom line: probably a good learning experience for Lorenzo, and the product ain't bad at all.

@Aku

download the .wad

I like the layout of the map. It’s just a tight hub with three keys. Each key gives you the next key pretty much right away. The combat was a bit too much of the same. Humans + arch-vile miniboss every time. Visually, the map was the same too. It wasn’t really ugly, just very bland and almost entirely tan/brown.

Bottom line: a compact and monotonous hub

@NeedHealth

Doomworld forum topic (project)

I like the atmosphere. The exposed floor sky was a nice touch. It happens a lot but doesn’t always add much. In general, it’s a very good-looking map. It was largely linear but never boring. I thought a few rockets and a launcher might be fun, since it did go on for a little bit (114 kills) and included a fair amount of demons and cacodemons. It also seemed to lack any truly tough moments, but that’s more an observation than a complaint, as I found a number of areas plenty interesting and engaging.

Bottom line: Fun start, maybe a touch too generous

Thank you - I'll try to address what issues I saw. I haven't had any real feedback on this map as of yet so your review was very welcome.

@Aku (By the way, that a mapset is "designed to be played in continuation" is information that simply cannot go unstated. It is your responsibility to provide me the forum topic link if you want me to read it. All you gave me was a .wad download link.)

Doomworld forum topic

The visuals are very basic. I did like the floor of the maze-ish section with its randomness, but again, textures are overused and lighting is barely present. The gameplay is a good idea. The combat is almost a non-factor, but I didn’t mind it because playing this as more of an adventure puzzle Zelda-esque thing worked for me.

Bottom line: somewhat crude implementation of a really cool concept

@Aku

Doomworld forum topic

I like the moodiness of this map, and this time I didn’t mind the monochromatic green so much for some reason. I thought this was a pretty interesting use of the BFG; however, the balance is definitely off. You find yourself pretty quickly in a hub with three paths. There’s really no indicator of which is toughest or what order will be necessary. It turns out there is no prescribed order. But one path gives you the BFG and backpacks and an invulnerability. The path I took first got me into ammo crisis almost immediately. That kind of thing requires extra attention in a map that gives Doomguy such freedom.

Bottom line: This Aku is distinct. Hopefully that remains as mapping expertise increases.

@nicolas monti

This is quite an immersive little map. Every square inch is utilized to the fullest, sometimes more than once. There’s a marked variety in the combat here, from hide and seek with sergeants and commandos to full-on pain elemental spam. The darkness and the nukage and the music really sold the atmosphere.

Bottom line: really good map here: mentally intriguing, clever, and fun

@Aku (this is the first level I recorded with the knowledge that the wad is designed for continuous)

Doomworld forum topic

Labyrinth indeed. Aku seems to have settled into a direction for this wad, and that is mediumlight puzzle, mostly spatial. I enjoyed that aspect. Visually, it’s a bit crude, but steps are taken to give visual cues for various things. As much as I enjoyed the puzzle adventure here, the combat just didn’t really do anything for me. I might have liked this better with zero monsters. I think continuous play is going to be problematic here, but I also think the maps are going to need more significant setpiece-type fights if they’re going to center around this puzzle theme.

Bottom line: The puzzle stuff is rather enjoyable; the combat sorta just annoys as you do that.

Hey, can you please playtest my two submissions to the 64KB megawads?

Both maps are vanilla compatible, tested in all of Choc, Crispy, prBoom+, GZDoom, so play on whichever one you want :P

First map: DoomFighter 63 1/3, uses MAP21 of Doom II

Second map: Quite a Ride, uses MAP07 of Doom II

Both need to be run with the 64KB texture pack: http://www.mediafire.com/file/turw1mqx21wzdko/64ktexpack.wad/file

FYI the forum topic is here

quitearide.zip

doomfighter63andathird.zip

On 12/3/2019 at 2:10 PM, HAK3180 said:

It’s a big map, but I mean that mostly vertically. As I played this, I grew more and more confident that this was by @Steve D because of the texturing, the scale, and the combat setup. It’s a lot of strategic incidental combat involving imps and gunners. He finds ways to punish you for being too aggressive or not aggressive enough. My only nitpick is I’m not sure how well this really captures the Shores of Hell. It’s close, but it seems a bit too tidy.

Bottom line: very Stevedy, classic fun

Hi, @HAK3180, my apologies for taking three months to reply. So many schedule crunches and IRL whirlwinds in that time. My Doom activity has suffered mightily.

I'm glad you enjoyed my Deadly Standards 2 map, and I didn't see anything that required revision, so that's good, especially since it's already released. :D  You missed the big secret areas, alas. Remember, you never have to randomly wall-hump in my maps, because all my secrets have visual clues -- I do not use automap clues. In one example, you went into a room and humped every computer panel except the one with a dead player in front of it. In one sense, given that you had already humped 4 walls, why not the 5th, just for the sake of being thorough? But always look for those differences. I used the same trick again to signal the entrance to the largest secret area, in the big room with the 2 pumps. Things like that, plus vertical texture misalignments, tiny switch inserts, the occasional blinky/glowing panel, a texture that doesn't fit, or something that just seems odd in terms of structure, are typical ways I announce that people should hump a wall. Natch, you can get lucky with random humping, too, as well as seeing a goody and figuring out a path to get there in order to deduce where the secret door must be.

The question is also begged, if you find the big secret areas, does the extra combat that comes with it make the map more enjoyable or simply more long?

You make a good point about whether the map truly fits into a Shores of Hell theme. One thing you couldn't know before playing this map is that it was never designed for Deadly Standards 2. Instead, it was made back in 2015 as E1M2 for Ultimate Doom In Name Only, when it was a vanilla project. For some strange reason, they thought a massive map with 579 monsters was maybe a bit much for the slot. ;D As a result, the map became orphaned. I thought about re-submitting it for an E2 slot, but all the slots were taken. And since I already had an E1 mapset finished, I couldn't put it in Shotgun Symphony. So eventually I jumped at the chance to put it in DS2, and added vine textures to enhance the corrupted techbase feel that was already present thanks to Marbfaces. Probably should have added some Gstone in the mix.

On the detailing, some of that is because of its original status as a vanilla map. When working in vanilla, I tend to get in VPO trouble because of long sightlines that show too many 2s lines, and that precludes much in the way of curvy architecture. But it's also true, as you've noticed, that I'm a "medium detail" oldschool mapper. That's what I like and feel comfortable with. Even so, I had to simplify the architecture to eliminate VPOs, but I put some of that detail back in, plus added some more -- but not much -- for this DS2 version. In any case, congrats on your ability to sniff out a Steve D map. You got me! :)

Now I have a package of maps for Ultimate Doom In Name Only. These are for E1M2, E4M2 and E4M6. There is also a udino_liquids.wad which is required for all of them. E1M2 is large but still smaller than the older map, with 191 monsters instead of 579. IMO it's pretty easy, though it's possible to get in tricky situations that can get you killed. E4M2 and E4M6 are downright nasty for players at our skill level. I encourage you to try them at UV, but if they seem too unpleasant, feel free to lower the difficulty. I view you as a Truth Machine tester, someone who is in the same neighborhood as me regarding skill and who is also willing to take a lot of pain, so if you find a map to be overboard with difficulty, I have some serious thinking to do. By contrast, if you find the E4 maps easy, I'll have a different type of thinking to do.

Note:E4M2 has a secret exit that I'd like you to explore. Linedef 2622 is the secret door and is signaled by being a brighter section of the wall. I give you authority to examine the map in your editor prior to playing it in order to familiarize yourself. By contrast, the BFG secret has an unusual path you have to intuit, since there is no genuine visual clue. 

Hi there @HAK3180.  I don't know if you remember me from your previous thread last year, asking if you could play my map. The map wasn't ready. But I finally got some time to finish it. I would be glad if you played it!

The Sheol Dagger!

http://www.mediafire.com/file/3iuvfi6m1lrwenj/SheolDagger.rar/file

It's one map (map01) for Doom 2 with new textures and 3 new enemies. Built in zdoom format but it's simple old Doom style gameplay.

No jump or crouch allowed, and freelook isn't required, although recommended for a vertical place. Difficulty Settings are not implemented.

Tested in GZDoom only.

Thanks in advance :)

@HAK3180
sorry i diden't mention it was for continuous play, im still a firm believer in pistal start after death however.

as for your advice , i of course fixed all the misaligned textures you had noticed in my earlier version 

i just fixed that part in level 9 which you got stuck, so that wont be a problem in the next release (sorry i am bit embarrassed about that).

in level 6 i had it in mind that a player would absolutely have no choice but to run past the hell knights at the start to survive it, which also leads to some interesting gameplay as the hell knights come out the room from both ends(a monster only teleporter is near the window that punishes players trying to snipe them at the window) i would recommend one day trying it out that way to really get the feel of that level.

but mostly everything else you have said on all the other levels i will put into high consideration when getting closer to finishing this megawad.

looking forward to see what you think about level 12 and 13

thanks so much for playing my wad and giving your honest opinions.

@Horus (I mistyped and thus did not load the texture pack. I never noticed until I played the next map because it seems the only change for this map was the sky.)

download the .zip

64kb maps is an interesting restriction. This was not just a short/small map. What it lacked in visual character (which wasn’t too much; I like the distinct, tall main room) it made up for in combat, each fight providing a bit of variety.

Bottom line: a solid setpiece-leaning Doom level

@Horus

download the .zip

Although this is quite recognizable as a Dead Simple map, it’s innovative enough. The opening fight is fierce, the movement schemes are clever, and the last little run is lots of fun.

Bottom line: Short, varied, and sweet

On 2/7/2020 at 8:38 PM, HAK3180 said:

@nicolas monti

This is quite an immersive little map. Every square inch is utilized to the fullest, sometimes more than once. There’s a marked variety in the combat here, from hide and seek with sergeants and commandos to full-on pain elemental spam. The darkness and the nukage and the music really sold the atmosphere.

Bottom line: really good map here: mentally intriguing, clever, and fun

Good playthrough, it seems it plays how it's meant to be, I've toned down the mandatory straferunning thing after many complaints, not saying it won't be featured in the next maps but it won't be required for most of the jumps!

Map04: Forgotten Colony

http://www.mediafire.com/file/hfmfjd9vxylbznl/ALPHACEN04.wad/file

Really fresh, hope no major bugs!

@Aku

Doomworld forum topic

Continuous gameplay is tough. I carried over 500 cells and all weapons and this map didn’t have any real opposition for that kind of preparation. So the combat didn’t work for me. I also thought the Nazi stuff was out of place, as I usually do. I did like the general layout and idea with the underground space and various areas off the main hub. I thought it was textured pretty well, too, but it needed more floor and ceiling variation and a lot of help with lighting.

Bottom line: an okay space without much gameplay excitement

@Aku

Doomworld forum topic

I think a big thing right now is simply figuring out if this wad is continuous or pistol starts. There were definitely ammo issues in early maps when I was pistol starting, but once I played continuous, it has been easy to the point of simplistic. Figuring that out would be a big step toward interesting combat. The journey of the map, however, was interesting. The realism is not too much but there’s still a bit of a story being told. I don’t mind the minipuzzle aspect here, but once again, the combat just seemed filler.

Bottom line: Another intriguing adventure where the fighting leaves something to be desired

Thanks for the playthroughs, @HAK3180, definitely some useful information there!

DoomFighter 63 1/3:

Actually although I did deliberately make the filesize 63.3 KB (not that it counts for anything in a compiled megawad lol), that's not the reason for the title, it is instead named after the Nintendo 64 fighting game, ClayFighter 63 1/3. 

The map was created before the 64KB texture pack was released, hence the very loose connection to it. But the sky isn't the only difference. The other difference is at the very end, where the black corner that you saw is replaced by an exit panel texture (hence you would have known that that was the exit rather than the path to the BFG). I definitely think the orange sky works better with this map. But then I would say that, I love that sky.

Two things I'm definitely going to change on the map following your playthrough:
1) You weren't supposed to be able to get that green armor through the wall, I need to fix that bug
2) Going to force the player to pick up the berserk at the start

EDIT: Easy changes thankfully, done already. Also made the caco battle a little harder

Quite a Ride:

I had a clear vision as to how this map would start and how it would end, but not the middle, guess it kinda showed ha. I'll see what I can do before the walls lower. Afterwards I might just light up the cover a bit and switch to the rock light texture (unlike the other map I have some space to spare here), the point of that battle is to always be aware of where you are in relation to where the vile is.

EDIT: Also easy, lit up the cover, added another tron and moved the imp/chaingunner positions around

The red/yellow key doors are marked by the skulls to the side up top (the skull comp texture bounded by two red skulls is the red door, the skull comp texture bounded by two yellow skulls is the yellow door), that was the visual cue there.

Edited by Horus

@Steve D

Doomworld forum topic (project)

I thought this was a really nice locus for a Doom map. The unplayable stuff did not go unnoticed but really sold the environment. In general, I like this mapper’s combat style. It tends to set you up to be overconfident. There are very few moments where you wet your pants because you know it’s going down. Usually when you get in trouble you get in over your head without realizing it because a couple imps, sergeants, and demons don’t seem that threatening, but once you take into account how the scenery is arranged, their lines of sight, the roaming monsters still arriving, etc., it’s a recipe for a lot of fun.

Bottom line: successful “name only” aspect and a fun action-packed map

@Kepehn

download the .rar

The mapper seems to have an admirable knack for map intricacies. This map unfolds and unfolds, constantly sending you through old areas to new areas that in turn connect to old areas. Unfortunately, progression was almost never intuitive at all. Pretty much any time I went the right way, it was a guess or luck. Eventually I got to a point (again) where I simply had no idea what was next and stopped playing. I think it’s important to show the player what they’re doing/how the map is unfolding/what the switch accomplished, etc. Visually, it’s adequate. Combat isn’t the greatest. Ammo was weird and a lot of encounters just felt like necessary evil/cleanup, but that could also be due to the anxiety I had from constantly being semi-lost.

Bottom line: Nice idea but too obtuse.

Ok @HAK3180, thanks for playing my map! I appreciate your criticism, it made me realize that there's so much stuff wrong I need to correct.

I did playtest before upload it, but I never thought it would be so difficult for others. I used to play Doom slowly so I rarely get stuck. It's more easy to get stuck when you play fast, there could be a little switch you didn't see at first glance.

I'm sad you could not finish the map, but it is absolutely understandable. I will edit my map in a way to prevent the player of getting stuck. Lastly I will upload it to /idgames.

Thanks for your time and patience! :)