Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tartlman

Doom 2's "best" demon?

What do you think doom 2's best monster addition is? I personally think that it's the mancubus, due to having an extremely predictable yet hard to dodge attack. It feels so satisfying to weave through a mancubus's volley, and as icing on the cake it's a pretty nice attack for use with dehacked.

A close second is probably the hell knight.

Okay, no cap. But I friggin' love the arch-vile.

It's annoying as fuck and so I always panic whenever I see one.

When making maps I tend to place them where a ton of enemies have died, and also have them alerted before hand, so they can res them prefight.

I also love their aesthetic. Tall lanky ass monsters with large hands. I've included them in my current DND campaign, to see how that affects their playing, and so far it's been going great.

Arachnotron-

This spiders can do wonders and make a great proyectile battle on good maps, and their low hp pool it's good to pack to 5 to 8 of them in some Arenas.

Also, it's the children of mama Master Mind.

17 minutes ago, ZeMystic said:

Okay, no cap. But I friggin' love the arch-vile.

It's annoying as fuck and so I always panic whenever I see one.

When making maps I tend to place them where a ton of enemies have died, and also have them alerted before hand, so they can res them prefight.

I also love their aesthetic. Tall lanky ass monsters with large hands. I've included them in my current DND campaign, to see how that affects their playing, and so far it's been going great.

Exactly. The Arch-vile is tough and I love it!

Archvile. Simply put, nothing changes up the gameplay more.

Chaingunner = rapidfire shotgunner
Arachnotron = rapidfire (wide) imp
Mancubus = rapidfire (wide) imp with a terrible aim
Revenant = okay, also cool, but really just an imp with homing
Hellknight = imp lying awake at night wishing it were a baron
Pain elemental = caco shoots lost souls, forgot how to melee

Archvile tho? Dat line-of sight attack and the immediate threat can keep ANY playfield dynamic, and is IMHO secondary to the resurrection capabilities it has. Plus the sneaky potential for jumps/secrets. Archie is bae. <3

Chaingunner.

Because the chaingun is my baby. Oh yeah.

There's something special going on betwen us.

So when I'm face to face with another who has the fever for multiple rotative barrels too, I just can't help it. I turn on the music and let my fingers work the magic. I show the chaingun I mean business and she's mine only...

Spoiler

Basically, the chaingunner because he can catch you off-guard and cause some serious damage if you don't react quickly. Add several of them in a room and it gets really funky. That's the serious answer but who wants to read something this boring? Don't you prefer my love assertion story with the chaingun better?

Mancubus for looking scary and for being able to basically turn any room into bullet hell if in large enough numbers, Revenant for forcing you to keep moving, Arachnotron for being a cutie I wanna pat on the brain

I've always liked the Mancubus. They have a pattern that isn't too complicated to learn (not piss-easy like the Cyberdemon or annoying like the rapid-fire Arachnotron), the damage deal-out seems logical and I feel that, in both the IWADs and fan-made WADs, they're generally used very well (Nova Map14 is an exception).

Also, best death animation of the original games.

ONLY counting DooM II?

The adorable, 8-legged spidey monster AKA Arachnotrons. ^w^

They're a pain in the arse in clusters mostly because they spray the arena in plasma shots but come on, look at it! It's a beby spider! :3

I love the revenant because it is such a versatile enemy. Seriously, they fit in almost any given combat situation. they work well in close quarters, as a sniper, on their own, in large groups, etc., etc. They are not always the best pick for the job, but they almost always fit. Their lowish health prevents them from being a bullet sponge and their multiple methods of attack, especially the homing rockets, force you to pay attention and make them one of the most engaging to fight. They really were one of the finest enemy additions to the game.

I also like the arch vile because even one of them well placed can really spice up an encounter.

A close match between Revenant and Arachnotron. But the Arach wins because of this reaaaally satisfying death sound.

16 hours ago, Jayextee said:

It seems a bit strange to consider those enemies AS "super imps", as they lack two of the imps' qualities: mobility (meaning that they fit and can move pretty much everywhere) and melee (which means you really don't want them to close-in on you, as they can be more damaging than even a Pinky).

The Revenant fits the bill much closer, and far from being mobility-impaired, it can fit where a regular imp/former human can, and moves faster to boot, to speak nothing of its highly-damaging attacks. It's the "bad mothafuckah" of Doom. If Doom was a brawling game, and the Imps were regular street thugs, Revenants would be like elite street-brawlers. Tough, highly damaging, "street smart" and full of dirty tricks.

Manc and Arachno? More like the fatsos from Final Fight :-)

proxy?url=http%253A%252F%252Fwww.noe-v.c

19 hours ago, Tartlman said:

What do you think doom 2's best monster addition is? I personally think that it's the mancubus, due to having an extremely predictable yet hard to dodge attack. It feels so satisfying to weave through a mancubus's volley, and as icing on the cake it's a pretty nice attack for use with dehacked.

A close second is probably the hell knight.

Even harder to dodge if you are under effect of invisibility !

All of Doom 2's enemies are great, they all add something very different to the roster (okay, the Hell Knight not-so-much, but whatever). That being said, the most versatile is certainly the Revenant, with it's high speed, decent health, homing-but-not-always rockets, and its melee punches. There is a very good reason why "Revenant spam" is so common, you can just use the Revenants in so many situations, it's awesome.

The most dynamic enemy on the other hand is easily the archvile. Its extremely high speed, LoS attack, resurrection ability, and behaviour (instantly turns on others, others never turn on it) lead to the same encounter potentially going lots of different ways. If you ever want a spice up an encounter, just throw some archviles in there! Please be careful using archviles in fights. Always use archviles responsibly. Must be 19 or older to place archviles in a map.

17 hours ago, Jayextee said:

Archvile. Simply put, nothing changes up the gameplay more.

Chaingunner = rapidfire shotgunner
Revenant = okay, also cool, but really just an imp with homing
Hellknight = imp lying awake at night wishing it were a baron
Pain elemental = caco shoots lost souls, forgot how to melee

Archvile = slow shotgunner with perfect accuracy and resurrection :3

revenatns forever by the way

Revenant, the most lovable goof of all demons.

What i love the most about this screeching boner is how much damage its missiles do (10-80), some may hate Doom's RNG but that range in damage can really make an encounter with a couple of revs with low health (or even full health) and no armor more exciting.

OK, I'm gonna say it. Pain Elemental.

Nothing makes you change up your gameplay more. Absolute top priority to kill most of the time, especially if you can't get into cover from its sight or hug it. Once you start getting swarmed from multiple angles by lost souls, it is usually over, especially if there are other threats nearby. (Assuming playing with a limit removing port).

After that, definitely Revenant. I really like their unique behavior patterns like not shooting a missile as long as you are within a certain range of them (50 I think it was?) and on the other hand immediately shooting a missile after having gone through their pain state no matter what.

The pain elemental because it's good at its job, fucking me right over.

Spoiler

Actual answer is either Cyberdemon or Archvile, both are badass and unruly evil.

OP was asking for best addition in Doom 2, so Cybie doesn't count!

I vote Archvile, but I felt all the additions were quite good other than Pain Elemental. I think if the PE had a melee attack it would have been better, and perhaps another attack or charge or something so it doesn't spawn too many lost souls right away.