Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
doom_marine666

What is your most hated demon in Doom?

16 hours ago, twistedhydrgoen said:

Mine is the Archvile, its very annoying.
It resurrects other demons, but hey, at least it doesn't resurrect cyber demons.
On the bright side, these suckers are rare.
(BTW, it can be from doom 2 aswell.)

arch.gif

15 hours ago, Katey Kat said:

friccin chaingunners. they're like shotgunners but on steroids. at least archviles are rare.

55968c2bc143381389da1b80eb2505013ba1415c_00.gif

DBcUtoo.png.33285c47e970b32b5b78fe842226b011.png

For me, it depends on how the demons are positioned level-design-wise. MAP12: The Factory has this teleporter which ambushes you between four imps at close range, which can be more annoying than even an Archvile, as they will constantly deliver slashes. If there is enough space, a revenant can be fine on its own. But then you throw three at me inside a small space, they're awful. Archviles in an open space without cover are hell, but are fun to fight with a super shotgun and a pillar in the middle of the room. Pain Elementals can be fun, and with infighting can clear rooms, but spam them like Plutonia MAP32: Go 2 It and they'll end up being one of the worst parts of the map. Each demon is designed to work differently depending on how the level works, meaning it's impossible to create a universal comparison with just a single type of area.

Open area without cover? Good against Cyberdemons, but horrible against Archviles and Chaingunners.

Claustrophobic area? No demon is good, but a Revenant ends up being worse than an Archvile.

Even Chaingunners can be ok if in moderation, like Go 2 It did. Just shoot two rockets to kill all 4 Chaingunners. (see edit1)

Plutonia MAP16? It's possible to succeed, but expect a lot of red flashing on your screen until you do.

tl;dr: depends on conditions, but hitscan is typically worse than projectiles.

Edit1: Just remembered that after getting the blue key, a dozen Revenants, two Archviles, and about 20 Chaingunners appear inside one area, as well as three other Archviles in the "Lotsa-Mancubus Area." Don't scowl at my ignorance, I've only managed to complete the map twice in my life.

Edited by ArgentFrequencies

Pinkies and Spectres, especially when like five of them corner your ass and start tearing away.

Pain Elementals are also annoying if you can't get in their face and stop them from spawning Lost Souls.

12 minutes ago, ArgentFrequencies said:

Plutonia MAP16? It's possible to succeed, but expect a lot of red flashing on your screen until you do.

Surprisingly on one of my runs in Plutonia I died in almost every map. 16 was not one of them. 

As for the question: 

Me: I hate lost souls, revenants and pain in the *ss elementals! 

Also me: Revenants are the salt of Doom. 

Personally, I like a lot of maps with lots of revenants, hell knights, barons, mancubi and arachnotrons and tend to use them a lot in my maps. Same as the gunners, maybe you have seen, but every map I have created this far includes lots of gunners. The much I hate revenants, I just don't see a way the maps become better without them. Still, this doesn't change the fact they're responsible for 80% of my deaths, because of their homing missles. Yes, I'm more likely to die to a revenant than to anything else. The same revenant has killed me a few times in a row, while the same chaingunner hasn't. 

Pain elementals are bad in wide open areas. Most notably I hate the ones in Diehard (MM24) and Post Mortem (HR24) who spawn all the way on the other side of the map and before you can kill them they have flooded the level with lost souls. Lost souls themselves are meh, especially the ones in E2M8 of Doom. They're simply unpredictable and most often you can't see or hear them and can't guarantee dodging the hit. The reason why they don't count as kills since Doom 2 - since lots of players wondered why - is that in the DOS version when a pain elemental was killed, her lost souls happened to sometimes get stuck behind walls and outside of the map. For some reason John Romero never solved that bug in the code and it was only Jim Flynn and the other creators of Boom that found out what caused it. ZDoom counts them as kills and also doesn't give out this problem. Of course, comp settings can always be changed in source ports. 

Nevertheless, these three take the spot. As for the alhated arch-viles, tied with barons of hell they're my favorite enemies of the game. No wonder my avatar has barons. 

I would say "Archvile" or any other enemy, but id say that i hate the shotgun guys and zombiemen. Those dudes snipe-killed me too many times to count in map02 and map04 of DOOM 2.

Going by those that take the most health off of me when I play:

1) Heavy Weapon Dude

2) Shotgun Guy

3) Unavoidable damaging floors

I especially hate number 3 because you can't even kill them :(. Truly the most diabolical enemy in the game.

12 hours ago, Juza said:

Pinkies and Spectres. Useless, harmless meat walls made to waste my ammo.

What about facing those with fast monsters enabled, and dark areas in vanilla and non zdoom sourports.

OT: I would say stealth archies but with enough cover they aren't much more dangerous than regular archies. 

The ones i "hate" are the SS Nazi and Commander Keen. The former is a discount chaingunner/semi-auto shotgunner that looks out of place in its own levels even without every other monster. The later is a final middle finger to Tom Hall. Both are a waste of space, that could've used for proper monsters, like a more dangerous flying enemy or something else.

13 hours ago, Juza said:

Pinkies and Spectres. Useless, harmless meat walls made to waste my ammo.

Have you ever heard of chainsaw or berserk pack? At least if they're not in combo you can kill them that way. 

2 hours ago, Solmyr said:

What about facing those with fast monsters enabled, and dark areas in vanilla and non zdoom sourports.

That depends on how dark the area is. Slightly dark is fine.

On 2/11/2020 at 12:13 PM, twistedhydrgoen said:

Mine is the Archvile, its very annoying.....
On the bright side, these suckers are rare.

arch.gif

You think so? Try playing 50 Monsters or some of the later levels of Moonblood.

In all seriousness though, I have a particular aversion to these things as well. Fine to have a monster with a very powerful attacking move, but the business about reviving enemies that I've already disposed of is a bit naff, IMO. This extends to any situation where there's potentially scope for infinite creation or recreation of adversaries, so that makes the IoS and Pain Elementals pretty loathsome specimens as well.

Finally, Lost Souls - hugely annoying!

One of the funniest posts I ever read on here was from someone who said that Archviles were their favourite monsters 'because they're doctors'!

Uppahaha!!

Just now, nelguy said:

LOST SOULS

I am Heavy Weapons Guy.... and THIS.... is my wep'n

She weights "less than air" kilogramms and fires and blasts your face  "faster than you can say "Hurt me Plenty" per minute.

4 hours ago, idbeholdME said:

Going by those that take the most health off of me when I play:

1) Heavy Weapon Dude

2) Shotgun Guy

3) Unavoidable damaging floors

I especially hate number 3 because you can't even kill them :(. Truly the most diabolical enemy in the game.

it's worse with tnumber 3 in Heretic because you can't dominate them with IDCLIP and IDDQD as far as i can tell

Hmmn... In terms of sheer functionality... The spider mastermind. 

I hate that you can't really stun the thing, it takes forever to kill, and there's no cover whatsoever, so your only really option is to run franticly and hope the

-hitscan- doesn't hit you. 

Not to mention the other demons in the arena. Sure you can do infighting, but usually for me, they always die first. 

Lost souls, it would be fine if they were fast to kill but nooo make them annoying as hell to kill

On 2/11/2020 at 12:41 PM, Pablo_Doom_Guy said:

kill them with 2 BFG shots

*laughs in Episode 2*

In classic Doom it has to be the pain elementals for literally making a wall of fuck you whenever I'm just trying to have fun.

In 2016? Fucking pinkies. Bastards can tank two Siege Mode shots (which'd fucking rinse a Baron) and not even flinch. And half the time some hitbox bug means jumping over them doesn't even work.