Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Foebane72

So Megatextures are NO MORE in id Tech 7

The big thing about id Techs 5 and 6 were Megatextures, basically massive single texture files that resulted in incredible amounts of detail on walls, floors, etc, with no repetition. However, they were prone to "texture pop in", when the player looked in a certain direction and the engine had to load in the textures not previously loaded. It was awful in id Tech 5, but improved somewhat in id Tech 6. However, id Tech 7 has now done away with it altogether, even though it has even more unique detail in the textures. So how are the textures organised now? Are they attached to portions of the map, broken up into smaller, more manageable pieces? I have no idea how it works.

Anyone know?

27 minutes ago, sluggard said:

Take a look at this, less pop-ins and more details:

Key thing he says is this was running on a 2080ti so we'll see how well it runs on xb1, PS4 and even more importantly the switch 

I imagine they'd have to downgrade some of their assets to get it to run on Switch and cap the FPS and change some other things like they did with 2016, but I'm no game developer so we'll see.

"Doom 2016 marked id Software's return to form as both a game and technical powerhouse"

Excuse me, Doom 3 was a technical powerhouse as well, don't pretend otherwise.

7 minutes ago, Foebane72 said:

Doom 3 was a technical powerhouse as well, don't pretend otherwise.

I don't think they are pretending otherwise though? I took it more as "they did this before, and now they're doing it again"

13 minutes ago, sluggard said:

I don't think they are pretending otherwise though? I took it more as "they did this before, and now they're doing it again"

Maybe they meant it was technically outstanding, but slightly lacking as a "true" Doom experience. My quote had the word "both", from the video. That's what I'm thinking, anyway.

55 minutes ago, Foebane72 said:

"Doom 2016 marked id Software's return to form as both a game and technical powerhouse"

Excuse me, Doom 3 was a technical powerhouse as well, don't pretend otherwise.

Pretty sure they were comparing it to Rage, the previous title, which technically speaking, was a flop with how the video cards of the day couldn't provide a stable experience, and it sacrificed such id staples as 60 FPS to even do the paltry bit it did.

6 minutes ago, Quasar said:

Pretty sure they were comparing it to Rage, the previous title, which technically speaking, was a flop with how the video cards of the day couldn't provide a stable experience, and it sacrificed such id staples as 60 FPS to even do the paltry bit it did.

Good point, I forgot about Rage. I played it back in the day, but didn't like the RPG elements or the endless racing (among other things) and had to force myself to complete it, and I never touched it again. I don't give a toss about Rage 2 as a result.

4 minutes ago, Foebane72 said:

I don't give a toss about Rage 2 as a result.

The game is kind of meh, it doesn't even use idtech. It's Avalanche's Apex engine.

I'm probably the only here that legit loves Rage 1. I shame I couldn't get RAGE 2 to run on my Laptop even tho it's within its requirements.

49 minutes ago, Foebane72 said:

Good point, I forgot about Rage. I played it back in the day, but didn't like the RPG elements or the endless racing (among other things) and had to force myself to complete it, and I never touched it again. I don't give a toss about Rage 2 as a result.

Rage 2 is basically Rage 1's open world plus new age Doom's combat. It's fun if you're in it for the combat alone but if you care about the other stuff, yeah I'd pass on it.

7 hours ago, Novaseer said:

Rage 2 is basically Rage 1's open world plus new age Doom's combat. It's fun if you're in it for the combat alone but if you care about the other stuff, yeah I'd pass on it.

So it's a devoid of shit to do on it other than vehicular combat? That's kinda disappointing tbh, Avalanche's games have been severely criticized since Just Cause 3, then 4 with all of their immense performance issues. In fact, I heard that RAGE 2's sales were not all that hot and that was what cost Tim Willit's job at Id Software.

7 hours ago, TheRedTide said:

In fact, I heard that RAGE 2's sales were not all that hot and that was what cost Tim Willit's job at Id Software.

I don't remember reading anywhere about that, but this was also one of my theories. Rage 2 failed while Doom 2016 was a success. Do you know who was the design lead of the initial Doom 4?

22 hours ago, Foebane72 said:

The big thing about id Techs 5 and 6 were Megatextures, basically massive single texture files that resulted in incredible amounts of detail on walls, floors, etc, with no repetition. However, they were prone to "texture pop in", when the player looked in a certain direction and the engine had to load in the textures not previously loaded. It was awful in id Tech 5, but improved somewhat in id Tech 6. However, id Tech 7 has now done away with it altogether, even though it has even more unique detail in the textures. So how are the textures organised now? Are they attached to portions of the map, broken up into smaller, more manageable pieces? I have no idea how it works.

Anyone know?

That was my only grip with Doom 2016, the texture pop-in was horrendous. There was some screen tearing issues at release but they fixed that with a patch i believe.

I didn't notice it in Doom 2016, at first I thought they did away with Megatextures but it turns out they didn't, I don't remember where I read it but there was an article talking about technical details of Doom 2016 and how they improved texture streaming.
E: nevermind, my memory is fuzzy, it doesn't talk about improved texture streaming but it does talk about texture streaming.

Edited by sluggard

5 hours ago, igg said:

Do you know who was the design lead of the initial Doom 4?

Kevin Cloud was "creative director" for Doom 4 1.0. He eventually ceded the post to Hugo Martin, who changed direction to arrive at the Doom 2016 we have.

6 hours ago, igg said:

I don't remember reading anywhere about that, but this was also one of my theories. Rage 2 failed while Doom 2016 was a success. Do you know who was the design lead of the initial Doom 4?

EDIT: Kevin Cloud, as Gez has stated above me.

Edited by TheRedTide