Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eurisko

The Unity Port Thread - PS/Xbox/Switch/IOS/Android

On 1/30/2020 at 2:26 PM, Shadow Hog said:

Not that id was asking us what would be good ideas for inclusion, but assuming there aren't rights headaches with Atari to sort out, I'd love to see Perdition's Gate, especially given it was allegedly originally intended for inclusion in Final Doom proper.

The inclusion of commercial wads would be pretty interesting to see. For what it's worth, Tom Mustaine seems to consider Perdition's Gate to be abandonware, considering he's had it linked from his portfolio of work since 2011. Although that would likely also mean that digging up and working out the rights to it would be difficult.

On 1/30/2020 at 3:34 AM, famicommander said:

Might as well include them even if they suck. They got officially released.

It's cool to see more official levels but their low quality far below the usual standards drives me nuts.   They could have just picked better stuff randomly off idgames.  In the state they were released, they're like a stain upon official releases.

I saw somewhere here someone is working on fixing up at least Sewers so hopefully that turns out well, up to or beyond par.   Don't know about Betray.   That one could use a lot of the delete key as someone wents nuts with the insert key and it totally messes up the single player progression of getting weapons and ammo in Doom 2.

As for the GBADM maps it would be cool to see a community project of fixing them up.   They could use a doubling in size like Doomkid did with Jumbo Dwango since there's too much of cramped little 64-wide corridors and then detailed, balanced, and made more functional (with no blocking invisible lines!) from there.   I think I'll take it upon myself to fix up one or a few otherwise, eventually.   Got other mapping/modding priorities right now.

On 1/26/2020 at 3:29 PM, Gokuma said:

EDIT: I have the Quake v1.01 install files I was given before I got my own legit CD, so that's probably the version of Quake with Kickdoom on the CD before they ditched it with later versions.

According to this page, indeed, there was a particular CD which did include these levels.

As curiosity, they misspelled on the credits lump McGee and Carmack as McGree and Carmac, respectively. At least, they spelled correctly Petersen... And these two PWADs were compiled using DeuTex, so any tall sprite will be affected by this bug / limitation of the vanilla renderer (fortunately already fixed in classic Boom).

4 minutes ago, Diabolución said:

According to this page, indeed, there was a particular CD which did include these levels.

As curiosity, they misspelled on the credits lump McGee and Carmack as McGree and Carmac, respectively. At least, they spelled correctly Petersen... And these two PWADs were compiled using DeuTex, so any tall sprite will be affected by this bug / limitation of the vanilla renderer (fortunately already fixed in classic Boom).

AH HA!!  I knew it!   I'd like to congratulate the two of us for the good detective work.     Damn, I never knew about that tall sprite bug.   I used dmgraph, NWT, and Wintex and never tried Deutex myself, before the days of Slade3, XWE, and Wad Mangle.

1 hour ago, Gokuma said:

AH HA!!  I knew it!   I'd like to congratulate the two of us for the good detective work.     Damn, I never knew about that tall sprite bug.   I used dmgraph, NWT, and Wintex and never tried Deutex myself, before the days of Slade3, XWE, and Wad Mangle.

I would like to take credit as the first person to notice this 

Might as well get a comparison shot in here, since this little-known bug is still present in the current ports! Regular Doom II vs TNT and Plutonia.

Also while taking these shots, I realized there's currently no way to minimize/remove the HUD. Wouldn't mind having that back on the - / + keys.

DOOM_II_20200201_11-14-44-262.png.2acf8e3826d88f1b3a5124f65c60a95e.png

When I play either TNT: Evilution or The Plutonia Experiment in either vanilla or Chocolate Doom I load a PWAD which contains every sprite and sound from doom2.wad to get rid of this bug without editing the IWADs themselves...

I guess that a similar workaround could be used in this case. That is, merging into the affected IWADs a PWAD with every sprite and sound from doom2.wad to override the damaged ones by that ancient version of DeuTex. But of course, that is not my business...

Without said PWAD.

sgbroken.png

With said PWAD.

sgfixed.png

Edited by Diabolución

15 hours ago, Linguica said:

I would like to take credit as the first person to notice this 

Man, that's a trip that the Aliens and Batman TC's actually compensated for it!

5 minutes ago, Gez said:

"Ralphins"

To be fair, misspelling Ralphjis's name is a Doomworld past time.

1 hour ago, Man of Doom said:

Welp, we can officially add Double Impact to that list of the Elite Switch/iOS club.

https://slayersclub.bethesda.net/en/article/fhgbjXjwvgAjsM48F8UgI/nods-to-mods-double-impact

Why are all of the gameplay clips in this news post very obviously recorded in ZDoom/GZDoom in software mode?

Edit: An examination of the Bethesda-ized WAD of Double Impact reveals that the intermission screen graphic was changed to replace unlicensed Hungarian Doomguy (which is still used in the above news post).

pysmi9J.png

ubjRRSQ.png

The names of the first and last levels have also been inexplicably changed here, introducing a canonical error as they disagree with the automap and WILV lump names.

Edited by Revenant100

34 minutes ago, Revenant100 said:

Why are all of the gameplay clips in this news post very obviously recorded in ZDoom/GZDoom in software mode?

GZDoom is official now. 😛

What was the original source for that "unlicensed Hungarian" guy? Since the official add-ons are officially curated by Bethesda, meaning that they're vouching for them and allowing them to be used on platforms that firmly forbid fun any sort of user-provided content, they probaby felt uncomfortable with allowing things with unclear copyright from being downloaded from their servers.

That means, all those mods with Hexen or Dark Forces textures and with Duke Nukem 3D or Rise of the Triad MIDIs? Yeah, they won't be Official Add-Ons™ any time soon.

25 minutes ago, Lizardcommando said:

Boo, that sucks. They shouldn't have changed the intermission pic. Now he no longer looks like an engineer as originally intended.

Given that graphic was from a bootleg novel, it's not really a case of what they wanted to do or not, it had to be done.

Also

[8:32 AM] dewsome: this messes with my current understanding of the dbimpact lore!!

[8:32 AM] sponge: Lol how so Eisen is even a mechanic

Additionally, something I’ve been thinking about when it comes to Bethesda’s internal engine:

What exactly is it based off of? I know it’s technically a derivative of Unity, but what I’m asking about is the base of the Unity offshoot. Is it based off of Boom, Chocolate Doom, Doomsday?

I ask because I keep thinking about the many, many limit-removing/Boom-compatible megawads out there, and whether this engine will be able to tackle mapsets like Going Down or Eviternity.

Also, hilarious side note:

I keep noticing that in the comments for this announcement (on Twitter) that the Peanut Gallery(tm) keeps clamoring for a Certain Brewtal Mod Which Shall Go Unnamed (despite the fact that its sound effects could very much break copyright and that it’s way too advanced for Bethesda’s internal engine).

11 minutes ago, Man of Doom said:

What exactly is it based off of? I know it’s technically a derivative of Unity, but what I’m asking about is the base of the Unity offshoot. Is it based off of Boom, Chocolate Doom, Doomsday?

Uhh, none of these. Remember, they can't stick a GPL port on consoles, and Doomsday straight up doesn't have the original software renderer (and I don't think it even has demo compatibility?), which these screenshots straight up demonstrate it still having. Even the thing you said you knew is also wrong, it's not derived from Unity in the slightest.
What's actually going on is that it's a branch from their internal Doom port all the way back from the original Xbox (which in turn is built from Doom v1.9). That code is a headless library with interfaces that can be slotted into any other engine, currently with this version it's running in Unity, but the keyword is in, it's treating Unity as nothing more than an Operating System. It has the complete original software renderer and is even demo compatible.

6 minutes ago, Man of Doom said:

I ask because I keep thinking about the many, many limit-removing/Boom-compatible megawads out there, and whether this engine will be able to tackle mapsets like Going Down or Eviternity.

Unity is just the input/display layer. It’s the original Doom engine, specifically the XB360 versions converted to run as a DLL. That means it can be loaded and driven from just about any language that can load native libraries. In this case, it’s loaded into Unity. It has had many limits raised, but no DEH support, and no support for any of the Boom specials. Some limits removal stuff still doesn’t quite work, but many should. 

Interesting mapset choice. 

I wouldn't mind if all Cacowards mapsets get included for this. 

Good development, more recognition for the quality community stuff from a consumers perspective :)

1 hour ago, Redneckerz said:

I wouldn't mind if all Cacowards mapsets get included for this. 

Well, for a start, they're restricted to vanilla features -- no Boom, ZDoom, or other. That will severely reduce the pool.

Then apparently they're checking the assets used to avoid copyright infringements. That's gonna be a big one, too.

55 minutes ago, Gez said:

copyright infringements

*laughs in Alice in Chains*