Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Foebane72

Remember when Doom was SIMPLE?

1 minute ago, jazzmaster9 said:

I wouldn't call someone who moves like A Bicycle Slow paced.

Also imagine thinking Q3 is shit...

The monsters were quite slow though, and it's almost a bigger deal than Doomguy's speed IMO in terms of defining the gameplay.

Also, not everyone wants their singleplayer game to be a string of small deathmatch arenas populated by handicapped bots...

2 minutes ago, Antroid said:

The monsters were quite slow though, and it's almost a bigger deal than Doomguy's speed IMO in terms of defining the gameplay.

Also, not everyone wants their singleplayer game to be a string of small deathmatch arenas populated by handicapped bots...

I personally still wouldn't call Doom's gameplay as slow paced though, since its main focus is speed and reaction time.

And the enemies fron Eternal are anything but Handicapped bots, you can say that most of classic Doom is just an arena with slow moving bots.

Just now, jazzmaster9 said:

I personally still wouldn't call Doom's gameplay as slow paced though, since its main focus is speed and reaction time.

And the enemies fron Eternal are anything but Handicapped bots, you can say that most of classic Doom is just an arena with slow moving bots.

Yeah, I guess it's not quite "slow paced" but until you get into the crazier custom levels or maybe parts of Plutonia, it's definitely several levels of magnitude slower than the frantic Doom 4. I'm more used to it, still have some problems keeping up with the Doom 4 fights, but that's just me being bad probably.

I dunno about eternal, but the enemies in Doom 4 could navigate as well as bots in deathmatch arenas, and moved around as much, so in my book they're definitely closer to deathmatch bots than the original doom enemies whose speed was much lower, traversal was much more limited and behaviors were much simpler.

Hot take: Classic Doom is only slow paced if you play it at a slow pace.

Also hot take: Some people hated Doom'16 because it wouldn't let them play at their own (slow) pace.

3 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

Hot take: Classic Doom is only slow paced if you play it at a slow pace.

It's also only a first person shooter if you actually shoot.

any doom game made after 1994 arnt good... all they know is graphics, charge they BFG, punch, be angry, rip, tear, and lie

Edited by Skootroot

what i mean is that the killing monster thing in doom 2 was methodic, and not epileptic...

quake 3 is not shit, but the gameplay is suited more for multiplayer

antyroid nailed it, it's look like you are killing bots in DM...

17 hours ago, Foebane72 said:

You need Ultimate Doom or Doom 2 FOR Brutal Doom, it won't work otherwise. It's a mod, after all.

You also can just grab BFG edition to get the WAD files. They are hidden in the Steam files though.

1 hour ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

Some people hated Doom'16 because it wouldn't let them play at their own (slow) pace.

I didn't hate Doom '16, but not gonna lie, I didn't like the constant arenas and lockdowns thing, it's all but more noticeable on subsequent playthroughs and made it feel repetitive.

2 hours ago, jazzmaster9 said:

I wouldn't call someone who moves like A Bicycle Slow paced.

Also imagine thinking Q3 is shit...

In @Amph's defense, there is something to be said about how classic Doom (and for that matter, Quake 2) are slower paced games than say, Quake 1 and 3, especially in single player. Even with the player's top move speed in Doom being pretty insane, I think it's fair to say that most of us played it much slower back in the day, especially if we were using keyboard only (I didn't start using the mouse till the source ports myself).

Of course, the odd thing is that Doom 3 is basically the Doom sequel for "slower Doom" preferences. Stranger still: as much as I love 2016, and as hyped as I am for Eternal.... all of this has been making me really want to give Doom 3 another (fifteenth) try. Sadly, my discs are all the way back in India, though I'm thinking of re-ordering it off of Steam or Bethesda.

I see what OP is getting at but If you watch a vid of someone playing Doom (2016) for the first time what with the jumping, the double jump, changing weapon mods on the fly, grenades and the different types of grenades ........ It can all look very overwhelming.

Doom Eternal, just like Doom (2016) will gradually introduce you to these new mechanics. 

They won't just dump all this on you right at the start. It'll be fine.

1 hour ago, Taurus Daggerknight said:

Of course, the odd thing is that Doom 3 is basically the Doom sequel for "slower Doom" preferences. Stranger still: as much as I love 2016, and as hyped as I am for Eternal.... all of this has been making me really want to give Doom 3 another (fifteenth) try. Sadly, my discs are all the way back in India, though I'm thinking of re-ordering it off of Steam or Bethesda.

PLEASE, re-order it off of Steam, it's only £4. And NOT the shitty BFG Edition, the original is on there, too, original flashlight mechanic and all.

2 minutes ago, Foebane72 said:

PLEASE, re-order it off of Steam, it's only £4. And NOT the shitty BFG Edition, the original is on there, too, original flashlight mechanic and all.

Oh absolutely. I mean, I may cave in and go duct-tape, but nothing I've heard about the BFG edition sounds enticing. Besides.... I may want to con the wife into doing (Open) co-cop with me, which I suspect BFG edition will be a pain to use in that case. 

3 hours ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

Also hot take: Some people hated Doom'16 because it wouldn't let them play at their own (slow) pace.

Eternal takes that to a whole new level (I.e learn how everything works or GTFO), so those same people are going to have an issue when they then find out the game just kills you for things as simple as not switching weapons.

6 minutes ago, oCrapaCreeper said:

Eternal takes that to a whole new level (I.e learn how everything works or GTFO), so those same people are going to have an issue when they then find out the game just kills you for things as simple as not switching weapons.

Most people seem intent on playing DE on the Ultra-Violence difficulty. I'm not too proud to admit that I'll be starting Eternal on Hurt Me Plenty, which will doubtless be more forgiving. I want to at least familiarise myself with the game's mechanics before I let it start kicking my ass.

48 minutes ago, Taurus Daggerknight said:

I may want to con the wife into doing (Open) co-cop with me, which I suspect BFG edition will be a pain to use in that case. 

Even base Doom3 isn't any good for that. All co-op mods are abandoned, unfinished (in a way that can cause significant problems one way or another) and with no source code meaning they can't even be finished by someone else. Weirdly the original Xbox version is still the only decent way to play co-op.

11 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

Even base Doom3 isn't any good for that. All co-op mods are abandoned, unfinished (in a way that can cause significant problems one way or another) and with no source code meaning they can't even be finished by someone else. Weirdly the original Xbox version is still the only decent way to play co-op.

See, I remember running Open Coop with my former colleagues years ago, on LAN. There was...maybe the once in a blue moon jankiness, but it otherwise ran okay if memory serves. 

What issues have you run into, and from which mod?

Open co-op has several UIs that desync and several maps the fail the launch for clients if run as a continuous session, and ROE might as well not work.

For what it's worth, I played through the entirety of D3 with a friend using LMS4 and it worked fine all the way to the end, laggy elevators, trains and moving level parts aside.

On 2/11/2020 at 1:50 PM, sluggard said:

I didn't hate Doom '16, but not gonna lie, I didn't like the constant arenas and lockdowns thing, it's all but more noticeable on subsequent playthroughs and made it feel repetitive.

I recently finished D16 for the second time after a while that i had finished for the first time.
Like, even less than halfway through the game, you already seen everything it has to offer.
It becomes a chore very quick, it drags, is boring, is VERY repetitive, the arenas suck, the lock downs suck, except stuff like the Foundry part the level design (which actually kinda feels like Doom) shines in its absence. 
Very soon in the game you already got all the good mods for the weapons, the others are there just because, and they still force you to get them 
They take ages to give you stuff that you should have at the start of the game, like the double jump, in fact the whole idea of upgrades is just out of place in a Doom game, or at least it seems that way because it was not well implemented. 
The unskippable cutscenes are boring. 
The game is pretty and loud but dumb, you need no strategy to do anything, in the originals if you went Rambo style you died, as simple as that, but here is the exact opposite and the only way of approach, i had to force myself to finish the game because i just did not felt like it, because the game has nothing to hook you with.
The design of the enemies mostly suck, is too long, more than what it needs to be, it has no replay value, and i could go on and on.
Is a very well made, boring game.

I recently started playing Doom 3 and while not perfect is way more enjoyable, but i am surprised that Doom, a game over 20 years old is still better than 99% of the mainstream stuff that is released.

I think that Eternal is gonna be better at what Doom 2016 did good, and worse in what Doom 2016 did bad, we will see.

11 minutes ago, D88M3R said:

I recently started playing Doom 3 and while not perfect is way more enjoyable, but i am surprised that Doom, a game over 20 years old is still better than 99% of the mainstream stuff that is released.

I think that Eternal is gonna be better at what Doom 2016 did good, and worse in what Doom 2016 did bad, we will see.

I'm surprised of the sudden resurgence of Doom 3 love when it was hated for having"modern" mechanics and "Slow Pace". I feel this is similar to what's happening in the Star Wars fandom where the prequels are now loved and the new movies are hated, even when the new ones are marketed to be close to the original. Basically people hated the prequels for being too different, but when the new movies tried to imitate what made the originals good, people somehow loved the prequels more. Idk its just my opinion.

5 hours ago, BetaMarine said:

I'm surprised of the sudden resurgence of Doom 3 love when it was hated for having"modern" mechanics and "Slow Pace". I feel this is similar to what's happening in the Star Wars fandom where the prequels are now loved and the new movies are hated, even when the new ones are marketed to be close to the original. Basically people hated the prequels for being too different, but when the new movies tried to imitate what made the originals good, people somehow loved the prequels more. Idk its just my opinion.

Because the Prequels tried something new and different, as Doom 3 did. Doom 2016 and the Sequels bathed in nostalgia but went a convoluted way about doing it, which turned some people off but still others couldn't get enough.

Could Eternal be the Rise of Skywalker of Doom? A complicated mess that many didn't like? We'll see.

44 minutes ago, Foebane72 said:

Because the Prequels tried something new and different, as Doom 3 did. Doom 2016 and the Sequels bathed in nostalgia but went a convoluted way about doing it, which turned some people off but still others couldn't get enough.

Could Eternal be the Rise of Skywalker of Doom? A complicated mess that many didn't like? We'll see.

So in other words. People have different opinions on products?? Wow what a discovery right?

7 minutes ago, jazzmaster9 said:

So in other words. People have different opinions on products?? Wow what a discovery right?

Well, it seems that everyone, absolutely EVERYONE here is champing at the bit for Doom Eternal, no naysayers at all. Prove me wrong.

8 minutes ago, Foebane72 said:

Well, it seems that everyone, absolutely EVERYONE here is champing at the bit for Doom Eternal, no naysayers at all. Prove me wrong.

Well for one you aren't 

21 minutes ago, Marn said:

Well for one you aren't 

I'm on the fence. If I could play it with GeForce Now, reliably, I'd be satisfied. At least I could try it first.

32 minutes ago, Foebane72 said:

There have been many naysayers for Doom Eternal. What rock have you been living under?

34 minutes ago, Foebane72 said:

no, this forum seems to have a distinct increase in new doom haters. It is honestly really freaking annoying when I just want to get some news and more ideal discussions then whatever this is.

1 minute ago, ZALGO said:

no, this forum seems to have a distinct increase in new doom haters. It is honestly really freaking annoying when I just want to get some news and more ideal discussions then whatever this is.

Hey wanna hear about how much I hate Doom Eternal and how its going to ruin Classic Doom Forever?

1 minute ago, jazzmaster9 said:

Hey wanna hear about how much I hate Doom Eternal and how its going to ruin Classic Doom Forever?

Yup, pretty much the mentality of this forum. It's not really fun digging for info and remaining hyped when you gotta sift through some of these comments.