Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Taurus Daggerknight

Family picture?

Saw it on reddit. General consensus is that was the Slayer’s family and he tore his own face off the picture. Probably couldn’t save them from something and felt guilty.

Just a guess, but maybe Daisy the Rabbit makes more sense if it belonged to his kid but stayed alive and Doomguy took care of it. Obvious generic John Wick plot but it probably make more sense that way if Daisy is indeed part of the actual canon.

Edited by oCrapaCreeper

Honestly, not super jazzed if this IS part of his backstory, as so many adult male protagonists, especially in video games, have the same exact backstory. I mean, either way, I'm picking up the game, but if his backstory is that he lost his family to the demons, I'm gonna be kind of disappointed.

10 minutes ago, Egg Boy said:

Honestly, not super jazzed if this IS part of his backstory, as so many adult male protagonists, especially in video games, have the same exact backstory. I mean, either way, I'm picking up the game, but if his backstory is that he lost his family to the demons, I'm gonna be kind of disappointed.

Well, considering his back story previously was he lost his rabbit to demons instead, this is probably a step up.

Just now, oCrapaCreeper said:

Well, considering his back story previously was he lost his rabbit to demons instead, this is probably a step up.

Nah, fam. I much prefer it just being his rabbit, mostly because they don't really go into detail, and its mostly a joke. I don't really see how you can make a man's whole family being murdered a joke. This particular backstory wouldn't be engaging or new, especially if the game puts a certain degree of emphasis on it. Perhaps it wont focus on it too much, we'll see come march.

I'm actually a little suspicious of it being -his- family. I mean, if it was...wouldn't he have kept the picture somewhere safer? In that entire personal chamber of stuff meticulously placed, why would something as sacred as the last picture of his family be left battered and torn under the bookshelf, like it was nothing more than packing paper? Hell, even the Daisy painting has a place of honor... 

1 minute ago, Taurus Daggerknight said:

I'm actually a little suspicious of it being -his- family. I mean, if it was...wouldn't he have kept the picture somewhere safer? In that entire personal chamber of stuff meticulously placed, why would something as sacred as the last picture of his family be left battered and torn under the bookshelf, like it was nothing more than packing paper? Hell, even the Daisy painting has a place of honor... 

I mean like I speculated, that face ripped out is probably his. He probably doesn’t like seeing it.

A dev probably just wanted to put his family in the game like how the guys that did Half-Life Blue-shift and Opposing Force put some baby photos into the game

With the amount of fan service they put into the "new" franchise i would love to see Daisy, and Commander Keen with Blazkowicz in the family tree.

I 100% agree with Egg Boy that a “the demons killed my family” backstory would be the most trite, overdone shit ever. I really, really hope they don’t go with that.

Daisy is a billion times more unique and always has been, the thought that his only worldly attachment is a rabbit is so oddly pure in a sense, aside from being much more original.

If it ends up being the case that his family was already dead well before the start of Doom1 or something, or maybe even that they were still alive but he just had to make the choice to leave them behind to stay in Hell and keep the demons at bay, even that would be a lot less lame and predictable.

Maybe we’ll get no insights at all and it will be left completely up to theorising. I could also accept that!

3 hours ago, Egg Boy said:

Nah, fam. I much prefer it just being his rabbit, mostly because they don't really go into detail, and its mostly a joke. I don't really see how you can make a man's whole family being murdered a joke. This particular backstory wouldn't be engaging or new, especially if the game puts a certain degree of emphasis on it. Perhaps it wont focus on it too much, we'll see come march.

Yeah i agree with this. The original ending with Daisy was sort of a joke. I also don't think Eternal will focus on the Slayers family too much tbh. It's probably just a little easter egg or something but who knows?

On 2/14/2020 at 9:30 AM, D88M3R said:

With the amount of fan service they put into the "new" franchise i would love to see Daisy, and Commander Keen with Blazkowicz in the family tree.

This isnt a "new" franchise though. Doom has been around since the 90s but ofcourse you should have already known thag given how much of a Trv Fan you are.

There is no way that can be Doomguy's family, since it is already canonically established that he is in fact a Virgin.

The more logical and canon compliant explanation of course is that it is a picture of Baby Slayer and his mother, Jane Doomgirl. The father figure is of course Commander Keen holding Billy DoomMarine's twin sister, Billie Keen, out of frame.

On vendredi 14 février 2020 at 12:15 AM, Egg Boy said:

On vendredi 14 février 2020 at 3:03 AM, Doomkid said:

I 100% agree with Egg Boy that a “the demons killed my family” backstory would be the most trite, overdone shit ever. I really, really hope they don’t go with that.

Realistically, though, demons did kill all his friends and relatives when they destroyed whatever world he originally came from.

I mean in Doom II we even get told that the opening to Hell on Earth is right there in Doomguy's hometown. If we imagine he had an existence before spawning in E1M1, then unless he was an aromantic friendless orphan, he had to have people he cared about in that city.

I FIGURED IT OUT!

If it is cannon that Doomguy is virgin and it doesn't make sense for the slayer to rip off his dad's face the other possibility is that this is indeed a family picture: of himself, a previously unmentioned sister and his nephew.

I'd love to see if there's a clue inside the game's resource file, in the name of this asset's texture... 🤔

There's only one clear answer. 

This is a picture given to the Slayer by Dr. Elena Richardson after their rendezvous. It's an older picture from after her separation with her husband, but before the demonic invasion (hence him being removed). It's not as if there's photo studios operating during the earth's destruction, so...you get what you get. A great memento from a great gal. 

Seems a bit late now but Slayer's face from the artbook perfectly matches what is left of the father's face in family photo. The ear and jawbone is literally the same.

Spoiler

a98eae8ef7609c0d327875a54f9aaa00aa21e4e9

I get people still think he's a virgin because of a funny chain of tweets, but you can't really trust the "old lore" anymore, it may or may not be canon and could be changed however the current devs want. The ending of the Ancient Gods already makes the blazkowicz linage story not make any sense if the Doom Marine himself has origins from before humanity even existed, since his appearance doesn't exactly belong time just him.

Edited by oCrapaCreeper

The virgin bit seems to be from a "screenshot" in which its true source was never posted.

If i recall, the Dark Lord looking like Doomguy may be more of a later/side effect from either the fear of demons and how long Doomguy fought Hell or maybe some plan thoughtout by "fighting fire with fire" idea.

The idea of a demonic entity copying a human form isn't out of nowhere.

Because otherwise, the idea that Doomguy always had the look of the real Devil seems a bit of a farfetched retcon. (specially when his new face doesn't even seem like a proper transition to HD, based on his original)

Mostly because it may make Doomguy more of a "chosen one" type when everything started because of a terrible time on his job.

Speaking on his face and the art styles differences:

I actually think a good/yet weird way to describe the new and old art style is that classic Doom "starts off" as cartoony, then has the "grittier" elements later on, while Eternal seems to start off with "gritty" or "realistic" stuff (like some human characters or assets), then there's the 1-ups and demons making goofy faces with their more detailed and "comic book" designs.

Could also apply the eras each one came around, where violent games were a topic when people associated the medium with Mario and Sonic or an age after both Call of Duty and cinematic Sony exclusives, even with something like Fortnite around.

This is off-topic anyway.

2 hours ago, whatup876 said:

The virgin bit seems to be from a "screenshot" in which its true source was never posted.

If i recall, the Dark Lord looking like Doomguy may be more of a later/side effect from either the fear of demons and how long Doomguy fought Hell or maybe some plan thoughtout by "fighting fire with fire" idea.

Lore deep dive time.

Davoth/The Dark Lord's true's appearance is what the Slayer looks like. Codex states gods when resurrected with their spheres take on their original form. There is also a codex entry with him showing the same likeness from the past. So, effectively The Slayer looks like the Dark Lord, not the other way around. Both are primevils of their home worlds, the only difference is the Slayer was born without his power because his home is meant to experience mortal hardship and value life, unlike Jekked.  It's possible the Slayer is a clone or reincarnation of some kind, the dark lord but in the earth realm. So, when VEGA says "He is you, in their world" it's quite literally true.

The Divinity Machine has the same mark that Davoth and the Slayer has. When he got to Sentinel Prime, Samur knew who the Doom Marine looked like and what would happen if his body was put into the machine: He would now have power equal to his counterpart in hell. That's why he said "I knew who you were the moment you set foot into our world, and who you could become to us". Samur is the only Maykr who could have known what the Dark Lord looks like and that the crazy PTSD marine raving on about demons has the same body, so not even the Khan Maykr caught on. 

Overall it seems the Doom Marine's existence was predetermined even before the OG games. Maybe Samur maykr or The Father are directly responsible for the chain of events that led to Eternal. From Reincarnating the Dark Lord somehow so he has an earth counter part that cares about his people like a mortal does, or sending the Slayer back in time to meet the Argenta - just theory crafting at this point, everything that happened seems planned. It's like those stories where the gods choose a champion to do their bidding for a higher goal - which by the end of the DLC the Slayer is just tired of.

Edited by oCrapaCreeper

On 1/4/2021 at 8:40 PM, oCrapaCreeper said:

Lore deep dive time.

Davoth/The Dark Lord's true's appearance is what the Slayer looks like. Codex states gods when resurrected with their spheres take on their original form. There is also a codex entry with him showing the same likeness from the past. So, effectively The Slayer looks like the Dark Lord, not the other way around. Both are primevils of their home worlds, the only difference is the Slayer was born without his power because his home is meant to experience mortal hardship and value life, unlike Jekked.  It's possible the Slayer is a clone or reincarnation of some kind, the dark lord but in the earth realm. So, when VEGA says "He is you, in their world" it's quite literally true.

The Divinity Machine has the same mark that Davoth and the Slayer has. When he got to Sentinel Prime, Samur knew who the Doom Marine looked like and what would happen if his body was put into the machine: He would now have power equal to his counterpart in hell. That's why he said "I knew who you were the moment you set foot into our world, and who you could become to us". Samur is the only Maykr who could have known what the Dark Lord looks like and that the crazy PTSD marine raving on about demons has the same body, so not even the Khan Maykr caught on. 

Overall it seems the Doom Marine's existence was predetermined even before the OG games. Maybe Samur maykr or The Father are directly responsible for the chain of events that led to Eternal. From Reincarnating the Dark Lord somehow so he has an earth counter part that cares about his people like a mortal does, or sending the Slayer back in time to meet the Argenta - just theory crafting at this point, everything that happened seems planned. It's like those stories where the gods choose a champion to do their bidding for a higher goal - which by the end of the DLC the Slayer is just tired of.

So basically GoW but with guns

On 2/14/2020 at 1:30 AM, D88M3R said:

I know this post is from almost a year ago now, but I did just want to point this out
Doom-Guy keeps the literal skull of Billy Blaze on his bookshelf, next to his weapon

DOOM-Eternal_20200322154223 (1).jpg

On 1/8/2021 at 8:43 PM, abunchoftrash said:

Doom-Guy keeps the literal skull of Billy Blaze on his bookshelf

Which is, if I'm not wrong, Doom Guy's great grandfather or something like that

I'd like to think that Id is gonna pull a plot-twist on us and this is a picture of a baby Doomguy and his mom. His father is cut out of the picture for reasons.

On 2/13/2020 at 10:04 PM, CyberDreams said:

Yeah i agree with this. The original ending with Daisy was sort of a joke. I also don't think Eternal will focus on the Slayers family too much tbh. It's probably just a little easter egg or something but who knows?

Off topic but I love your profile picture.

On 2/6/2021 at 4:55 PM, TenenteZashu said:

Which is, if I'm not wrong, Doom Guy's great grandfather or something like that

Yeah, it goes William Joseph "B.J." Blazkowicz (Wolfenstein Guy) ---> William J. Blazkowicz II (Commander Keen) ---> Stan Blazkowicz/ Flynn Taggart (Doomguy)

All the hints are pointing towards "It's his family lmao". I mean, it would make sense. 
Some dev probably added it without too much thought, and I prefer to pretend it doesn't exist.

Maybe it's a set up for a Jr Doom Slayer. The little boy goes looking for his long lost super bad-ass father.