Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eurisko

The Unity Port Thread - PS/Xbox/Switch/IOS/Android

Double Impact huh? Sounds pretty neat! I've never heard nor played this one! I'm glad that id Software is actually adding WAD's like they said they were going to :) I haven't logged into the Slayers Club in a while so i'll do that and read the interview with the creators as well as check out the other news since i'm sure i've missed some.

7 hours ago, Gez said:

What was the original source for that "unlicensed Hungarian" guy?

The cover of a hungarian release of one of the Doom novels.

Tiszt%C3%ADt%C3%B3t%C5%B1z.jpg

3 hours ago, SteelPH said:

Are Memento Mori 1 and 2 and Requiem safe as far infringing assets?

I believe they use new original textures. Alien Vendetta however has some Hexen stuff IIRC like stain glass windows and the portal mirror. Eternal Doom for instance is probably boned since it has a lot of Hexen assets.

https://slayersclub.bethesda.net/en/article/2vWKeaOTg7aydEPUkIVKK5/nods-to-mods-double-impact-interview

I agree with the text I have highlighted.

SC: Tell us about your music selections throughout the .WAD…

ROTTKING: Ralph wrote some new music for our episode which I really liked, but at the time I felt like I wanted to use a lot of DOOM's original music as well. Looking back on it now though, I think I should've let Ralph write a few more songs...

RALPHIS: I like the original DOOM music for the episode though. I curbed my want for all-original music because I didn’t want to seem like a vain jerk, ha ha! If I had created the WAD entirely by myself, I think I would’ve had a fully original soundtrack - but this was a partnership. I think the level set has a nice balance between new stuff and the classic DOOM soundtrack.

6 hours ago, Gez said:

Well, for a start, they're restricted to vanilla features -- no Boom, ZDoom, or other. That will severely reduce the pool.

Then apparently they're checking the assets used to avoid copyright infringements. That's gonna be a big one, too.

It is that it does not have a dedicated mapset (correct me if wrong, its early morning here and can't be incited to check) but i saw a great opportunity for Doom4Vanilla here. Play Doom2016 the way it was meant to be played ;)

9 hours ago, Edward850 said:

Given that graphic was from a bootleg novel, it's not really a case of what they wanted to do or not, it had to be done.

Also

Oh, I did not know that. I thought that was completely original.

19 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

Play Doom2016 the way it was meant to be played ;)

This is a weird thing to suggest. Doom2016 is demonstrably meant to be played in Doom2016, otherwise it wouldn't be Doom2016. You could certainly prefer it that way yourself, but it it can't be meant for something it was never made for.

(Also Doom4Vanilla is extremely crash prone in vanilla so it probably isn't suitable for consoles at all.) Apparently old information, sorry.

Edited by Edward850

1 hour ago, Redneckerz said:

Play Doom2016 the way it was meant to be played

Nah, the author once said (to me) that he doesn't recommend anyone to actually play the mod under vanilla 24/7 due to the visplane limits (IIRC).

And I think the mod contained many modified Doom 4 assets, so yeah. It would be cool if somehow Bethesda/Id managed to jam the mod into consoles though (seeing that the port belongs to the semi limit-removing category.)

Also

Then apparently they're checking the assets used to avoid copyright infringements. That's gonna be a big one, too.

I want BTSX next :P

Not gonna lie, this is pretty awesome for console players.

I hope they keep this up and allow people to download their own WADs and not pull a Todd Howard on us.

2 hours ago, cybdmn said:

The cover of a hungarian release of one of the Doom novels.

At the risk of going off-topic it's actually a totally different novel, unlicensed. It's the 2nd and final part of a series by Andras Gaspar under the pseudonym Damien Forrestal. This was done way back when copyright laws hadn't been harmonized in Hungary yet so you could get away with it there.

4 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

Doom4Vanilla

Oh yeah, that's another thing: no dehacked.

That will make it a bit hard to find suitable projects. But why not Freedoom? It would be amusing.

3 hours ago, Edward850 said:

This is a weird thing to suggest. Doom2016 is demonstrably meant to be played in Doom2016, otherwise it wouldn't be Doom2016. You could certainly prefer it that way yourself, but it it can't be meant for something it was never made for.

We truly live in purgatory when such a lightly meant comment - enhanced by using ;) - is translated as a serious comment.

That is the actual weird thing here, haha.

3 hours ago, Edward850 said:

(Also Doom4Vanilla is extremely crash prone in vanilla so it probably isn't suitable for consoles at all.)

What a misleading name then! (You are right ofcourse.)

Just now, Gez said:

Oh yeah, that's another thing: no dehacked.

They stuck to the conservative sides then.

Vanilla/limit-removing wads I would like to see:

- BTSX (E1 atleast)

- Deathless

- NEiS

- The Darkening E1 and E2.

- DTWiD (would have loved D2TWiD as well, but that uses commander keen textures and Dehacked monsters)

- Base Ganymede

- Scythe 1 (Scythe 2 again uses custom Dehacked monsters, so that one is not possible)

- Perdition's Gate

- JiffyBag

- Lunar Catastophe

- Baculus

- Sinergy

It would be damn near criminal not to have the Memento Mori trilogy.

I would also hope to see some deathmatch wads represented at some point, that would be excellent.

A vanilla compatible wad with zero copyright infringing material that instantly comes to mind is Dweller2.wad. In addition to having nothing but new levels, it even explicitly allows re-use of the maps in wad compilations or other such packs, so there should be no trouble at all in using it.

EXEC.wad is another 100% vanilla deathmatch wad that comes to mind. It has all-original music and custom graphics, so once again I can't imagine there would be any legal issues in using it.

There was a time where you'd be guaranteed to see one of these wads (or dwango, or greenwar) at any given time on Doom servers. You couldn't throw a stick without hitting a deathmatch server! Having access to such amazing wads might open more people's eyes to the joy of DM.

Wishful thinking I know, but damn, it would be so nice to see console Doomers actually having decent DM maps to play!

2 hours ago, ReaperAA said:

- BTSX (E1 atleast)

- Deathless

- NEiS

- DTWiD (would have loved D2TWiD as well, but that uses commander keen textures and Dehacked monsters)

- Base Ganymede

- Scythe 1 (Scythe 2 again uses custom Dehacked monsters, so that one is not possible)

- Perdition's Gate

- JiffyBag

- Lunar Catastophe

- Baculus

- Sinergy

On that note, may i also suggest Demonfear. Fully Vanilla without Dehacked, i immensely enjoyed this one from Adam Windsor because it consists of short but fun levels - Ideal for quick play's on fixed consoles, and pretty much perfect between bus rides/travel rides when on Switch.

OneManDoom entry of Demonfear.

14 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

It would be damn near criminal not to have the Memento Mori trilogy.

Trilogy? Didn't know there was MM3. (or are you talking about Requiem?)

Just now, Redneckerz said:

On that note, may i also suggest Demonfear. Fully Vanilla without Dehacked, i immensely enjoyed this one from Adam Windsor because it consists of short but fun levels - Ideal for quick play's on fixed consoles, and pretty much perfect between bus rides/travel rides when on Switch.

'

There are probably tons of great vanilla/limit-removing wads that I haven't mentioned (mostly because I don't much about them or haven't played them).

5 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

'

There are probably tons of great vanilla/limit-removing wads that I haven't mentioned (mostly because I don't much about them or haven't played them).

I was about to edit my post, but here is a What Links Here that details everything on the Doom Wiki that links to Vanilla Doom. Ofcourse, some of these (like Alien Vendetta) do contain DeHacked patches.

2 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

They stuck to the conservative sides then.

It's not that they "stuck to the conservative sides" by not implementing Dehacked patches, it's that implementing Dehacked without changing the .exe (which is how Dehacked originally worked, and is obviously not going to work for these ports which use a totally different executable) is a pretty substantial programming endeavor. 

There are likely other things that the devs are placing focus on first.

14 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

Isn't Requiem meant to be the 3rd Memento Mori? I've had this assumption in my head forever and I swear I've heard others say it, but now I can't find any info confirming it other than having several mappers in common and I'm wondering if I just Mandela effected myself somewhere along the track.

(Not to derail too much or anything..)

3 hours ago, ReaperAA said:

- BTSX (E1 atleast)

- Deathless

- NEiS

- Base Ganymede

- Perdition's Gate

- JiffyBag

- Lunar Catastophe

- Baculus

- Sinergy

Good list, I'd add Reverie (the soundtrack alone makes it worth it; Doom Core and Eternally Yours, on the other hand, aren't suitable), Base Ganymede (all music is either from Doom or custom made by @Mr. Freeze), Revolution! with its MIDI pack...

Plutonia 2 and Plutonia Revisited could fit easily enough, they both have just one MIDI track to replace ("Crypt" from Hexen in PRCP, "Gut Wrencher" from Duke 3D in PL2). TNT: Revilution should be fine.

19 hours ago, Revenant100 said:

Why are all of the gameplay clips in this news post very obviously recorded in ZDoom/GZDoom in software mode?

Edit: An examination of the Bethesda-ized WAD of Double Impact reveals that the intermission screen graphic was changed to replace unlicensed Hungarian Doomguy (which is still used in the above news post).

pysmi9J.png

ubjRRSQ.png

The names of the first and last levels have also been inexplicably changed here, introducing a canonical error as they disagree with the automap and WILV lump names.

They could have used an actual drawn artwork instead of a 3D model/render and have it being like some concept art of a UAC engineer, even if it was from 2016's art style.

Looks more out of place than the actual pre-official version of the wad.

You could have fooled someone unaware of which one is the addon and which one is the original version.

17 hours ago, Edward850 said:

Doom4Vanilla is extremely crash prone in vanilla

No, not at all.

The most stable way to play D4V is on vanilla. It never crashed on me after all these days of playtesting, except on situations that would also occur without the mod. Crashes happens almost as you might expect from vanilla. I also fixed the intercept overflow issues on v2.2.

Of course there will be nuances and differences and I'm prone to improve the compatibility of my mod. But with all due respect, saying it is "extremely crash prone in vanilla" is just ridiculous and false.

Edited by Noiser

2 hours ago, Gez said:

Good list, I'd add Reverie (the soundtrack alone makes it worth it; Doom Core and Eternally Yours, on the other hand, aren't suitable), Base Ganymede (all music is either from Doom or custom made by @Mr. Freeze), Revolution! with its MIDI pack...

Plutonia 2 and Plutonia Revisited could fit easily enough, they both have just one MIDI track to replace ("Crypt" from Hexen in PRCP, "Gut Wrencher" from Duke 3D in PL2). TNT: Revilution should be fine.

As much as I'd love to see Revilution made somewhat official I don't see it happening. I was never able to accurately credit all of the people who made textures for the project. Additionally I'm positive that a handful of the textures in the wad come from other games such as Shadowcaster & Hexen. The midi for map01 could also be of concern due to it being partly based on a song from a band, I forget which one you'd have to ask Bucket. It wouldn't take too much effort to sort the problems out, but I don't know how much effort ID is willing to put into these wads if any at all.

1 hour ago, gum_of_hate said:

don't have any copyrighted stuff

CChest uses tunes from Heretic, Hexen, and Descent. And there's also one track that hasn't been identified yet, who knows what it's from.

1 hour ago, Jaws In Space said:

As much as I'd love to see Revilution made somewhat official I don't see it happening. I was never able to accurately credit all of the people who made textures for the project. Additionally I'm positive that a handful of the textures in the wad come from other games such as Shadowcaster & Hexen.

Looking at all textures:

• Perhaps the two CAVERN textures? Don't really look like any texture I remember from Hexen, though.
  • The NEWANIM textures have a very distinctive style that may come from some other game, not sure which.
  • The SAW textures perhaps?
  • The SNOWY textures?
  • Perhaps BLUDSOUP?

Everything else looks like straightforward edits of Doom (including alpha) and TNT textures, plus a few Wolf 3D edits like the BRIKWLF. Nothing that really screamed Raven at me, though.

BROWNGRW might be an edit I made, by the way. I'm not making that claim strongly because it's a very basic idea and not that hard to recreate.

As for the song, there's the Bobby Prince precedent.

However, those turret sprites? Are they from Duke 3D?

12 hours ago, ReaperAA said:

- Lunar Catastophe

- Baculus

- Sinergy

These contain many instances of tutti-frutti. And who knows if they have Medusa effects.

The problem with many limit-removing maps is they were obviously tested only in PrBoom(-Plus) with -complevel 2|3|4 and higher source ports, and no one bothered to test them with a pure vanilla engine with limits increased, such as Doom+ / Doom2+, Strawberry Doom or Crispy Doom 1.0 (yes, that version), so expect certain visual glitches.

Edited by Diabolución