Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
doomsmokey

Best soundfont?

I've been using SGM-V2.01 through Coolsoft VirtualMIDISynth for years now. So good, you won't even believe it's still midi!

Arachno soundfont, it sounds incredible! I mean, just listen to this: 

Feeding Frenzy (Stomp) - Jeremy Doyle

Scc1t2.sf2 is closest to the original Roland sound modules used for most game soundtracks. For other uses Reality modded by falcosoft is the best.

+1 for Scc1t2.sf2.

But I also like the Arachno soundfont, that one's pretty underrated IMO, as well as GeneralUser GS, and the fixed SC-55 soundfont of Patch93. All played back through Timidity (indeed, its quality is noticeably higher than that of Fluidsynth).

arachno sounds pretty cool

i got this fork of bassmidi called omnimidi and its breaking all my source ports except for gzdoom and i can get it OFF

but fixed it 2 minutes later

Just another Scc1t2.sf2 user passing through (Roland SCC-1).

EDIT: I’ve switched to RlndGM.sf2 - it’s almost the exact same, BUT pianos no longer go out of tune in the lower range (plus electric guitars sound just a teeny bit better in the high note range)

It sounds damn near identical to what comes pre-packed with almost every version of Windoze, which in turn means it sounds excellent for Doom MIDIs.

There are a lot of great soundfonts out there. The Ultimate Sega Genesis soundfont is a lot of fun to play with. There's another great soundfont called Timbres of Heaven which is nice for ambient/orchestral music. I've downloaded a bunch and could keep listing them, but none ever sound better with Doom MIDI than the Roland SCC-1 or SC-55 variants.

Edited by Doomkid

2 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Just another Scc1t2.sf2 user passing through (Roland SCC-1). It sounds damn near identical to what comes pre-packed with almost every version of Windoze, which in turn means it sounds excellent for Doom MIDIs.

There are a lot of great soundfonts out there. The Ultimate Sega Genesis soundfont is a lot of fun to play with. There's another great soundfont called Timbres of Heaven which is nice for ambient/orchestral music. I've downloaded a bunch and could keep listing them, but none ever sound better with Doom MIDI than the Roland SCC-1 or SC-55 variants.

I was on the same boat but give this one a chance

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/post/2082514

Fatboy. It was designed for retro games, and so far I haven't heard any cases where it sounds "wrong".

Ladies and Gentlemen. I probably dug it out from Doomkid's megapack. I suggest you do too. The name is: 

Chorium - Professional Soundbank (v2.3).sf2

There's a more recent thread on this topic here.

42 minutes ago, game said:

Could someone upload Fatboy? I can't access their site.

The certificate for the FatBoy author's website seems to have expired; I'm not sure when that happened. You can find FatBoy v0.790 and some other SoundFonts here.

Regarding the topic, here are a few of the many SoundFonts I like:

The de-facto standard for SoundFonts is the Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth's gm.dls bank (and its conversions like scc1t2.sf2 and RLNDGM.sf2), which is derived from the Roland Sound Canvas sound sets. This sound bank provides good balance for most MIDIs, although I have a few criticisms of it:

Spoiler

Gm.dls's samples are noticeably lower quality than the real SC-55's, and some instruments sound completely different. For example, the "DOOM" voice heard in the intro to DOOM II MAP05's music does not play correctly with gm.dls. Additionally, I think gm.dls's synth and pad instruments sound extremely dull compared to most other SoundFonts (and especially the SC-55). The Synth Strings, Sweep, and Halo instruments for example sound nowhere near as good as they do on the hardware. I do like gm.dls's cheesy/ghostly choir sound though, and I think it fits some MIDIs better than the SC-55's more realistic choir.

My favorite commercial SoundFont is the official 4 MB Gravis UltraSound Plug & Play one (this is different from the 5.6 MB GUS Classic patch set). I bought the SoundFont in 2014; as far as I know it is still available to buy online. Its balance is similar to that of Roland Sound Canvas, although compared to more modern SoundFonts, its instruments are not the most realistic.

Although it is not a SoundFont, the Yamaha S-YXG50 is another good option for old games. The S-YXG50 is an XG- and Roland GS-compatible software synthesizer that sounds very close to the Yamaha MU80 sound module. Bobby Prince himself used the Yamaha MU80 to rough out the music for DOOM II, Rise of the Triad, Duke Nukem 3D, and other games he worked on from 1994 onward. A free portable VSTi version of the synth is available online, and it includes both the 2 MB and 4 MB versions of the sound bank.

Obviously you can't have a perfect match for everything. I often notice some sounds are too obtrusive, too quitet, misplaced or just absent. But I think it's worth making a chart for which MEGAWAD a soundfont is specifically worth trying out with, because it may actually work really well. Whether thoroughly inspected or not, here are my selections so far:

SCC1T2
MOONBLOOD
SUNDER
SUNLUST
JENESIS
ANCIENT ALIENS

GENERALUSER GS
HELL ON EARTH

CHORIUM
BACK TO SATURN X
BACK TO SATURN X 2
THE REBIRTH