Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SlayerOGames666

Build Engine Poll!

Build Engine Poll: What's your favourite Build Engine game?  

100 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favourite Build Engine game?

• Duke Nukem 3D
    • Shadow Warrior
    • Blood (my favourite)

I would say Blood, Shadow Warrior, DN3D and Redneck Rampage in that order. I don't like RR in any way though.

DN3D>SW>Blood>RR>Nam

Haven't played Ion Fury yet but it looks pretty awesome.

Edited by unerxai

9 minutes ago, Avoozl said:

I would say Blood, Shadow Warrior, DN3D and Redneck Rampage in that order. I don't like RR in any way though.

Probably this for the big four Build engine games.

Not gonna vote because I've only really played Duke 3D, and even then, only the shareware episode.

I always preferred the Doom engine games, though I will note one point in which Duke is undeniably superior: you can shoot rockets through small holes without them blowing in your face because their hitbox is about as large as a spider mastermind's.

It does not list all the Build engine games so this poll is not accurate.

Since there is no alternative, i say Paladins 3D. 

On a more serious note: Duke, RR and AMC TC, the little ive played of it that is.

My favourite build engine game is Ion Fury.

However among the choices given, I am torn between Duke 3D and Blood. I didn't like Blood at first, but now that game has started to grow on me. my vote ultimately goes to Duke 3D (but only by a small margin). Blood has much better weapons and combat, but Duke has better progression (and imho better asthetics).

Edited by ReaperAA

Can I have multiple selection? :P

I have only played DN3D and SW mostly, NAM and WW2GI a little and then Ion Ma...uh, Fury.

Cannot say Blood and RR as I almost rarely played them(did have play some Blood but that's very long time ago), so can't say any shit with them.

I preferred both engines, select only one engine just boring, why I can't play and love both? :P :P :P

Is there some good source port for build games? I've seen Raze... maybe there is something better.

In term of aesthetics: Shadow Warrior and Paladins 3D

In term of fun factor: Blood

13 minutes ago, Avoozl said:

I haven't played Ion Fury enough.

I recommend giving it another try. At first, I found it a bit annoying and/or difficult due to certain enemies like the grenade dudes and the rocket-torso things. But after getting better at the game, I really started liking it.

49 minutes ago, damned said:

Is there some good source port for build games? I've seen Raze... maybe there is something better.

For Blood: NBlood, BloodGDX

For Duke3D/NAM/WW2GI: EDuke32, DukeGDX, RedNukem(PS:I'm not sure about DukeGDX and RedNukem's NAM/WW2GI supports is like what as I only use EDuke32...and never used others)

For RR: RedNukem

For SW: VoidSW(not release yet)

For others : I have no idea, but the GDX engine from M210 may supports other Build engine games.

1 hour ago, damned said:

The first thing to understand is that Build, in itself, does a lot of things but not everything. It's mostly a renderer, though there's also things like archive management. But basically, all that concerns actor logic (AI, etc.) is not handled, you have to write an actual game engine that plugs in on Build.

The most influential game was Duke Nukem 3D, it was the flagship Build title, and for that reason some games were built using the Duke engine in addition to the Build engine: Redneck Rampage (and sequel), the war shooters WWII GI and NAM, and I believe Extreme Paintbrawl. But other than that, every other Build game does its own things in its own way.

The Capstone titles (Witchaven, Witchaven 2, TekWar) had their source code released by a former developer after the studio went tits up. The legal status is murky.

Duke 3D and Shadow Warrior had their source code released. In addition, EDuke, the version of the Duke engine used for WWII GI and NAM, was released too. EDuke32 is based on merging JonoF's JFDuke3D port with EDuke.

Raze is unique in that, under the hood, it incorporates several different game engines. It's not like ZDoom where the code for all Doom engine games were merged together into a single whole so you can easily use Strife conversations and Hexen scripts in Doom, it's closer to how Chocolate Doom or Doomsday do it, with the games strictly separated so you cannot use Blood-exclusive features and Shadow Warrior-exclusive features in Duke 3D. (In fact, sometimes, these games have identical features but added in mutually incompatible ways, so a full merge is nigh impossible.)

So currently Raze feature:

• EDuke32 (Duke Nukem 3D, WWII GI, NAM, Ion Fury)
  • NBlood (Blood)
  • RedNukem (Redneck Rampage, Redneck Rampage Rides Again, Duke Nukem 3D, WWII GI, NAM)
  • VoidSW (Shadow Warrior)
  • PCExhumed (Powerslave/Exhumed)

Because of compatibility issues, you can use either EDuke32 or RedNukem to play Duke 3D.

So if you have Raze, you have all these engines, though you can still try them on their own with their own backend instead of them being grafted on the GZDoom backend. (After all, there are still many bugs in Raze caused by the operation. Ion Fury, notably, is not really playable on Raze right now, but it is on EDuke32.) The main alternative is BuildGDX. If you wanna try some of the weird little games most people don't like (TekWar, Legend of the Seven Paladins, etc.), BuildGDX is your only hope.

Edited by Gez

Gez beats me, his post has better reference about Build engine ports.

4 minutes ago, Gez said:

The Capcom titles (Witchaven, Witchaven 2, TekWar) had their source code released by a former developer after the studio went tits up. The legal status is murky.

......it's not that Capcom......it's Capstone...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capstone_Software

19 minutes ago, Player Lin said:

For others : I have no idea, but the GDX engine from M210 may supports other Build engine games.

M210 is planning on releasing SevenPaladinsGDX once all the remaining bugs are gotten rid of.

1 minute ago, taufan99 said:

M210 is planning on releasing SevenPaladinsGDX once all the remaining bugs are gotten rid of.

Yeah I already know about this, well, it's good to know that poor game still received such treatments... Too bad MARS 3D seems cannot get such treatments as it's using custom DooM-spec-inspired engine but who knows...

I voted Shadow Warrior - but only because Redneck Rampage is absent from that list. RR will always be something special for me, despite its flaws.

12 minutes ago, Player Lin said:

Capstone

I know which is which, I just confuse their names often, they're too similar for me. Fixed.

Duke Nukem is still my favorite although Shadow Warrior and Blood are definitely growing on me the more i play them (although i haven't in a while sadly).

3 hours ago, Avoozl said:

Precisely this for me.

Ion Fury in terms on Gameplay and Feeels from that cyberpunk game. It's a good compromise in length on games, how all feels it's happening in 1 day, and the weapons mechanics that have that kind of cyber police. Also Minigun best BFG on that game, that sprites it's bonkers.

But Duke Nukem kick ass, have crazy weapons, better powerups and that type of humor it's my kind, shame that the IP it's on a bad state. Blood for the third place because that gameplay it's not that good because some type of enemies and how you ned almost always dinamite to be efective, but have one of the better levels desings of the other 2. SW it's my four because i had it for years but only played for complete some months ago, never played other game so not vote.

Blood, no contest. Not only my favorite Build game, but probably one of my favorite FPSs of all time, tied at the top with the Classic Dooms and Quake 1. Caleb is the baddest motherfucker around.

Duke is also good though. I've taken him for granted for some time, but I think the king is still worthy of his title.

Shadow Warrior is fun but I've yet to finish it. I think they took the parody aspect of Lo Wang a bit far though. Not even talking about how offensive he is, I just think he's kinda annoying.

59 minutes ago, HorrorMovieGuy said:

I think they took the parody aspect of Lo Wang a bit far though. Not even talking about how offensive he is, I just think he's kinda annoying.

I've always felt the same way, like there's just one too many jokes. Some of them might give a light chuckle the first time through but after a few dozen times, not so much.

For me: 

Blood - To just play

Shadow Warrior - has some of the coolest level design imo, everything else about the game is kind of underwhelming

Duke3d - To make maps for

31 minutes ago, reflex17 said:

I've always felt the same way, like there's just one too many jokes. Some of them might give a light chuckle the first time through but after a few dozen times, not so much.

Yeah, 3DR just overdid that part, too bad... also the silly mixture of Asian cultures make Lo Wang even worse than it should...

I always saw Shadow Warrior more as lampooning bad Kung Fu movies and their stereotypes.

Just as Redneck Rampage pokes fun at Hillbillies.

Sure, both games occasionally overdo it - but their creative level design is miles ahead of Duke and their entire artwork style appeals a lot more to me than Blood's strange mixture of modern and antiquated.

14 minutes ago, Graf Zahl said:

I always saw Shadow Warrior more as lampooning bad Kung Fu movies and their stereotypes.

Just as Redneck Rampage pokes fun at Hillbillies.

Not bad movies, just the extremely over-the-top kind imo.

Also I've never seen SW as "extreme" or offensive as some people have described it. Sure, some things in the game did turn out to have some offensive connotations unfortunately, but I doubt these references were done on purpose.

It's just a ridiculously over-the-top game inspired by Asian stuff. I'm curious how it would've turned out if the '95/96 iteration was completed, before the direction was changed to Asian Duke. Apart from being more serious, and probably having more magic items, I somehow doubt it would've been much different.

I would've also liked to see more maps set during the night, the alphas had some incredibly atmospheric levels set during that time, and an amazing starry blue sky.

"Lo Wang dropped soap, you pick it up!"