Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eligos

New details on the Duke Nukem Forever 2001 build

10 hours ago, CyberDreams said:

Eh. I gave up hope a long time ago. I mean, 3DR are the ones who initially fucked up anyways. They couldn't even make a competent sequel to Duke 3D. They had to keep changing the gameplay/engine to "keep up with the times". So i blame them, mainly George Broussard. The 2001 version should of been the game that was released but since it wasn't it is what it is i guess.

DNF2011 is a fine example of what's called in game development as "feature creep".

3DR could've made a good sequel with no doubts, but Broussard got stuck in chasing the new tech, and never had a solid vision for how the final game was meant to look and play like. If you lack vision, nothing good can come out of your work.

You can't, by definition, license your engine and get a technological edge over your competitors. The ones who have a technological edge are the ones who sell licenses to their own engines. DN4E was therefore doomed from the start, because it couldn't possibly do what Broussard wanted it to do.

1 hour ago, Gez said:

You can't, by definition, license your engine and get a technological edge over your competitors. The ones who have a technological edge are the ones who sell licenses to their own engines. DN4E was therefore doomed from the start, because it couldn't possibly do what Broussard wanted it to do.

Assuming he even knew what he wanted to do...

The info I've managed to find on this topic tells me that even by mid-2000s he still didn't know too well how the final product was supposed to look and play like... what a profound lack of vision and way to mismanage a project...

1 minute ago, seed said:

Assuming he even knew what he wanted to do...

He wanted to do a tech demo.

He didn't have any vision about gameplay, story, theme(s), atmosphere, etc. He just didn't want any other game to have features that DN4E didn't have.

5 minutes ago, Gez said:

He wanted to do a tech demo.

He didn't have any vision about gameplay, story, theme(s), atmosphere, etc. He just didn't want any other game to have features that DN4E didn't have.

The way it was filmed was pretty awful, but that level looks just perfect for a tech demo. Pretty cool, if perhaps a bit too slow, and only if there was sound though...

I wonder if anybody can contact Frederick Schreiber to release the 2001 build of DNF via Lost Media Wiki's Discord server, rather than asking Randy Pitchford and Gearbox to release it.

Or better yet for him (Frederick Schreiber), release all of 3D Realms's beta content from their archives to LMW's Discord server.

Even with that, it's very unlikely DNF 2001 will resurface.

If you want to GBX to pursue legal action against 3DR, then sure, go ahead with the plan.

But since they no longer own the rights to the IP, unless GBX also agrees, that's a definitive "NO!" for the DNF 2001 build.

Don't play with my heart man, i geniunely thought from the footer there was something new about this.

This thing will only see the light of day if:

• GBX kicks Pitchford
  • Pitchford lets go of the license (lol in yer dreams)
  • Frederik just does a *fuck it* moment and releases the works
  • Frederik comes with a re-release patch of DNF or D3D and sneaks the 2001 build in a secret folder
  • Frederik and GBX come to an agreement

None of these scenarios are any plausible because the buck stops with Randy Pitchford, who actually wants bucks for this.

There is no point dude, give up. I'd love to have it too but since other attempts failed as well, DNF 2001 is just doomed...

It will never see the light of day, only the coldness of a grave, so, treasure those leaks we're seeing periodically, because it's all we'll ever get to see.

1 hour ago, Wadmodder RiderPùdu said:

I even wrote a forum thread on Lost Media Wiki's forums but nobody has responded yet, for now.

Have a guess as to why that is.

Don't torment your soul with impending hopes of a release.

Well if that's not going to work, the closest thing we have is the eDuke32 DNF 2013 mod for Duke Nukem 3D Atomic Edition (which the mod recreated scenes & screenshots of DNF from 1997 up until 2006).

You can easily find that mod (and play it) than petitioning Gearbox to release DNF 2001.

Asking GBX for anything is a fruitless endeavor anyway, GBX only takes, not give.

I've played that mod and it's pretty awesome, although the motorcycle is a little glitchy, I got stuck on it a few times in my let's play. Build is also not really made for high speeds either as the world and view blurs when driving too fast. But definitely better than the jank DNF2011 was fo' sure.

It will have to do anyway, the closest we're ever getting.

The close that 3DRealms can do it's bring their gameplay of Duke Forever 2001 and make it another game.

Like it's motherflakker (OLD Ion Fury game that never released), that would be legal to do and can bring closure to the people that want that game, in gameplay form at least.

Pictures of the game

''Retweet if you want to see this game become a reality.
If there's a lot of interest, it might get made!''

Relies far too much on might and a need for retweets.

It looked insane though. I still need to watch the video but all these FPS prototypes need to get made. Really.

Sweet motherflakker, I would love to see this, especially since Ion Fury is among top 5 favorite fps games. 

I've read on the RTCM download page of Duke 3D Shareware about the 0.99 beta that a magazine previewer leaked that Duke 3d build.

Probably because of that, that's pretty much why 3D Realms never released further beta builds of their games (including DNF) to magazine previewers after 1996.

http://www.r-t-c-m.com/knowledge-base/downloads-rtcm/duke3d-shareware/

Any chances of 3D Realms's beta builds (excluding any Duke Nukem stuff) is rather slim (if those beta builds exist in their archives).

Factually incorrect, as 3DR has released other non-Duke builds over the years, just look at Shadow Warrior, they've even re-released the leaked builds!

Ok, folks, some ATOMIC NEWS!

Duke Nukem Forever WILL BE leaked pretty much soon, in JUNE 2022. According to different websites, including reddit and 4chan here is the situation:

• Almost every chapter is present in some form. A huge chunk is playable, a huge chunk is block-outs with no enemies. All of the E3 content is there.
  • Not just the editor, we will be releasing the full source code too.
  • All weapons are functional with the exception of the chainsaw and the freezer.
  • The editor works. We also have the engine and UnrealScript source code and have written instructions for compiling it.
  • Two builds, but only the content for one.
  • It is Unreal Engine 1, like the final game.
  • There is no complete game. It was never finished.
  • The E3 2001 iteration but not the E3 2001 build.
  • The shrink ray is in the game, it’s the first weapon in slot 4.
  • The theme is just the Megadeth version. It starts playing as soon as you boot the game.
  • Bombshell is not visually present in the game at this point, there is a log file showing that her model was deleted.
  • The strippers can be seen and interacted with when you first enter the club. By the point in the game that was recorded, most of them are dead.

Screenshots:

dnf200leak_1.jpg?ssl=1

dnf200leak_2.jpg?ssl=1

dnf200leak_3a.jpg?ssl=1

dnf200leak_4.jpg?ssl=1

dnf200leak_5.jpg?ssl=1

dnf200leak_6.jpg?ssl=1

dnf200leak_7.jpg?ssl=1

dnf200leak_8.jpg?ssl=1

dnf200leak_9.jpg?ssl=1

dnf200leak_10.jpg?ssl=1

Edited by Dexiaz

This will be... interesting. Hopefully the leaker has covered their tracks or they will be in a spot of bother.

Fucking hell, 20 years... better late than never, I guess? I'm not really sure what to make of what I'm seeing. I imagine this build will be unfinished and buggier than a big bug bugging out on a dune-buggy, but I suppose a plucky team of people could put together some kind of workable release should the leak actually happen and they get their hands on it. That aside, if this is legit and not some kind of elaborate hoax, then it'd be a cool thing for the sake of game archiving/preservation, which as we all know the industry itself doesn't seem to care about at all.

Colour me curious regardless!

Edited by Biodegradable

I actively collect and explore alphas, betas and cancelled games and let me tell you that this is one hell of a holy grail, I absolutely cannot wait to secure a copy of this the moment it drops.

It's rare for me to document it but I am definitely recording this one if it actually drops.

Edited by mrthejoshmon