Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

Post Your Opinions About Doom (Whether Controversial or Not)

19 minutes ago, Alper002 said:

I think I have the most contraversial opinion, I love D_RUNNIN!

Yeah I'm gonna be honest, it's still my favorite doom song, no matter how many "my first wads" I play. The solo is incredible.

57 minutes ago, Solmyr said:

D_RUNNIN is even worse.

Ahem. Big Running from Evil fan here.

Although I can understand why nobody really misses it. Still wish DOOM Eternal had a Running from Evil remix tho.

20 hours ago, DiamondDude11 said:

Because I think Mouse look is okay to use.

ZDoom maps are often built requiring mouse look, at least for secrets.

Like here. Can you find the pixels you have to shoot on this screenshot? :p

Q1eqiwa.png

On February 7, 2020 at 8:50 AM, DRMman said:

Partial invisibility isn't as bad as everyone says.

Well the Partial invisibility was useful against Hitscanners, I always use them on TNT Map27 Mount Pain to make every Chaingunner look useless, and it always works, all that was left is to take these ass souls and tear them to pieces..

18 hours ago, Spectre01 said:

So most vanilla/boom maps are made with classic Doom mechanics in mind, which didn't have the ability to look up and down or shoot beyond what's possible with autoaim. By using freelook, you have the option of eliminating targets at a much longer range than intended. Of course, there are some exceptions for wads like Hellbound or Lost Civilization where freelook is recommended.

In my honest experience, I can count the number of times I've experienced freelook breaking a vanilla/boom compatible map on one hand.  The only time it ever seems to have a genuine impact is on shootable switches that in vanilla Doom you'd have to navigate up to.  That or some IoS fights. 

True, it means you can snipe monsters further than 1024 units away that aren't on your level (although even without autoaim, a rocket's infinite height blast means you can likely still kill them), but I have personally never come across a situation where that broke a map.

Across the entire spectrum of additional abilities that advanced source ports bestow on the player, in my experience freelook is one of the very least disruptive.

5 hours ago, Solmyr said:

you're either a contrarian or insane, or both.

now that could be legit used as a torture method.

D_RUNNIN is not actually bad. It gets a bad rap because it's always the track in babby's first map so everyone got sick of it. 

Doom 2 introduced cool new enemies and a very satisfying weapon but some maps are pretty bad compared to the overall level design from doom 1.

Brutal Doom is fun and well done.

I don't know how controversial this would be here (I know places like Reddit would burn me alive for saying this), but I don't like most of Mick Gordon's modern Doom music, and would go as far as to say I actively dislike some of it. Most of the music people reference as the best I just don't enjoy listening to that much outside of the game and often tone out when playing it. The At Doom's Gate remake just sounds bad to me and I would have preferred something closer to those metal remake albums. It might just be the whole style doesn't work for me.

There are some exceptions though, for example I think "The Only Thing They Fear is You" from Eternal is incredibly good. I don't know what that makes that track different but if the rest of the music had whatever that one has for me I think I'd like it a lot more. 

I've already talked about my love for Pain Elementals and how they're my favorite Doom monster, but I wanna address my opinion about Arch-Viles.  I don't feel this is really controversial, but it definitely puts me in the minority.  I honestly don't feel they're annoying enemies and their attack while it may hit really fucking hard, it's probably the easiest attack to dodge.  It's also not that hard of an enemy to kill.  To me it only seems very slightly stronger than a Revenant.  So yeah, I like Arch-Viles and don't understand all the hate for them. 

D_RUNNIN actually fit quite well with my first map I think, but I still changed it because I knew people would complain otherwise

The problem with D_RUNNIN is not that it sucks, but it's horribly overused in maps without new music, you can bet they will start with it playing on MAP01...

I can't fucking stand it anymore because of this either. If I start hearing it on MAP01 I mute the music instantly.

Also here's a hot take: Linear maps > nonlinear maps. Nonlinear progression seems hard to get right and most of the time when too much emphasis is placed on it, or rather, the exploratory aspect, the levels become too confusing to navigate and easy to get lost in.

Edited by seed : Can't type these days...

I love New-Doom but I wish they would have still incorporated more Horror Elements into it. Maybe it´s because my first contact with Doom was through Doom 3. But to me Horror is a part of Doom. Even if the Action is more important. Not asking for them to make it an action game but more Horror-Elements would be nice. After all, it´s a game about Demons and occult stuff.

I know I've said it for years, but the Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth will always be my favorite MIDI soundfont, even in DOOM.

1 hour ago, RiZen said:

I love New-Doom but I wish they would have still incorporated more Horror Elements into it. Maybe it´s because my first contact with Doom was through Doom 3. But to me Horror is a part of Doom. Even if the Action is more important. Not asking for them to make it an action game but more Horror-Elements would be nice. After all, it´s a game about Demons and occult stuff.

Doom 1 was originally intended to be a survival horror game.

17 minutes ago, taufan99 said:

I know I've said it for years, but the Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth will always be my favorite MIDI soundfont, even in DOOM.

Player*, the GS Wavetable Synth is not a soundfont and it doesn't even use one for playing MIDI music.

1 hour ago, RiZen said:

Tbh I wish they'd make the games darker than they are too, and seeing Doom 3 and what various devs at the id of the time said, the horror aspect was an integral part of the experience. The new id still loves that aspect of Doom, but they don't seem confident enough to try their hand on it again. Besides, people clearly love the direction the new Doom games have taken, changing that now will not be received too warmly.

14 minutes ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

Doom 1 was originally intended to be a survival horror game.

id also wanted to make an Aliens shooter.

1 minute ago, seed said:

id also wanted to make an Aliens shooter.

At least the final product still retains some space and horror elements :P

On jeudi 13 février 2020 at 4:37 AM, Horus said:

D_RUNNIN actually fit quite well with my first map I think, but I still changed it because I knew people would complain otherwise

D_RUNNIN on MAP01 means that I pull down the console, type "map jukebox" and set up a random playlist because obviously the mod doesn't feature its own soundtrack.

Shotgun sucks.

No, it's useful for sure but I just feel there are too much shells in DooM/UD IWAD and some PWADs...like I have to use shotgun to blast the whole game...well maybe that's my own problem I guess.  :\

6 minutes ago, Player Lin said:

Shotgun sucks.

No, it's useful for sure but I just feel there are too much shells in DooM/UD IWAD and some PWADs...like I have to use shotgun to blast the whole game...well maybe that's my own problem I guess.  :\

You must've loved the first five or six maps of BTSX 1 then. xD

Can you say "rocket launcher"?

2 hours ago, seed said:

Player*, the GS Wavetable Synth is not a soundfont and it doesn't even use one for playing MIDI music.

It uses a hard-fixed DLS soundfont.

Got another Controversial Opinion.
I do not see any benefit that PrBoom+ Might have in comparison to GZDoom for the casual player.
I mean, sure, I can turn off mouselook, and everything would be handy-dandy, a vanilla experience, right?

28 minutes ago, DiamondDude11 said:

Got another Controversial Opinion.
I do not see any benefit that PrBoom+ Might have in comparison to GZDoom for the casual player.
I mean, sure, I can turn off mouselook, and everything would be handy-dandy, a vanilla experience, right?

Define "benefit" first.

A "benefit" would be higher vanilla accuracy and demo recording capabilities, but of course, if you don't care about either of these then yeah, GZDoom will probably be the better option.

PRBoom+ is easier to use.  -complevel 2/3/4/9/11 is easier than -compflags asdfjkl -dmflags omgwtfbbqlol.

1 hour ago, Cynical said:

PRBoom+ is easier to use.  -complevel 2/3/4/9/11 is easier than -compflags asdfjkl -dmflags omgwtfbbqlol.

Except all you need is the Doom (Strict) preset for 2/3/4 and Boom (Strict) for 9/11.

Still have to get the dmflags right, or you get mouselook, crouching, and jumping in "classic" wads.

2 hours ago, Cynical said:

easier to use for purist gameplay. For casual play GZDoom is a lot easier.