Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ReeseJamPiece

Lookin' for some Metal/Rock music

23 minutes ago, DoOmEr4LiFe said:

I am somewhat disappointed by the lack of mention of Fates Warning in this thread. I have never heard a more consistent band in terms of quality of music even following a (sub)genre shift. Some fans will say they like their earlier, Power Metal stuff and others argue their later Progressive Metal stuff is better. For me, I say, "why not both?".

I have actually heard them, I think they're... eh? It probably didn't help that they were hyped to me by someone I absolutely hated and thought was the most pretentious asshole on the subject of music that I've ever interacted with. That's not a fair set up, but even distanced from that, I didn't find them to be anything that special, though by no means bad, and like their later stuff more than early. For that style of music I find Anubis Gate really works for me and I was also into Royal Hunt for a while who also I think had similarities. 

I will say for Royal Hunt now that I remember them, this song is pretty badass:

3 hours ago, hybridial said:

It probably didn't help that they were hyped to me by someone I absolutely hated and thought was the most pretentious asshole on the subject of music that I've ever interacted with.

Unfortunate. There's always some dillhole that ruins stuff for others. Sorry that you do not get the same enjoyment out of Fates that I do. They are grossly underrated and it's a miracle that they get as much attention as they do in the shadows of their larger prog metal brethren Dream Theater and Queensryche, whom I believe both to be inferior to Fates in every conceivable metric.

Royal Hunt is awesome, though.

11 minutes ago, DoOmEr4LiFe said:

Unfortunate. There's always some dillhole that ruins stuff for others. Sorry that you do not get the same enjoyment out of Fates that I do. They are grossly underrated and it's a miracle that they get as much attention as they do in the shadows of their larger prog metal brethren Dream Theater and Queensryche, whom I believe both to be inferior to Fates in every conceivable metric.

Royal Hunt is awesome, though.

While I like early Queensrÿche stuff up to Operation Mindcrime,  I prefer by far The Spectre Within and Awakening the Guardian than anything Dream Theater has ever put out. Could also check out Crimson Glory for some pretty good shit.

1 hour ago, DoOmEr4LiFe said:

I have a funny relationship with Dream Theatre in a way, because I actually love the albums Train of Thought, Octavarium and Systematic Chaos, and parts of Black Clouds and Six Degrees, and also, yeah I quite like A Dramatic Turn of Events. And I imagine if you pay attention to what that band's fanbase is generally like, if you take out the Astonishing because almost no one liked that, I'm most into their critically less lauded albums. Really into them. I prefer when they embrace being a metal band more and actually get to some quality thrashing. The Twelve Step Suite as a whole is an incredible achievement as well. 

And I think I like Anubis Gate as much because they sound like a merging of the better elements of Queensryche and Iron Maiden without any of the downsides. 

Also and this is definitely just a me thing but the production on Fates Warning's early stuff is why I don't really enjoy it. That's a relatively common thing because I don't like a lot of Blind Guardian's early work because of their less than stellar production, or say Evergrey's first album. It's not fair but it is what it is. 

I'm surprised at myself not mentioning Evergrey as well when it comes to prog metal, they can be inconsistent but they did this. 

Surprisingly, their magnum opus is their longest song, and it has much less use of vocals than is typical for them. 

Edited by hybridial

Classic metal:

Starting with inspirations for Doom music.

Slayer - South of Heaven seems to be the best album.

Pantera - Cowboys From Hell and Vulgar Display of Power being the best two albums.   I think CFH is a bit better and more varied but VDP has some of the most legendary tracks.   Both great.

I gotta look into some SOD since E3M8 Facing the Spider is based on a song.

Alice in Chains ranges between grunge (which I don't think bands called themselves. Nirvana didn't.) and metal.   Dirt album most recommended.

Non-Doom related:

Black Sabbath  (earlier albums and stuff with Dio)

Blood Ceremony - they're like old Black Sabbath mixed with Jethro Tull

White Zombie - Astrocreep 2000 and La Sexorcisto: Devil Music Vol. 1 albums.   I like this stuff a lot better than newer Rob Zombie.

Danzig 1 through Danzig 3 (I stopped at 3)

The band Samhain between that and old Misfits is also good.

Megadeth - Rust In Peace is a great album.   Youthanasia is supposed to be great but sounds too dated to me.   Maybe someone can recommend another.

Iron Maiden - lots of great stuff.

Motorhead - I just have this great 25 & Alive CD + DVD.   Maybe someone can recommend specific albums.

Queensryche - Operation: Mindcrime.   I do NOT recommend their Sign of the Times double album.

Manowar - I most recommend the album Triumph of Steel except for its last track.   Their Fighting the World album sounds most dated but still has a couple great songs including Defender (one of the two they did with Orson Welles!) and the last, track 9.   (I'm aware some newer guitarist was just busted as a supposed pedo.   If that's true, the rest of the band better disown him.   They made plenty of good stuff before he was in the band.)

Christopher Lee - Charlemagne The Omens of Death (Yes, the late, great actor was doing metal close to age 90!)

Maybe someone can recommend the best Tool or A Perfect Circle to get.

Maybe lesser known good bands I saw:

Terreign

Slumlord Philadelphia

Demon Boy

I really like Nordic and Celtic Folk Metal and of course they veer in and out of Black Metal.

Celtic:

Cruachan - started Black Metal ranging to Rock and more classic style Metal and back to BM again but all either Celtic folk or Lord of the Rings themed, all with additional Celtic instrumentation beyond the standard vocals, guitar, bass, and drums.

I think one of them is involved with Metalocalypse having seen his name in the show credits.

Ogmios

Minhyriath

Eluveitie - Slania album is great but NOT Helveltios. And newer stuff might be more tailored for the mainstream.

Other folk metal and black metal:

Korpiklaani

Animist

Finntroll

Falkenbach

Therion - Sirius B + Lemuria double album is great.   Epic yet very relaxing for a long car drives.

Great black metal albums ranging into folk:

Jugdheim by Bergthron, Eagna an Marbh by Akashah, Nordstjarnans Tidsalder by Månegarm, Fatal Portrait by King Diamond, Black Metal and Welcome to Hell by Venom, Melissa by Mercyful Fate, Jomsviking by Amon Amarth, Wolfheart by Moonspool, Hail to Lyderhorn by Witchblood, Vermin by Old Man's Child, Lunar Poetry and To Gates of Blasphemous Fire by Nokturnal Mortum, The Olden Domain by Borknagar and their self titled album.

Getting more technoish there's

KMFDM or MDFMK

Rammstein

Nine Inch Nails (Most recommend Downward Spiral, followed by either Pretty Hate Machine, The Fragile, or The Slip)

Marilyn Manson - Antichrist Superstar, Mechanical Animals, Portrait of an American Family most recommended

Straying a little further, I gotta recommend some REAL punk (NOT Blink 182, Good Charlotte, or similar poseur pop dribble garbage)

old Dead Kennedys with Jello Biafra - Plastic Surgery Disasters + In God We Trust, Inc is great double rerelease of two albums.

old Dropkick Murphys - singles collection is great.   Note that a couple songs about skinheads are not racist BS.   Skinhead does NOT equal racist.   There's even such thing as SHARP, skinheads against racial prejudice.   And I saw black skinheads at a Maddog Surrender and Slamhounds show.   Black guys dressed in white shirts, jeans, suspenders, and boots (which is pretty standard among them), moshing in the pit with everyone else and I didn't see any Nazi shit.  Yes, there are some, but skins are best described as punks with a work ethic.   There's a joke...  There's a building with hippies on the first floor, punks on the second floor, and skins on the third floor.   There's a fire.   Who survives?...   The skins, cause they were out working.

Black Flag

The Noid

The Piss Shivers

Dicky and the Jerkoffs

Hate to Say It

The Adicts

Double Dagger

Agnostic Front

Leftover Crack (they might suck live though unless that's changed)

Could veer further out into Psychabilly bands such as the Nekromantix, which are like horror punk rockabilly (termed was coined from a Johnny Cash song that someone else wrote for him to perform)

Edited by Gokuma

7 minutes ago, Gokuma said:

Eluveitie - Slania album is great but NOT Helveltios. And newer stuff might be more tailored for the mainstream.

I'm trying to figure out what about "Celtic folk death metal" is in anyway tailored for the mainstream. Not speaking for you here but I tend to see people bitch about songs like A Rose for Epona and Call of the Mountains and, I just have two words to say to that, Inis Mona.

They're all great songs to me. 

I've only heard those two albums and the song Call of the Mountains.   There just seemed to be a major difference between Slania and them.   Call of the Mountains is still good, but that's the impression it gave me.   There's a song on Helvetios which they actually managed to make celtic folk metal with female vocals sound like annoying, irritating pop metal.   I actually had no influence or saw anyone else's opinion other than from someone who put down Cruachan but recommended Eluveitie to me.   They're still better than loads of bands.

1 minute ago, Gokuma said:

There's a song on Helvetios which they actually managed to make celtic folk metal with female vocals sound like annoying, irritating pop metal.

Is it this song? It probably is, thing is, its based on a Celtic folk melody, one of the most famous ones, far from the only time I've heard it used as the basis for a song. 

That might be it.   Nothing against the melody, just most of the production of that song made me go WTF listening to it in my car.

Just now, Gokuma said:

That might be it.   Nothing against the melody, just most of the production of that song made me go WTF listening to it in my car.

Oh well. I would suggest giving their newest album Ategnatos a look though, its actually very good, I liked Helvetios and Origin enough but I think Ategnatos surpasses them. I'm actually the oddball that likes Everything Remains as it Never Was the most of their stuff and that tends to be the one sitting in the corner in the Spirit & Slania vs Helvetios & Origin debates. Music is weird, almost like people have complex preferences, heh. 

Just got Lacuna Coil's new album Black Anima and it's pretty great.  Wasn't impressed with track #2, but then it got much more interesting and better.

Came across this band, Semblant, on youtube.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIedr_9_9hA   The one singer looks like if Kitana from Mortal Kombat went metal!   Half expected her to whip out a metal fan at some point.

I think I can now safely say I have enough Metal/Rock music to last me until the year 2500. It's still a bit confusing to me but I'm sure I'll get the hang of it, thanks to all that recommended the music.

1 minute ago, ReeseJamPiece said:

I think I can now safely say I have enough Metal/Rock music to last me until the year 2500. It's still a bit confusing to me but I'm sure I'll get the hang of it, thanks to all that recommended the music.

Sure thing!

Greetings from Indonesia as well.

On 2/14/2020 at 2:16 PM, ReeseJamPiece said:

I love Rock music (Mike Krol anyone?) but I've been needing to get into Metal, I'm a complete Newbie to Metal (Ironic considering I'm a Doom fan) and I'm looking for some good Metal of any kind. (whether it be Indie Metal, Death Metal, Norwegian Metal or just plain and simple Metal) 

However I'm also looking for some Rock bands to listen to, they can be of any kind and of any popularity status.

I love music but damn is it hard finding anything worth while in a sea full of modern Pop and modern Rap garbage.

Edited by Master O

Wish I could listen to all this but it's getting late and I have a sore head, hopefully in the morning I'll wake up refreshed and can listen to some of these tunes.

On 2/15/2020 at 2:10 AM, taufan99 said:

Some Indonesian death metal stuff that might interest you. There's a lot of good bands in the scene to check out, but here are some songs to start with.

Very nice tracks!

I'm on the other side of the world from Indonesia (Scotland), so I don't really know much about the country aside from it's mostly Muslim and it's South East Asian. But the metal music is bloody well brilliant to say the least.

On 2/19/2020 at 6:47 AM, ReeseJamPiece said:

Very nice tracks!

I'm on the other side of the world from Indonesia (Scotland), so I don't really know much about the country aside from it's mostly Muslim and it's South East Asian. But the metal music is bloody well brilliant to say the least.

Indonesia has a brilliant death metal scene. We play it like it's our daily lullabies 😉

Also, have some another Indonesian death metal songs.

On 2/14/2020 at 8:37 PM, david_a said:

Well, the classics are classics for a reason, so that's always a good place to start.

nonono! If you've never heard metal before, start of with something like this

Spoiler

1 hour ago, zen4040 said:

nonono! If you've never heard metal before, start of with something like this

Bad idea, unless you want to fill their heads with stereotypes and misconceptions from the very beginning.

3 hours ago, seed said:

Bad idea, unless you want to fill their heads with stereotypes and misconceptions from the very beginning.

Starting with Metallica in 2020? I dunno at this point.

13 minutes ago, DesecratorJ said:

Starting with Metallica in 2020? I dunno at this point.

No, we're really past that point. Maybe Havok or Suicidal Angels, idk.