Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Scuba Steve

Contests

I remember the 10 sectors Contest, and how great that was... and all the other contests like "I can name that level in 3 pixels". On the thread asking about the changes going on around Doomworld and the communities opinions, I know alot of people want more contests. I'm all for this, but a question that's lingered in my mind from ..lord.. whenever I started coming here.. 98? Is that DooMworld has never really held any contests for art or graphics. Yes I'm aware that Doomworld is probably 75% mappers, 20% Coders, 5% Trolls and like 2% Latte Drinkers with a Masters in Art History. I'm also aware that's 102%, but I'm sure that at least a few people would agree that an Art contest could be an interesting change for people to try on DooMWorld. Something like a contest for New Monster, Weapon, Texture Set or even something like replacing all font/title/intermission/menu graphics see who can create the most professional new feel to the menus.

Yes this could just be Boo Hoo me I'm no good at levels, but I was curious to see if anyone else thinks this would be an even romotely good idea. If not, Maybe some suggestions on other contests that could be done. I'm sure somebody has a signed doom2 box just sitting in their garage waiting to be given away right? And Hey if it's an art contest, a prize of like a $25 Cub foods gift certificate would sure help some starving liberal artists.

Yeah That would be pretty cool. I am just getting into making maps so i dont think i would enter but if there were any contests in the future i might (=

Scuba Steve said:

Yes this could just be Boo Hoo me I'm no good at levels, but I was curious to see if anyone else thinks this would be an even romotely good idea.

The only problem is, I don't know that there are enough artists here to really make a large enough contest. There are more mappers than artists I think, mainly because mapping is someone ANYONE can do. I picked it up in about two months with a little help from some of the people around here, but then figured just about everything else out on my own.

And Hey if it's an art contest, a prize of like a $25 Cub foods gift certificate would sure help some starving liberal artists.

Except if those starving liberal artists lived in a region where Cub Foods didn't exist :P (We've got Giant Eagle taking over southwestern PA, and I know it's WaWa over in the eastern part of the state/Jersey).

I'm aware that Doomworld is probably 75% mappers, 20% Coders, 5% Trolls and like 2% Latte Drinkers with a Masters in Art History

Make that 30% mappers, 5% coders and 65% of the rest :P

On topic; mapping contests are the bestest.

Archvile46 said:

Except if those starving liberal artists lived in a region where Cub Foods didn't exist :P (We've got Giant Eagle taking over southwestern PA, and I know it's WaWa over in the eastern part of the state/Jersey).

Where do you live?

O_- <--<< = m3, :P

Drawing is very similar to mapping (well... hear me out). I mean honestly, like mapping, anyone can pick it up easily... I'm sure everyone has MSPaint right? Like levels, there are going to be those people that are going to be good at it, and those that are, well, just going to suck no matter what. More practice, the better. I have a feeling people are more judegmental of their artwork than their level work, and are quick to say "oop I suck, no more of that"

I want a "who can map the most like Nanami contest."

Of course, I'd probably still lose. =P

Someone needs to make a list of all teh different kinds of contests we could have. Like I said last time this came up: "How about a contest to see who can come up with the best contest?"

ANYways...

- Deathmatch level
- SP level (then of course theres a 1000 variations on this one.)
- Best level with all new GFX
- FreeDOOM level
- Most non-typical use of the DOOM engine (using it to make something other than a first person shooter game)
- Best DOOM Machinima

???

What about a contest for levels that best recapture the flavor of Doom I and Doom II. If you can't notice an interruption of style when someone sandwiches a map of good Doom I or Doom II style between a few Id released maps, you know you've got a winner.

Vulg@r said:

What about a contest for levels that best recapture the flavor of Doom I and Doom II. If you can't notice an interruption of style when someone sandwiches a map of good Doom I or Doom II style between a few Id released maps, you know you've got a winner.

I'm actually partially working on thet one. Inferno -The Second Dawning is going to be e3/4 styled. :)

I'm not sure which I liked better...the E1 or E3 style of Doom I.

If they did do this contest, it'd have to have the rule 'You may not participate in this contest if your name is Fredrik Johansson', otherwise the winner would be guaranteed before it even began ;)

NiGHTMARE said:

If they did do this contest, it'd have to have the rule 'You may not participate in this contest if your name is Fredrik Johansson', otherwise the winner would be guaranteed before it even began ;)

Huh? I didn't see anyone suggest an ego contest.