Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Not Jabba

The 2019 Cacowards

The 2019 Cacowards is a joke. One Mapped "WADS" shouldn't even be considered. Nor should TC's or partial TC's. One mapped WADS are just that: One Map. How does this even make a game? TC's are just WADS that are altered from the original parameters and they usually suck. At least stick to the original weapons, monsters, etc. to be considered. And have at least 10 Maps to be considered as well.

Eviternity was probably the most boring game I played, ever. It had great eye candy and that's about it. The game play was repetitive and boring.

The ONLY thing the judges got right was that SIGIL is sitting in the Runners-up list rather than actually winning. IMO (and many others), SIGIL just plain sucked. The maps were too short, too boring and very sloppy. It was like the whole thing was just thrown together to meet a deadline. Let's be honest here: The only reason it's even sitting in the Runner-up list is out of respect for Romero.

What ever happened to WADS winning because they stuck to DOOM's original theme? With great maps, original weapons and original monsters? 

Create a WAD that sticks to THAT and still have great game play is far more challenging to create and it deserves more respect than WADS that alter everything or WADS that have a single map.

So.....according to you, vanilla themed mapsets should be nominated for the cacowards, leaving the efforts of the rest of people behind and discarding it like trash?

OK then. Well, tough luck buddy. The judges here are well competent people that KNOWS how to choose the mapsets based on general quality and, TC's AND original texture packs are also included because it's MUCH harder to make original assets, which is quite the feat. Same goes with standalone maps, which mappers put their time to give us an enjoyable map. 

Think before you leap and see the two or three sides of the coin first. 

but... eviternity is really boringternity. replace great OTEX with some standard textures, and i doubt that you'll finish even half of the wad. (sigh)

1 hour ago, dylux said:

*tips fedora*

Doom has always been about innovation and norm breaking. Wipe up your tears and stop screaming at the screen, everything is going to be okay.

18 minutes ago, ketmar said:

but... eviternity is really boringternity. replace great OTEX with some standard textures, and i doubt that you'll finish even half of the wad. (sigh)

Even if it was made out of CC4-tex, or any other custom texture pack, I would still play that wad. Sure, OTEX is indeed a great stuff, and it is one of the best texture packs ever designed for classic doom. But even without that, the wad is still impressive as a classic full megawad with some custom elements.

39 minutes ago, ketmar said:

Highly disagree. Eviternity is great. Yes OTEX makes it look prettier, but it would still be a cacoward worthy wad even without it. 

1 hour ago, dylux said:

And have at least 10 Maps to be considered as well.

And the reason of this requirement is... According to this arbitrary requirement, neither Double Impact nor No Rest for the Living deserved their respective Cacowards.

42 minutes ago, Diabolución said:

And the reason of this requirement is...

Disqualifying every Ultimate Doom episodes, obviously.

Also, counting in number of maps is certainly a great idea, because who wouldn't say that this is so much better than that?

1 minute ago, Gez said:

Disqualifying every Ultimate Doom episodes, obviously.

Also, counting in number of maps is certainly a great idea, because who wouldn't say that this is so much better than that?

Well quantity > quality ofc.

3 hours ago, dylux said:

The 2019 Cacowards is a joke. One Mapped "WADS" shouldn't even be considered. Nor should TC's or partial TC's. One mapped WADS are just that: One Map. How does this even make a game? TC's are just WADS that are altered from the original parameters and they usually suck. At least stick to the original weapons, monsters, etc. to be considered. And have at least 10 Maps to be considered as well.

Eviternity was probably the most boring game I played, ever. It had great eye candy and that's about it. The game play was repetitive and boring.

The ONLY thing the judges got right was that SIGIL is sitting in the Runners-up list rather than actually winning. IMO (and many others), SIGIL just plain sucked. The maps were too short, too boring and very sloppy. It was like the whole thing was just thrown together to meet a deadline. Let's be honest here: The only reason it's even sitting in the Runner-up list is out of respect for Romero.

What ever happened to WADS winning because they stuck to DOOM's original theme? With great maps, original weapons and original monsters? 

Create a WAD that sticks to THAT and still have great game play is far more challenging to create and it deserves more respect than WADS that alter everything or WADS that have a single map.

Feel free to host your own awards list :3

4 hours ago, dylux said:

dumb ass rant

Sorry, looks like you entered in the wrong timeline, because those "rules" you posted there have nothing to do with the Cacowards.

33 minutes ago, Scuba Steve said:

Ironically, the awards have gotten more in touch with classic Doom since the staff was expanded to include more diverse voices. The Cacowards continue to improve every year—they are more objective and focused than any time in their history thanks to a core of incredible players and writers.

But by all means, complain. It wouldn't be a Cacoward season without some degree of whining and vitriol.

More seasoned doomworld vets remember the flame wars with every single /newstuff review thread. We're talking pages of angry shit.

Glad that's over now.

6 minutes ago, Csonicgo said:

More seasoned doomworld vets remember the flame wars with every single /newstuff review thread. We're talking pages of angry shit.

Glad that's over now.

I'm relatively new around here, what flame wars are you talking about?

i'm not saying that eviternity is not impressive. but it is possible to be both impressive and boring. ;-) somehow it just doesn't "click" for me. i did half of it, and then i suddenly remembered that i don't *have* to play it. that was the best moment of the whole wad. ;-)

p.s.: "for me" is the most important part here.

30 minutes ago, Lorenz0 said:

I'm relatively new around here, what flame wars are you talking about?

Once upon a time, doomworld was a news aggregator modeled after slashdot. You had a staff of editors who would post summaries of community happenings, and then there was a comment section tied to each summary/story. An editor posting a story is work intensive, requiring they check out the source, write some kind of summary, provide relevant links, maybe a screenshot etc. In other words: finite time for journalism, but near infinite projects (megawads, TCs, demo packs, DM tournaments, review critics) that need to be covered. Which lead to ape-like jockeying for the news editors' attention, or bashing other people's projects because they're similar to yours and you want yours to be noticed not theirs. Also we were pretty much all underage

2 hours ago, Csonicgo said:

Glad that's over now.

Oh so that's why /newstuff chronicles is dead.

5 minutes ago, Gothic said:

Maybe. I'm sure it took up a lot of time writing those as well.

Newstuff is dead because it was on life-support before, and so when the website was redesigned with the forum software upgrade, there was no motivation to bring it back.

Whether or not you like Eviternity it definitely deserves its place at the top of the list. It has started appearing at the top of every thread where people ask for wad recommendations - and even before other stereotypical suggestions like Alien Vendetta.

If something is able to affect people to that extent it definitely deserves an award.

2 hours ago, Gothic said:

Man, I wish I was more actively involved in the community because I actually enjoyed writing the few reviews I did for /newstuff, probably wasn't the best at it but it was good fun.

Really liked reading them too, shame really.