• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cambreaKer

What is your favorite sourceport?

what's your favorite sourceport?  

187 members have voted

1. 1. what's your favorite sourceport?

It's a tie between Crispy Doom and PrBoom+. I used to like ZDoom and GZDoom better until 2016.

Voted PrBoom, because it's more vanilla, but it's basically a tie between it, Eternity, GZDoom, and Crispy.

I'm hopelessly biased so, yeah, you might guess. :)

I'm still surprised that Crispy is outclassing PrBoom by now...

24 minutes ago, Graf Zahl said:

I was wondering the same thing. PrBoom+ used to be the 2nd most popular source port by a fair margin. Now it seems that Crispy has surpassed it.

I'm surprised crispy has as many votes as it does. It's a cool port I just don't see why that over prboom. Does crispy limit removing?

Poll is missing DelphiDoom, Eternity, k8vavoom, Retro, Risen3D, RUDE, and more.

50 minutes ago, Gez said:

Poll is missing DelphiDoom, Eternity, k8vavoom, Retro, Risen3D, RUDE, and more.

Doesn't matter, obviously ;)

In general:

Given Crispy's popularity, i would venture they would like Fabians other port,  Woof. Tho it is based on WinMBF.

2 hours ago, Graf Zahl said:

Me too, but hey!

6 minutes ago, Avoozl said:

Never heard of RUDE before.

A recently (?) released Chocolate Doom fork, with an extra difficulty. Basically a LZDoom LITE.

Spoiler

LZDoom is a GZDoom fork that is meant for older systems.

I want to choose between multiple source ports honestly. One isn't simply enough.

1 hour ago, Avoozl said:

Never heard of RUDE before.

Romero's Ultimate Doom Engine. All of Frag's ports aren't on the Wiki yet.

Frag also makes a ton of ZDoom derivatives: ZDoom Classic (CL), ZDoom Legacy Edition (LE), and ZDoom32. There used to be even more, but these are the actively maintained ones. Frag added a lot of features to each of them, but given these are for legacy systems, ill list them on GPU support:

• ZDoom32 has among other things a OpenGL 2.0 renderer, taken from GZDoom 1.9.1.
  • ZDoom LE has a OpenGL 1.2 renderer, taken from GZDoom 1.8.4. Graf did say that GZ never used OpenGL 1.2, but Frag found out that the renderer works on this level of hardware.
  • ZDoom CL adds in an early Direct3D renderer that was barely documented in ZDoom versions 2.1.7 and 2.2 and adds a OpenGL 1.1 renderer, taken from GZDoom 1.0.17. It can also run on Windows 95.
1 hour ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

A recently (?) released Chocolate Doom fork, with an extra difficulty. Basically a LZDoom LITE.

Hide contents

LZDoom is a GZDoom fork that is meant for older systems.

I want to choose between multiple source ports honestly. One isn't simply enough.

RUDE has been around since 2018.

1 hour ago, Redneckerz said:

Ah, sorry. But considering that new (derivative) source ports are quite rare (AFAIK), I'll say that's relatively new.

Edited by TheNoob_Gamer

Always been a fan of ZDoom and GZDoom. Its the most user friendly one for me. Slap all the iwads in one folder, run it and play with the neat menu listing all the doom engine games, and all I have to do to play wads is drop them on the exe. I dont want to fiddle with command lines or type shit or whatever nonsense, or deal with archaic old UIs.

Only thing I dont like about GZDoom is that it defaults to blurry mess smeared blobby filters, but its quite easy to configure it to be pixelly andlook and feel like Doom, to a non-purist. Even then, I play classic things with Strict compatibility.

EDIT: A must is also good controller compatibility. I learned the ins and outs of Doom originally via the playstation, and went from there to PC with a PC controller, and can barely play without one

I'd use ZDoom for mods and Choco/Crispy for more vanilla-like gameplay. It really depends, but if I'd have to choose I'd go for ZDoom. It's really an amazing port.

8 hours ago, guydude said:

I'm surprised crispy has as many votes as it does. It's a cool port I just don't see why that over prboom. Does crispy limit removing?

I'm surprised some people still use ZDoom when there exist GZDoom and LZDoom.

PrBoom+, more specifically GLBoom+. Runs buttery smooth on my toaster and looks fantastic. Waiting for VulkanBoom+ to give me a reason to upgrade...

I'd probably be using prboom+ instead of Doom Retro for Boom/MBF if it didn't have so many issues for me, such as mouse lag.

22 minutes ago, Juza said:

I'd probably be using prboom+ instead of Doom Retro for Boom/MBF if it didn't have so many issues for me, such as mouse lag.

Are you using VSync? If yes, then well, that's the reason for it.

It's not Frag, it's drfrag (mi old MP nick) aka dondiego aka I.R. aka diabolo666. :lol:

I only maintain LZDoom now. And "there's another one", just in case i registered the NZDoom (NeoZDoom) name. :lol:

8 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

I just wanted to create a limit removing Choco at first, i semi-abandoned it for some time and then i picked it up and added more stuff.

Well it's a mix of nostalgic and hardcore, you'd better try. About Unholy Massacre i'd say it's 2xDoom. :lol:

I plan to implement Real2x(tm) also in ZDoom. I don't think anything could go wrong. :lol:

This is the previous poll:

9 minutes ago, drfrag said:

It's not Frag, it's drfrag (mi old MP nick) aka dondiego aka I.R. aka diabolo666. :lol:

I only maintain LZDoom now. And "there's another one", just in case i registered the NZDoom (NeoZDoom) name. :lol:

I just wanted to create a limit removing Choco at first, i semi-abandoned it for some time and then i picked it up and added more stuff.

Well it's a mix of nostalgic and hardcore, you'd better try. About Unholy Massacre i'd say it's 2xDoom. :lol:

I plan to implement Real2x(tm) also in ZDoom. I don't think anything could go wrong. :lol:

This is the previous poll:

What is NZDoom/NeoZDoom going to consist of? :P

24 minutes ago, seed said:

Are you using VSync? If yes, then well, that's the reason for it.

Someone told me the same thing months ago, and we both checked, but, there's no Vsync option in my prboom+, for whatever reason.

Edit: It's actually present in glboom+, but I dislike Hardware's look, so it's useless for me. Plus, it doesn't present the mouse lag issue even with Vsync turned on.

I vote for Doom Legacy because it has splitscreen multiplayer :)