Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nelguy

What is the best Quake source port?

Does anybody knows what is the best Quake source port for Mac that has the type of customization of GZDoom?

1 hour ago, SilverMiner said:

Quakespasm I think

No, that's more along the lines of a Crispy/PrBoom-lite kind of port IMO.

I think Darkplaces hits closer to home here, apparently it has Mac builds too, but I don't know how active is the development anymore, heard it re-emerged but nothing too solid that I could find: https://icculus.org/twilight/darkplaces/download.html

I tried that one but I'm pretty sure it's a 32-bit app, which is no longer supported by the current mac operative system.

9 hours ago, seed said:

I think Darkplaces hits closer to home here,

There's just one big problem with Darkplaces. It looks so massively different than the original renderer that it's sometimes hard to recognize the game anymore. I very much prefer Quakespasm for that reason alone.

1 minute ago, Graf Zahl said:

There's just one big problem with Darkplaces. It looks so massively different than the original renderer that it's sometimes hard to recognize the game anymore. I very much prefer Quakespasm for that reason alone.

I actually like that a lot, really helps with the sometimes overused browns and color monotony of Quake, and with texture mods it looks just insane. Toss such a bad boy in Darkplaces and damn, Quake suddenly feels like it came out in the late 2010s during the renaissance of retro FPSes.

I mean:

Shit that looks so good.

4 hours ago, markanini said:

Quakespasm-Spiked

What's it's the Features? Rigth now i can't google it.

I prefer MarkV for its console integration with Quake Injector, the ease of demo access and many of the new customization options.

Quakespasm-Spiked is the sourceport you're looking for if you have a monitor with Hz above 72. Afaik it's the only sourceport that does not break Quake's physics when above 72fps (the original Quake's physics are bound to its FPS, and going higher than 72 can cause weird quirks on it).

8 minutes ago, seed said:

(some video with a horrible "HD" rendition of Quake)

Shit that looks so good.

I'm speechless

4 minutes ago, Juza said:

I'm speechless

Heh, I guess it's all up to personal preference. I love how it looks :p

I think Darkplaces looks really good in some spots but horribly garish most of the time. But no harm in someone else liking it.

7 hours ago, jamondemarnatural said:

What's it's the Features? Rigth now i can't google it.

It is a fork of Quakespasm, adding:

Main Features

Based on QuakeSpasm, offering familiarity.

Retains Quakespasm's look and feel.

Superior networking (server just needs port 26000 forwarded through NATs, without having to deal with DMZ nonsense).

High framerates no longer affect physics.

Expanded limits vs Quakespasm.

Plethora of SSQC extensions (to make the impossible possible!).

Simple CSQC support, for mod-specific huds and menus!

Optional fancy particle system (compatible with FTE+DP).

Optional PNG texture replacements (not just tga).

MD3 model support, basic IQM support.

PK3 support.

Ogg vorbis for sound effects as well as just music.

Fixes 'sticky walls' bug.

Skyrooms ("_skyroom" "x y z paralax rotspeed rotx roty rotz" worldspawn key)

Per-entity BSP Contents overrides (eg: self.skin = CONTENTS_WATER;).

Supports lightmap scaling, BSPX lits, and lots more stuff!

Increased lightstyle limit (beyond 255). Requires updated light util.

Increased lightstyles-per-face limit (up to 16). Requires updated light util.

Voicechat (can be embedded into demos).

Provides misc_model support, for mods that do not.

10 hours ago, seed said:

Heh, I guess it's all up to personal preference. I love how it looks :p

I'm speechless, too. >D

That video is a great showcase of virtually everything I dislike about "enhancement" mods of any kind.

26 minutes ago, Graf Zahl said:

I'm speechless, too. >D

That video is a great showcase of virtually everything I dislike about "enhancement" mods of any kind.

Ah, but I love how it looks :3 .

Even more atmospheric than it already was, and it feels both modern AND retro at the same time.

35 minutes ago, seed said:

Ah, but I love how it looks :3 .

Even more atmospheric than it already was, and it feels both modern AND retro at the same time.

lol I don't understand what people see in this kind of visual enhancements, If you're going to upgrade the assets, you might as well go an extra mile and make them fit, It's the reason some game remasters aren't well received sometimes, hell some remasters are usually mocked for being just the same game with a fresh coat of paint with no improvements to other aspects (like gameplay or level design). but it's your choice.

I'm actually genuinely surprised to see so many people hating this stuff lmao.

If you want more atmosphere and visual enhancements play maps that are made for that. Like the Arcane Dimensions mod, which makes use of coloured lighting and coloured fog and such which Quakespasm and Quakespasm-Spiked can provide.

I personally am not a fan of Darkplaces with the replacements and all that stuff. Slapping highres textures an bumpmaps on lowpoly geometry does not work very well, imo.

24 minutes ago, seed said:

I'm actually genuinely surprised to see so many people hating this stuff lmao.

Are you? Just look around here what kinds of ports may people use for Doom - and even on the GZDoom forum you'll have a hard time finding many users of upscale packs. Do you really think the same people totally switch gears when playing Quake?

Just now, Graf Zahl said:

Are you? Just look around here what kinds of ports may people use for Doom - and even on the GZDoom forum you'll have a hard time finding many users of upscale packs. Do you really think the same people totally switch gears when playing Quake?

With Doom, as a sprite based game I can fully understand the rejection of such modifications to the game which might be perceived as looking out of place to people.

But in Quake, a true 3D game with simple higher res textures, models, and a few more particle effects (and maybe different lightning)... hell no. Not at all, and I'm not being sarcastic.

Whenever I see high res textures slapped on low res geometry I can't help but think of out of bounds stuff like this rofl:

Spoiler

16 minutes ago, seed said:

With Doom, as a sprite based game I can fully understand the rejection of such modifications to the game which might be perceived as looking out of place to people. 

But in Quake, a true 3D game with simple higher res textures, models, and a few more particle effects (and maybe different lightning)... hell no. Not at all, and I'm not being sarcastic. 

Well, that's certainly a new standard for drawing the line when modifications are acceptable and when not.

I use the same standards as for Doom: As long as it gracefully integrates with the original artwork it's fine (e.g. GZDoom's dynamic lights) but if it tries to reinvent the visuals from scratch I'm out.

1 minute ago, Graf Zahl said:

Well, that's certainly a new standard for drawing the line when modifications are acceptable and when not.

I use the same standards as for Doom: As long as it gracefully integrates with the original artwork it's fine (e.g. GZDoom's dynamic lights) but if it tries to reinvent the visuals from scratch I'm out.

But that's also my logic ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ .

To me this still very much feels and looks like Quake without reinventing anything...

de gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum

The whole thing about graceful integration is that it's very subjective. Personally I'm not fond of high-res environment textures, this is as true in Doom or Quake as in games like Skyrim. I do like high-poly packs when they stay faithful to the original shape (unless the shape was stupid to begin with) and they are done competently (I've seen some horror stories there). I think I kind of like that red fog effect on the slipgates, it helps sell them as being these otherworldly devices rather than just ugly platforms, but the rest of what's shown in the video doesn't interest me.

13 hours ago, seed said:

Shit that looks so good.

I agree with that first word only. It looks to me like (and actually is) game remade to attract coolkidz spoiled by modern graphicz.

I feel sorry for Seed getting roasted for his liking 

But in all honesty, I am not impressed by the visuals shown in the video either. The HD textures coupled with the extremely low-poly enviroments look a bit jarring to me. And the explosion effects (while nice looking on their own) look unfitting for Quake.

But I am not going to stop anyone from doing what they like.

1 minute ago, seed said:

Welp, in that case I think we can all agree to disagree at least :V .

Its not Doom, so given that we are on Doomworld, its inferior. ;)

Missing mentions for Tenebrae that brought fancy Doom 3 lighting to Quake years before Doom 3 came around (and Tenebrae 2.) and QBism Super8.

And my personal fave, Engoo. Basically a software rendered take on implementing Darkplaces level features. It looks snazzy.

FNnSJpC.png