Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HombreSal

Is Doom 3 good?

Hi I'm new. You guys seem to be nice from the posts I've read so I think I'll enjoy it here. I'll try to be nice too.

Anyway, I started getting into Doom recently. I've just completed Doom 1 UV and am about to complete Doom 2 on UV too. I don't have Doom 2016, but am curious to try out Doom 3 so as to follow the games chronologically. I don't hear many people talking about it, and so I was wondering what I am gonna get into if I buy it. Is it a bad game? 

Edited by HombreSal

It's very different. The rest are thematically similar, whereas doom 3 is slower, darker and scarier. Really more survival horrorish with a more in-depth story. I enjoy it but it is flawed. Arguably too dark, and a bit clunky. And the shotgun is an unholy abomination pulled straight from the backside of the dark lord himself.

If you go into it expecting the 90's Doom experience with better graphics, you'll probably be disappointed. Or, at least, end up with a bad taste in your mouth. As an atmospheric horror/action FPS, it pretty much nails the experience it's aiming for (in my books). If you're on the fence, I'd definitely suggest giving it a try.   

I like Doom 3. It's a quality horror shooter. I'm going to reiterate on what others have said and say that you should not go into it expecting an experience exactly like the first two entries. It attempts to modernize some of the classic Doom features in various ways, with varying results. Still, I enjoy it, and you may like it if you like spooky shooters like FEAR and Resident Evil 7.

If you take it for what it is it's decent, it's weak in some fields compared to other FPS at the time (Half-Life 2) and after it (F.E.A.R.) but it's not bad. I like it more via the original version as opposed to the BFG Edition, because the latter brightens things up too much and adds too much ammo.

Yeah i think it is i love doom 3 but i can see how it kinda fells short on the replay value compared to the other games on the series. It completely nails the spooky atmosphere and takes the premise of doom on a serious note (it's the polar oposite of the direction the new games are going for now).

Just don't expect a fast paced game, doom 3 is more slow paced, more methodical and it can take some time to get used to the flashlight mechanic, but it def is an interesting take on doom that leans more closely on survival horror than fast paced action. I feel it plays more closely to the original games in comparison to the new games (in terms of basic design and enemy behaviour) but everything it's tweaked for individual combat (very rarely you'll be facing more than a couple of enemies at the same time) and therefore it ends up making the game more slow paced.

It does get a bit repetitive and it kinda runs out of tricks to surprise the player later in the game, but it's worth playing, if you like it, give ressurection of evil a try since it really improves things for the better. Just avoid the BFG edition if you can.

I haven't played enough of it to comment on its gameplay, but it's good from an open source standpoint by being the newest Id developed engine to be open sourced (well, both the original PC and BFG variants anyways)

Good horror fps for its time although has some flaws. If you pretend it's not Doom and want a freaky dark experience, you would like it.

Doom 3 is fine to play once, or twice if you want to complete it on nightmare, but beyond that it doesn't have that much to offer. The jumpscares get repetitive fast, sifting through audio logs and messages on PDAs isn't everybody's cup of tea (certainly ain't my jam), and the final boss is pretty much a letdown. ROE's final boss is more interesting, as are the levels, but not by much. I would argue that Doom 3 is a lot more "formulaic" than classic Doom in more than just one regard, but by all means, it is not an expensive game to buy and play, so might as well have a look.

If you want to play the next game in sequence after Doom2, you should try Doom64. It follows much better from the end of the classic Dooms.

You’d think 64 would be the more spinoff-like game, but actually that more accurately describes Doom3. Its often seen as the black sheep of the franchise, although it’s still good enough to be worth playing through.

It is definitely worth it for the mods alone

Such a good game on its own plus an excellent expansion  … if want more  run and gun try the (In Hell Mod ) and if u want a more  half-life like experience in Doom’s universe try the Phobos Mod ... 

Doom 3 is pretty good, I replay it every couple years or so, I always enjoy it.

Up to that point, there was still some open questions among developers and fans alike about whether Doom was mainly a surivial-horror game or an action game (it's really a balance between both). Doom 3 set out on answering that by taking the survival-horror aspect and running with it. Doom 2016 went the other direction, being almost pure action.

All in all, I really prefer the balance of the classic games, but the newer titles at least give nice reflections on those aspects of the games in isolation.

I think it's good at best, The shotgun isn't too bad to use once you figure out how to properly use it, the flow can come to a halt sometimes when the game decides to make you listen to PDAs to get key codes, and it can feel like you're not getting anywhere with how similar to each other the environments can look, but it's worth playing through at least once.

Try my simple D3FE mod along side it for the original release (shameless plug), I kept it as close to the original as possible gameplay-wise, improved ammo balance to make you prioritize ammo and switch weapons and several other smaller things without meddling with the spirit of the game (not even the shotgun).

If you don't mind playing a bootleg dead space you might find something to enjoy here, also worth giving Resurrection of Evil expansion a shot, more action-oriented than base Doom 3 and adds some new toys to mess around with.

Edited by sluggard

DOOM 3 is great, it has some attention to detail missing from average games, and it still has classic DOOM unforgiving gameplay. I'd suggest you look around for some of the DOOM 3 "megawads" (actually I'd call them "gigapacks") too. "DOOM 3: Phobos" (need to play it when I get back to DOOM 3), "In Hell" and "Tested" are some great examples. See also all of @Kaiser and @hardcore_gamer's works!

My disappointment with the original campaigns is that it was too formulaic in the sense that, just like DOOM 2, your main opponents are monsters. Anything else is just theatrical special effects to jump-scare you that an imp might have appeared behind you (which in fact is often telegraphed with teleport noises). To be really scary, it needed to have an "everything innocuous trying to kill you" vibe, but the world was mostly safe and linear. What is left is the overall "music" of the ambient noises, which is an art in itself. I guess that writing horror is like writing comedy, you need to be really subtle in order for it to work, and it will still be subjective.

Its other letdown is that the way of modding it, while easy to learn, it's also time consuming. Many mods have died in development, or were left in a demo state: Reca|| to He||, Hexen Edge of Chaos. Or authors often complain about the difficulty of editing their maps.

I have the original release of DOOM 3, not the BFG edition! I think it's the original you should get, I read too often that the BFG edition is a watered down mockery of DOOM 3.

Currently, DOOM 3's advantages, for the player, over a powerful GZDoom mod, are:

1. Fully 3D models with accurate collision models for projectiles and such. In GZDoom monsters are still sprites, until someone with enough talent can make models which look like the sprites.
  2. Fully 3D platform movement.
  3. Fully 3D physics calculation, no (remnants of) 2D calculations in a 3D world as it is with vanilla DOOM.
  4. Awesome dynamic lights and shadows. Photorealistic bumpmapping (I can easily imagine I'm in DOOM 3 when I look at real surfaces).

This doesn't take into account DOOM 3's optimization specifically for cramped spaces, which a user won't notice, but designers are aware of. And choosing any other modern games (save for DOOM 2016+) deprives you of the "demonic sci-fi" world specific of DOOM.

Edited by printz

Well it's all a matter of opinion.

It's not really Doomish but more of a generic FPS. The weapons, especially the shotgun, is not as satisfying as classic Doom. There's no SSG in Doom 3 original. It has more story elements than classic Doom, but IMHO this isn't a good thing - it slows the pace for me.

Overall a decent entertaining FPS game with a lot of "scary" elements such as jumpers and monster closets. (which in a way actually resembles classic doom)

my 5 cents: play first 30 minutes (that's about when it starts to be boring), then cheat to hell maps (they're great to look at!), and play another 30 minutes. this way you'll get everything Doom3 can give, and won't bore yourself to death. ;-)

It is a good game. A little too easy, but fun.

And I also recommend getting your hands on the original and not playing the BFG Edition version which strips the game of most of its identity.

Edited by idbeholdME

DOOM 3, much like the majority of id's games, is a great game as its own, is like you feel that the game would have worked better as it's own thing, but nevertheless it's a great game that anybody should try. 8.9/10

The only thing that really-really sucks in the game is the crappy shotgun.

You should try it yourself to see if you like it, personally i enjoyed it but is not for everyone.

I think you should give the VR version a try, (looks really great and is SUPER easy to set up as well.)

But if you don't have it then ig the regular version is pretty good, I've played a good 50% of it, It's a good game but it takes a while for the game to really show what it's capable of.

Yes, the best Doom ever after the original Doom. I have played it a million times.

I suggest you to play it in the lowest difficulty to get used to the situations present in game, after you get more good at it, played it in other difficulties.

For Nightmare difficulty, played it with no saves like I did and you will feel very frustrated if you want to feel it. If you don't want to feel like that, use the saves.

Like Danzer said, it is not for everyone, many users hate Doom 3 because the couldn't stand a chance to play the game.

The PDA's, lockers and other info just make the game feel slow and I ignore them but if you are the guy who like to know about everything aka "lore nerd" I'm sure you will love it.

The shotgun: it's a close combat weapon so don't hesitate to put your shotgun over some demonic/zombie chest.

As a Doomer, I suggest you to play all the Doom games, look for more info on Doomwiki.org

Edited by Gerardo194

You should give it a go! If you try to have a full "Doomer" experience (or at least that's what pushed me to play it), you should definitely give it a chance.

I had to try to play it like, at least 3 or 4 times before beating the game. Like they said plenty of times before, it's not for everyone and it's a pretty controversial title in the Doom saga: some fans love it, some fans hate it.

When I beat the game I figured out that it wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be, but I didn't like it that much nonetheless.

In my opinion, is not what Doom is all about (many people are going to say: "but hey, that's what Doom was supposed to be", but for me is not about that Doom was supposed to be but rather what Doom actually is): I find it awfully slow and horribly dark.

Yes, I know that the original Doom had it's dark, mysterious, scary ambience, but to me the level of darkness in Doom 3 reaches a point where it becomes just annoying. And the game is everything but fast paced. So in the end it's all about taste: this game has a strong focus on giving a correct, realistic atmosphere to the game, including a story, and, as a result, the game immerses the player probably much more than it did before.

Doom 2016 is, what I believe to be, a somewhat good balance between the original Doom and Doom 3 "realistic" experience. I feel as it has the best of both worlds and includes the myth/legend about the Doomguy that has been built in the community along the years.

And, as @Doomkid said, definitely try Doom64. It's REALLY good!

Short Answer: No.

Long Answer: No, because all they cared about when making it, is the engine. From a gameplay design standpoint it leans heavily on gimmicks and choices that were trendy at the time, and I hated those trends as I've gone on long rants against that game Valve made to show. The game is generally ineffective as a horror game, is really boring as a shooting game and its pretty dated in the worst ways. I'd say skip it. Doom 2016 is fine, but I have to say I find it to lack the real timelessness of Doom. I actually think Quake and Dusk, for their differences from Doom, are closer to what Doom 1 and 2 represent than any of the Doom games after Doom 64.

Doom 64 is great though, indeed play that.