Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Job

What's your style?

Doom and Doom II both have two very contrasting styles of levels: the tech/human levels and the demon/hell levels. Which do you prefer when editing or playing a map, whether it is from Id or from an idependent map maker? And how would you describe the atmosphere of them? I've always tried to really figure that out but it doesn't seem like there's a way, since it's one of those "it's there but you can't really touch it" things like what makes Doom so neat.

"My style? You could call it the art of fighting without fighting."

Seriously though, I prefer the hell levels more. I like the atmosphere better.

Doom combines the tech levels and the demonic levels (of course not always). Like in the alien-movies, the aliens created that slimy architecture everywhere they settled. This is how doom works. The demons bring their own reality with them. but the levels with more alternative dimension are cool.

In the original Doom maps, I like the Hell theme the most. For maps that I make myself, I'd go with the medieval type, not so much a gothic theme, unless it's underground like cellars, dungeons, etc.

I totally love tech-types levels when it has good architecture and not 100 packed consoles in a room with the FLOOR1_1, FLAT19 and STARX. Hell-temple levels are nice once in a while too.

Tech base definitely. I just love recreating the atmosphere of Phobos :)

Ultimate DooMer said:

Industrial, military and tech maps. (anything in a modern/futuristic setting)

Cool, those are the same kinds of maps I like. Plus, anything in an Urban-Citylike setting. Realistic settings are ok, if done right.

I dunno, but I tend to like marble hellish levels :D

I just make what ever pops in me head. :D

no, the fists that collide with my head dont count....However....:D

Lord FlatHead said:

Tech mixed with demonic parts. Like Doom 1 Episode 2 then.

Yeah, yeah and yeah! Me goes the same. That´s why ep2 is my fav in UD.

Anything but mountain style levels (ones that use lots of brown rock textures and are made up of caves and stuff).

Tech, cos most of the hell ones are boring. If there were more non-boring hell ones then I'd probably prefer them.

MaTT [TiK] said:
Tech, cos most of the hell ones are boring. If there were more non-boring hell ones then I'd probably prefer them.

I'm workin' on it man. Don't rush me.

Truly hellish maps. Not really marble but bloody "meat" and bone pillar kind. You know, the dark creepy, disgusting, fun-as-hell kind. :) Almost Diablo-ish, but much, much better.

tech levels where parts of it are hell, like they are taking over.

also I like not so much city levels, but village levels, I don't know what it is called, but one of the earlier AV levels, where you end up in a castle.

Levels that make me spend time looking at the design is nice. Getting suprised at how cool things look.

A thorough mix for me. Editing-wise, i've spent about 6 months making hell maps so i'm getting stuck into city/tech maps at the moment. The current one (map17) is the only exception, set in an underground burial crypt with lots of dark caves connecting to lavish, ornate and high-ceilinged hallways.

Anything with great atmosphere. I especially like realistic city/techbase levels, though.