Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jawohlf

So, how feasible (or not) would you say a "Binding of Isaac"-themed mod is?

With BOI already being a shooting-based game, being in plain 2D and most (all?) of its sprites having several positions, I reckon the primary difficulty regarding sprites would be how to extract them from either game.

However, assuming that is doable, how about the rest of it? Do you think at least the core mechanics could be translated well enough to a Doom TC? 

Seems like the angle of most of the sprites in BOI would suit well for Doom, probably just really a matter of extracting and setting up scripts in ZDoom, which isnt hard and can be done in decorate scripting.

Now the procedural room generation can be done as well but I think requires source port modding, or perhaps zscript, to dynamically load the levels with different seeds (as opposed to using a seperate software for a randomly generated WAD). The twitch/discord user FestusVanGeck has started working on something like that.

With stack-able power ups, I think I remember some mods doing that. The decorate scripts would probably get bulky with that, but can be done I think. zscript probably has a more efficient way of doing it.

Visually it should not be too different than Project Warlock. And I think BOI way of doing rogue-like mechanics is better than Project Warlock. So I could see such a mod being well-recieved.

10 hours ago, Immorpher said:

Now the procedural room generation can be done as well

By also using tools like OBLIGE.

The difficulty will also be the copyrighted stuff (assumming Edmund prohibited graphic reusing)

A first person TBOI would work really well on Doom, only a good source port I believe.

On 2/20/2020 at 3:33 PM, Immorpher said:

Now the procedural room generation can be done as well but I think requires source port modding, or perhaps zscript, to dynamically load the levels with different seeds (as opposed to using a seperate software for a randomly generated WAD). The twitch/discord user FestusVanGeck has started working on something like that.

This is my only concern, not sure of how doable or if the work it would take would be worth it. Personally I'd be satisfied with a hand crafted TBOI TC rather than a procedurally generated one if it were made, the potential for the enemies and bosses to translate well is really good if you ask me.

Whichever way an Isaac TC took, it would be great. Procedural generation would be a neat hook, but it would not be needed at all if the hand-crafted content was good enough. And with Isaac's relatively simple floor layouts, I don't see it as the biggest hurdle.