Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ReeseJamPiece

What's 1 quirky thing about the place you live?

I live close to the tallest waterfall in the world El Salto Angel, that was also showed on the film UP!,  and the place where it's located it's on a really sad state now compared to 10 years ago :(

image.png.d81919cf79daca124dc0aa2e2c70a364.png

In Albert Lea MN, we get the wackiest winters.
Like, normal the first few days, and then BAM, 8 inches of snow, a closing of school and two 2 hour delays in a row.

I used to live in Blackpool and it interestingly has the only surviving first-generation tramway in England. The tramway is also one of the oldest in the world.

(Info taken from Wiki).

Speaking of statues. We have on a university campus this... exploding dong statue called 'Marine Venus'. It's supposed to be an Inuit holding snow or somethin. Hahaha.

QrLpeKz.jpg

My city has a large, wooded park (75-hectare) with 39km of paths, etc... It includes the ruins of old forts and up until 1844 the Royal Navy hung pirates there. The place is rented from the British government for 10 cents a year with a lease for 999 years.

dUPC4SG.jpg

6 hours ago, seed said:

My city was chosen for European Capital of Culture in the second half of the 2000s.

It's also the birthplace of quite a few personalities.

Where are you from? Just curious.

7 hours ago, Jewellds said:

Probably the quirkiest thing is that there's a statue in our town square that youths like to stick traffic cones on. It's become something of a local tradition.

408805137_IMG_20190729_172645465tiny.jpg.0aa023c2b09aaf03cf311acbdc28c5ad.jpg

You live in Gibraltar!? Man! I've always wanted to go to Gibraltar!

It's the typical "dox yourself" and "stalker database" thread, ebin :DDD

Okay I'll contribute instead of shitting it up. The place where I live is far from major cities and deep in the countryside, it's very calm and very quiet. The landscape has its own charm as well so every now and then, we have city bugmen/women coming just to yap on about "how relaxing and idyllic this place is and how lucky I'm to live here". Every. Goddamn. Time. My usual reaction goes along the lines of "Great... When do you leave by the way?"

8 hours ago, Jewellds said:

Probably the quirkiest thing is that there's a statue in our town square that youths like to stick traffic cones on. It's become something of a local tradition.

408805137_IMG_20190729_172645465tiny.jpg.0aa023c2b09aaf03cf311acbdc28c5ad.jpg

reminds me of this statue on gta 3

GTA3-AirportStatue.jpg

I shouldn't be coming here... i have too much to talk about Dx

I'll just say one before i pull out my list...

In the northern part of my city a catholic church, an orthodox church and a mosque are pretty much right next to each other :O
This symbolizes Albanias religion tolerance more like it's because there was no more free space around the city when they started building them :D

Oh and we have the biggest catholic church in the bal- oh poop i got my list out Dx

2 hours ago, ReeseJamPiece said:

You live in Gibraltar!? Man! I've always wanted to go to Gibraltar!

Nope! Sorry. I don't live in Gibraltar. I live in England. That's just a building called Gibraltar House. It's a dentist of all things.

Just now, Jewellds said:

Nope! Sorry. I don't live in Gibraltar. I live in England. That's just a building called Gibraltar House. It's a dentist of all things.

Yeah, there are a number of places called "Gibraltar House".  There's at least one in Australia, for instance.  It's about 6 hours down the road from me :)

I come from BullS***Garia Bulgaria. I think this way of calling the land is enough to tell you what it is here. 

It's not all bad. At least as a tourist destination, Bulgaria is great. The people are friendly in general. There are a lot of problems, but also a lot of good things to see here. Rich history, jack of all trades in terms of nature, good hotels and so on. The problem is living here for long makes you feel bored. And at times the problem of our economy being just meh will kick in. That's why I said "BullS***Garia". 

36 minutes ago, Jewellds said:

Out of everything to call a dentist, they call it 'Gibraltar House' :/

2 minutes ago, spd7693 said:

I come from BullS***Garia Bulgaria. I think this way of calling the land is enough to tell you what it is here. 

It's not all bad. At least as a tourist destination, Bulgaria is great. The people are friendly in general. There are a lot of problems, but also a lot of good things to see here. Rich history, jack of all trades in terms of nature, good hotels and so on. The problem is living here for long makes you feel bored. And at times the problem of our economy being just meh will kick in. That's why I said "BullS***Garia". 

Bulgaria is nice from what I've heard, coming from a smallish city in Scotland in a poorish neighbourhood I don't really tend to see many East Europeans besides Polish people. (The Polish are bloody everywhere in my city for some reason)

Though from what I've heard from others, it can get boring as you said. To be honest, I'd say the same about Scotland. We have great history, cool nature and endless supplies of pubs full of small minded chavs and football hooligans to poke fun at. But when people realise that Scotland isn't exactly as rich as it's neighbour England and lacks things to do besides visit castles and cities, people just get bored. Honestly, if you remove all the food shops/restaurants in my city then all you have is: Tourist Traps, Grass, Chavs and Streets With 0 Things Happening Everyday. 

Maybe I've just haven't explored everything to see in Scotland, but I've been to most of the major cities at least 3 times and the Highlands is basically just grass and mountains with some villages in them...

I'm planning on moving abroad to somewhere more exciting and new, hopefully somewhere far away from Scotland.

25 minutes ago, Bingo Johnson said:

And this is our Christimas tree (courtesy of the city hall):

arvore-rio-claro.jpg.63d99194ccce0a5505d4f6bdb25ad51d.jpg

Plot twist: A Homeless Man pops out the tree and yells for soy beans.

16 hours ago, Danzer said:

the city i live in has this weird theme park

image.png.a0d6c73f4bca6008eac5232d485a7caa.png

a giant glass of wine

image.png.4f1b4ecb0d435cd131944433b1499e3a.png

and this building that looks like it could be from a doom level 

image.png.440342e649381ece277802de85065777.png

it has some other things but these are the ones on the top of my head right now.

WTF? eso está en Mendoza?

We have this weird Arch in the middle of nowhere, on a dirt road that connects to a low class neighborhood.
image.png.6bbfad13df42434ec8ebc7efd76d25ee.png

Also a random Maradona Statue because Argentina I guess.

image.png.c67967b44250a4a599cc026456c63d8e.png

Edited by DJVCardMaster

I live in the roundabout capital of the US (and probably North America; I wouldn’t be surprised if we have more than any place in Canada or Mexico too)

People murdering infants seems to be on the up-tick around here lately.

Other than that, I live in something of a historic area. The D&H canal was a main shipping thouroughfare for a while, Hunter S. Thompson lived right down the road from me (back in the day), Stephen Crane lived here while writing The Red Badge of Courage, the events involving Joseph Brant's raid and the painted aprons, and we've had our very own pride marches and lynchings.

20 hours ago, Tammato said:

Our Natural History museum was founded by the most renowned paleontologist in the country, and one of the most renowned on Earth. He died yesterday, actually.
Beyond that? not much. It's too small to be relevant, yet too "big" and urban to have the "small town" feel. Kinda sad vibes, really.

I read about that. Sad day, but damn that guy discovered an INSANE amount of dinosaurs. Respect.

10 hours ago, Doom_Dude said:

We have on a university campus this... exploding dong statue called 'Marine Venus'. It's supposed to be an Inuit holding snow or somethin. Hahaha.

QrLpeKz.jpg

LMFAO! Holy fuck.. 😂

The “quirkiest” thing to happen around here recently was months of record breaking bushfires followed by flooding.. other than that, it’s a pretty small, normal beach town.

Our city has a decorative rock that cars keep getting stuck on; eventually googly eyes were applied and Christmas ornaments were made. His name is Rocko.

Car on RockoRockoRocko Ornament

6 hours ago, DJVCardMaster said:

WTF? eso está en Mendoza?

En San Rafael más específicamente.

3 hours ago, ToastedToast said:

His name is Rocko.

What a fitting name.