Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

Very intresting, so that's the maximum ammount of health the player can have in this source port.

It's a limit that can only be raised by going for 64-bit integers, or for floating points. (But floating point health wouldn't really make sense in Doom.)

2 hours ago, Solmyr said:

SSMCo3J.png

Is that a modified version of the Bruiser sprites I shared on the ZDoom forums? I love what you’re doing with them!

42 minutes ago, Faceman2000 said:

Is that a modified version of the Bruiser sprites I shared on the ZDoom forums? I love what you’re doing with them!

That's right, but it's only slightly modified, i just changed the horns, and what's displayed on its monitor in some frames, it looks like this on the screenshot because it was converted to the Doom pallet.

Thank you for sharing sharing those sprites on the ZDoom forums, i wanted to make a bruiser sprite before but i always kept messing it up because of the mouth monitor and the weird shape of it's head and upper back. 

On 2/11/2020 at 8:17 AM, Scypek2 said:

I finally figured out what all switches on Doom 2's MAP26 do. The one at the end of the red key ledge just closes the door for some reason, so that you have to open it with the other switch there unless you take the teleporter instead. The switch in one of the cacodemon closets before the baron exists to open the red key door (which has to be opened beforehand anyway, and never closes) and the secret door leading to the plasma gun (which can also be opened manually, so that's only useful if you don't know about that).

Also the exit lines on that map are just a small square, making it very easy to stand on the sky if you approach the exit hole from the side.

Are the extra ways of opening things possibly for death match?

Most of the crates in Spawning Vats has their lines set to impassible.   Glad I tested deathmatch mode in single player and found out, having placed a DM start on top of one.

The game is much easier to play and the rooms look lighter when the light in the room you're playing in is on. Or when you're playing the game during the day. I don't know if this applies to GLBoom+ only, but with my lights on I had an a lot easier time playing the game and seeing the rooms. Especially the darker ones. 

28 minutes ago, spd7693 said:

Or when you're playing the game during the day.

Oh fuck yes, I love having the sun shining on my face and the monitor. Nothing beats that shit!

On GZDoom you can get 3D enemy localization on headphones simply by creating a text file in the game directory called alsoft.ini with the following contents:

hrtf = true

hrtf=true

NUTS.wad IS possible to finish using Chocolate DooM. (Provided you spam IDKFA/IDFA for cell ammo and use IDDQD at the start). This surprised me since the game usually crashes when trying to beat this map.

3 hours ago, markanini said:

On GZDoom you can get 3D enemy localization on headphones simply by creating a text file in the game directory called alsoft.ini with the following contents:

hrtf = true

hrtf=true

HRTF can also be enabled through the options menu somewhere I think.

14 minutes ago, seed said:

HRTF can also be enabled through the options menu somewhere I think.

It is called reverb...something in the sound settings on recent GZDoom builds IIRC

20 minutes ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

It is called reverb...something in the sound settings on recent GZDoom builds IIRC

No, I'm reasonably sure it's called just that - HRTF.

I was obviously aware that doors (and lifts and other platforms) can crush dead monsters, but not that they can also crush/destroy dropped weapons/ammo from a monster. If you kill a shotgunner just right under an opened door, the door will not only crash his body but also the shotgun he drops. So, you will never get the precious ammo or weapon. I didn't know that one. I know about crashed monster gibs and how it even creates the archville resurrection ghost bug, but nothing on things dropped (I am gonna try and make a map with bonus items under a big opened door, does it only affect the dropped items from monsters or other items?). I found it playing on GZDoom, then tried it on ChocolateDoom just to make sure it's not a bug of GZDoom only.

On 2/14/2020 at 12:41 AM, Solmyr said:

After done testing a new custom monster on GZDoom, i was screwing around with the console, at first i typed "give health 1000000" to see if it can give this much health to the player, then i wanted to see what's the limit, so i typed "give health 1000000000000000000000000000000" and instead of an error message or reseting health to 100%, it actually turned doomguy into a dead man walking with negative 2 billion health. I couldn't do anyting but walk or jump, couldn't commit reverse suicide because the "resurrect" command doesn't work, "kill" also doesn't work, neither "take health". Quite fun.

SSMCo3J.png

I found this bug way back however.

Yeah, I titled it as "Voodoo Doll Glitch returns in GZDoom".

32 minutes ago, Optimus said:

I was obviously aware that doors (and lifts and other platforms) can crush dead monsters, but not that they can also crush/destroy dropped weapons/ammo from a monster. If you kill a shotgunner just right under an opened door, the door will not only crash his body but also the shotgun he drops. So, you will never get the precious ammo or weapon. I didn't know that one. I know about crashed monster gibs and how it even creates the archville resurrection ghost bug, but nothing on things dropped (I am gonna try and make a map with bonus items under a big opened door, does it only affect the dropped items from monsters or other items?). I found it playing on GZDoom, then tried it on ChocolateDoom just to make sure it's not a bug of GZDoom only.

Items with the MF_DROPPED flag are destroyed when crushed. This is vanilla behavior. Items placed in the map do not have this flag and can safely resist being crushed, the best example of that being the pillars of hidden goodies in the main room of MAP32: Grosse. If you open a pillar, kill some nazis while they're inside, and then let the pillar closes, you'll see upon reopening it that the ammo clips dropped by the monsters are no longer there, while all the other goodies are still around.

29 minutes ago, twistedhydrgoen said:

The Berserk Pack heals you up to 100% health. (Doom I and II)

Fun fact - for quite a long time I thought that that was all it did.

The green part of RROCK19 (the flat which looks like rocky floor with moss on it) is exactly the same as GRASS2 (except for a handful of pixels).

On 2/13/2020 at 6:05 PM, Faceman2000 said:

Hey!, were can I take a look at that?

I learned that MM8BDM Is just a Doom mod.
Didn't knew that until Zandronum appeared to me as a Doom Multiplayer Sourceport, not a MM8BDM Game Launcher.

I just learned that Doom 64 isn't the 64th doom game and that Doom 2016 isn't the 2016th doom game.

I feel cheated on.

1 hour ago, Danzer said:

I just learned that Doom 64 isn't the 64th doom game and that Doom 2016 isn't the 2016th doom game.

I feel cheated on.

I mean, are you counting Wad levels and gameplay mods? Those numbers might be closer to the truth... xD