Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Good-Old

Favorite Racing Games?

What are some of your favorite racing games? Also, what do you think on racing games today compared to older ones?

For me,

Flatout 2

NFS Underground 2

Insane

are games that have a space in my hard disk.

Edited by Good-Old : Addition of stuff

Bleifuss aka Screamer for DOS. Oh my god, I remember seeing it the first time and thought: "Holy cow, that's just like in the arcades!". It is a really nice arcade racer. Other than that MotoGP from Ubisoft was a surprisingly fun racer.

Burnout Paradise.

I got it for free in a bundle, and fired it up not expecting much, since I'm not a racing game fan.

To my surprise it was fantastic, and now ranks as one of my favorite games of all time. Mostly because of its open-world gameplay that gives it an escapist feeling.

SuperTuxKart. Fun little Mario Kart-style free game for a local coop session.

But for singleplayer, Dirt Rally 1. Pretty challenging, fair and the graphics are very good.

NFS, up until Pro Street. After that, HP2010 was the last really good NFS game, and MW2012 is a good racing game but not an NFS, it's a rebranded Burnout.

Apart from these, QRAC Rally Championship, Initial D, Colin McRae Rally 2.0, and the 1996 classic Death Rally are among my favorites. Haven't played Forza, Midnight Club, or The Crew though.

Racing is probably one of my least favorite genres but I do love some of the older Mario Kart games such as Double Dash and DS.

As of late (as in, the last 10 years or so), definitely Forza. I started with Motorsport 3, then went to 4 and Horizon. Didn't get an XBox One, so I had to wait until Motorsport 6 Apex on PC before I could get back to it. Since then I've had Motorsport 7, Horizon 4 (and DLC expansions) and now Horizon 3 (and DLC expansions). They've got just enough "arcade-y" styling to make the most fun from the simulation aspects, and the anti-frustration feature of rewind, combined with the highly granular difficulty settings mean basically anybody can have the game they want out of it.

Before the XBox 360 Midnight Club 2 was probably my all-time favourite (I'll say Horizon 4 usurped it), with competition from it's sequel and both Need For Speed: Underground games. I'd say Destruction Derby: Arenas as well, but it is less of a racing game (although not quite as combat-focused as Carmageddon, where the racing is very much a small part).

Prior to those it was probably Need for Speed II SE, which was great. I honestly miss how "out there" the tracks were in those early games - only the Horizon 3 Hot Wheels expansion comes close to revisiting those sorts of layouts. Original F-Zero, Mario Kart, Wacky Wheels and especially Mario Kart 64 also get a worthy mention. I feel like classics such as Mega Race and Slipstream 3000 are notable, although I got to those a bit too young to really tell you how good they are. One I'd really want to get the remake treatment is Big Red Racing. That game was incredible, both at the time and probably now, if it was still there to play. So much variety!

I loved Big Red Racing!

Also:

Whacky Wheels
NFS: Hot Pursuit
Revolt
Gran Tourismo (I think it was 3?)
Rollcage
Star Wars Episode I: Racer (What a horrible name, just call it Podracer you dummies)

If kart racers count, Crash Team Racing.

If not, Need for Speed Underground 2.

My favorite one is Burnout 3: Takedown, the best game in the burnout series IMHO. Close second comes Crash Team Racing for PS1, I remember nobody couldn't beat me on splitscreen multiplayer... good times XD

Hard Drivin'  though I probably played the sequel Race Drivin more. The combination of realistic force feedback controls, crazy stunt tracks and racing against another player's ghost car was highly addictive.

Edited by Urthar

F-Zero X and F-Zero GX.

Games I loved so much that when Nintendo basically verbally buried the series I was done with them. 

Arcade Racers:

Rollcage 1 and 2 and their amazing spiritual successor GRIP which is made by some of the Rollcage devs.

Ballistic NG, spiritual successor to Wipeout, retro done right IMO.

Powerslide, love the post-apocalyptic setting and sense of humor.

Dethkarz

Motorhead, awesome racer with beautiful graphics. Sadly it doesn't have many tracks.

Carmageddon 1 and 2, the racing games (!) for the chemically imbalanced.

Interstate 76, amazing and unique game. Not a pure racing game even though there is a racing mission :)

NFS1, High Stakes, Porsche. Back when NFS games weren't generic garbage. I still play High Stakes with an old friends over a LAN.

Driver

Sims:

Assetto Corsa

GP Legends

Grand Prix 3

Some childhood favourites I still enjoy from time to time: Stunts, Test Drive 2, GP Circuit, Lotus, Big Red Racing, Slipstream 5000, Screamer, Hi Octane,POD, Megarace 1, The Cycles, Ultimate Race Pro (great graphics for the time, came bundled with my Voodoo Card), ...

Edited by Slipgate Tourist

Rad Racer, F-Zero (all of them, except for GP Legend), and most recently, Horizon Chase Turbo.

Also the Rush series, but only the arcade versions.  The console ports were pale imitations.

As already stated Red Racer, F-Zero were awesome!

I really dug SuperMonacoGP and used to play it all summer a good decade ago.

A more recent title that was really satisfying was Grid. Only nuisance being the stupid commentator and other inane fillers.

Team Sonic Racing - PS4

GTA V Online racing , (Does this count?)  - Xbox One

Sonic All-Stars Racing transformed - Xbox 360

GRID -Xbox 360

Burnout - PS2

Destruction Derby 2 -PS1

Ayerton Senna's Super Monaco GP II   - MegaDrive

Gadget Racers/Penny Racers - GBA.

1 - You can customise your car to have different looks. From a basic family car, to a bus to even a rubbish truck.

2 - You upgrade your car as you progress. Start off with a really bad engine but can upgrade over time if you perform well in races to achieve better engines, steering wheels, transitions (MT or AT), Oil, tires, etc...

3 - 5 worlds that all have their own themes. World 1 is city themed. World 2 is off-road and has dirt jungles, sandy deserts or snowy tundras. World 3 is the army world and you can literally race tanks. Blow up your opponents to send them back and try (I do mean TRY) to dodge in-coming shots! World 4, you race on water! With jets, ski's and screws at your disposal to help keep your car afloat as you race at like 30mph cause water... It also contains my least favourite map... *flashbacks of river rapids*. World 5 is the amusement world and is a bit of a mix of worlds 1 and 2 in some designs. It also has my favourite track theme. :D

4 - A LOT to do. This game has a ton of races you need to complete in order to get 100%. Doing some early actually makes the later worlds much easier to approach.

5 - Catchy music. Some of the tracks in GR is surprisingly funky.

6 - NO RUBBER BANDING AI. You can easily lap the dumber AI's in this game. (Maybe the later worlds use rubber banding but if that's the case it is pretty mild).

Carmageddon: Very little actual racing, more vehicular manslaughter.

Crash Team Racing: I didn't grow up with Nintendo consoles after the SNES, so this was my Mario Kart.

Outrun 2019: No particular reason, it's just nostalgic, and very relaxing. I can just zone out while playing it and it makes me feel happy I guess.

Motoracer 1, although I don't really like motorbikes, but the game just feels so good.

Hi-Octane is pretty cool, but feels kind of half complete.

Indycar racing (the old dos version) was fun when I was a child, sometimes the race was about trying to cause the most destructive car crash and see all the car parts fly around.

7 minutes ago, TwinBeast said:

Motoracer 1, although I don't really like motorbikes, but the game just feels so good.

How could I forget to mention Moto Racer, I love that game too. Never played the sequels.

9 minutes ago, Slipgate Tourist said:

How could I forget to mention Moto Racer, I love that game too. Never played the sequels.

I've tried the third one, but didn't like it much, it was too realistic. I got the Motoracer collection in Steam, but so far I've only played the first one from it. Maybe I should try the second one some time to see if it's like the first or what. Or does it even work.

Picked up Redout a few weeks ago. Its pretty fun though maybe too fast for me to control well.

• Stunts (Distinctive Software - 1990)
Spoiler

• Grand Prix (MicroProse - 1992)
Spoiler

• Indycar Racing (Papyrus - 1993)
Spoiler

9 hours ago, elend said:

Bleifuss aka Screamer for DOS. Oh my god, I remember seeing it the first time and thought: "Holy cow, that's just like in the arcades!". It is a really nice arcade racer. Other than that MotoGP from Ubisoft was a surprisingly fun racer.

Screamer was indeed a lot of fun.

Screamer is great but it has the annoying tendency to crash 9 out of 10 times on one particular track. Especially when you play in SVGA mode. Screamer 2 is good too. I never cared much for the rally one.

edit: this is how it looks

0p5KZbE.jpg

Edited by Slipgate Tourist

3 hours ago, silentzorah said:

Also the Rush series, but only the arcade versions.  The console ports were pale imitations.

If I could afford it, I'd have a Rush 2049 arcade cabinet. I'd also need a bigger place as it wouldn't fit in my current apartment. Rush 2 was great on the N64 though. Me and my friend played the hell out of it.

I do like racing games but feel like I'm in a weird place. New racing games look good, but my laptop isn't very powerful, so it can't run them. I either can't obtain, or don't want to play any racing games my laptop can handle. Oh well.