Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jalapen0

Doom 2016 and GeForce Now

I played Doom 2016 on my laptop which has just an i3-2330M which certainly is not capable of doing on its own.  But I was able to get 59-60 fps buttery smooth performance on that ten year old laptop.  Time to believe the hype especially if you are not able to afford a new console or new GPU (and a new PC if you need it).

Does anyone that has a monitor greater than 60hz have had the chance to play Doom 2016 on GeForce Now and get higher frame rates?  The GPU that GeForce Now uses (RTX T10-8) falls somewhere between a RTX 2080 Super and RTX 2080 Ti GPU so that's a win.

So it's true? That Stadia and GeForce Now are a response to the massively inflated GPU prices (thank you bitcoin mining!) and tighter wallets that PC gamers have these days? I haven't tried either service yet, but if Doom 2016 can run that smooth on an ageing laptop like yours, then my new PC sans GPU and with only integrated graphics should run like a breeze, as others have told me.

On 2/13/2020 at 2:32 PM, Foebane72 said:

So it's true? That Stadia and GeForce Now are a response to the massively inflated GPU prices (thank you bitcoin mining!) and tighter wallets that PC gamers have these days? I haven't tried either service yet, but if Doom 2016 can run that smooth on an ageing laptop like yours, then my new PC sans GPU and with only integrated graphics should run like a breeze, as others have told me.

No knowing if the corona virus will impact production of GPUs and game consoles especially the next gen consoles.  That could lead to higher GPU prices from sellers not Nvidia or AMD. The timing of those streaming services arriving couldn’t have been better.

My laptop has Intel HD3000 graphics on it.  I haven’t tried Doom 2016 on that laptop for PlayStation Now but for some reason, Doom 2016 appears to run smoother on PS Now on my PS4 Pro than with the game installed on the same console.  Strange if you asked me.  I’m going to try on that same laptop with PS Now.

If your cpu is at least 2 GHz with intergeated graphics, you are good to go.  My laptop is hooked up to an Ethernet cable to 250 mbps.  I think PS Now requires at least 3 GHz cpus so I’ll see if that is true or not very soon.

I tested the Android version of xCloud and it worked well.  I’m going to test out the Halo Master Chief Collection on my iPhone over my ATT 5GE signal after this post.  I’m sure Doom would run well on xCloud as well.

I was an OnLive subscriber in the past (it worked better than people would give them credit for).  Once Stadia Base (free version) goes live, I’ll be testing that one too.  I’m thinking Doom 2016 will be part of that Pro subscription and it works like PS Plus.  If you cancel, you can’t play until you resubscribe but you still have the games.  That probably would happen when Doom Eternal comes out next month.

The haters will degrade streaming services as much as they can but I will say they work well for me at least 95% of the time.  Just ask them how many games they would buy with that $300-500 they would have spent on a console.

Was able to run Playstation Now without a hitch and I had my DS4 controller connected to the laptop via micro usb cable.  I was able to get smooth gameplay (can't tell if it was 60 fps or not) and vibration feedback from the DS4.  I'm going to have to hook my Xbox controller via micro usb cable to see if vibration works with GeForce Now (I think it will).

Now I wait for Stadia Base to launch and I expect Doom 2016 to work as well as GeForce Now & Playstation Now on the PC.  $60 per year for PS Now is an absolute steal especially when you can access 800+ games from the PS library from the PS2 to the PS4.

Looks like Bethesda pulled Doom off of GeForce Now which is a bummer.  That comes after Activision Blizzard pulled their games from GeForce Now as well.  I don't think it would be smart to put all of your eggs in one basket in this case.

On 2/15/2020 at 5:47 AM, Jalapen0 said:

Now I wait for Stadia Base to launch and I expect Doom 2016 to work as well as GeForce Now & Playstation Now on the PC.  $60 per year for PS Now is an absolute steal especially when you can access 800+ games from the PS library from the PS2 to the PS4.

Wait a minute, are you saying that with PS Now, you can just play any game you like from the library? You don't have to have bought it before? That's cool beyond belief!

So Stadia will do the same for PC?

5 hours ago, Foebane72 said:

Wait a minute, are you saying that with PS Now, you can just play any game you like from the library? You don't have to have bought it before? That's cool beyond belief!

So Stadia will do the same for PC?

You don't have to buy those games individually...just access that library for the time you paid for.  You don't need a PS4 for that...just go buy a Dualshock 4 controller and hook it up to your PC and you are good to go.  I can play Rage but not Rage 2 since Rage 2 is not available for PS Now at this point.  Doom Eternal will not be available for PS Now on day one but later on like with Doom 2016.  If I were you, I'd start with the monthly subscription to see if it works before going ahead with the yearly subscription.  But $60 for 800+ games for one year...how can you say no to that?  But the game devs have the right to remove games from any streaming service so keep that in mind.

As for Stadia, it is not like PS Now.  You would buy the games individually like with a console and its Pro subscription works like Playstation Plus so I would recommend subbing to Stadia Pro when you get started with Stadia because you would get at least two free games a month and can play them as long as your subscription is active...just like Playstation Now and Xbox Games With Gold.  Xbox is going to come out with xCloud perhaps this summer if not at the end of the year and I am not sure how many games would be available for that service but I have tested on Android & iOS and would recommend to anyone.  Doom Eternal will be available for purchase on Stadia if not on day one.  I hope that Stadia Base will launch soon since I already have a Xbox and DS4 controller in addition to the keyboard and mouse.

My plan for Stadia is to start with the Pro subscription and then if I feel comfortable enough & confident in my internet connections, I would buy a game.  I'm not worried about games being removed from streaming services such as Stadia because Stadia is basically a streaming videogame console.  PS Now, GeForce Now, and xCloud still will have the risk of having games removed from those streaming services at any time.