Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
taufan99

Console DOOM backports/improvements list

As projects to bring console DOOM ports to either the PC or improvement have recently increased, I feel like there needs to be a semi-comprehensive list for people to keep a track.

Atari Jaguar

Calico, by @Quasar

Platform: PC

Latest status: Active (?)

Latest version: 1.0

Doom: Slayer Edition, by Sporadic and CyranoJ

Platform: Jaguar

Latest status: Active

Latest version: Not yet released (still in development)

Panasonic 3DO

Phoenix Doom, by @intacowetrust

Latest version: 1.0.2

OptiDoom, by @Optimus

Platform: 3DO

Latest version: 0.2

Sony PlayStation

Dark ZDoom/DZDoom (formerly GEC GZDoom), by Team GEC @Gerardo194 @Erick194 @Chris194

Latest version: v2

Special note: Also supports DOOM 64

PlayStation Doom: Master Edition, by Team GEC @Gerardo194 @Erick194 @Chris194 (with help from various other users)

Platform: Playstation

Latest version: Beta 3

PsyDoom, by @intacowetrust

Latest version: 0.1.1

Original PC version

GBADoom (based on prBoom), by @Doomhack (fork by @Kippykip)

Platform: Game Boy Advance

Latest status: Active (both original and fork)

Latest version: 1.7 (SVN 1.4)

DSDoom (based on prBoom), by WinterMute

Platform: Nintendo DS

Last status: Discontinued

Last version: 1.2.1

64Doom (based on original source code), by @jnmartin84

Not to be confused with DOOM 64!

Platform: Nintendo 64

Latest version: 1.? New release!

Keep in mind that this list is incomplete and will be updated as time goes by.

Edited by InDOOMnesia : Added Chris from Team GEC to their projects.

There's also OptiDoom by Optimus, which is another 3DO port for PC:

13 minutes ago, seed said:

There's also OptiDoom by Optimus, which is another 3DO port for PC:

I don't think it's intended for PC, but rather a vastly improved 3DO port for the console itself, even though you do need to use PC to merge the original game's ISO with the port.

But yeah, I have included it in the thread as well.

Uh, not too sure about that but whatever.

Also don't forget about GEC GZDoom, which is a reverse engineered port for PSX Doom based on an old version of GZDoom, but it's better to list is as Dark ZDoom/DZDoom, since that's what the name will change to once version 3 comes out:

22 minutes ago, seed said:

Uh, not too sure about that but whatever.

It's in the title, "for 3DO"!

Also worth noting, GEC's "GZDoom" was recently renamed "DZDoom", it's just not in the thread title yet.

Speaking of GEC, they also have "PlayStation Doom: Master Edition" — it hasn't been stated in the OP, but I believe one of their goals is to further optimize the PSX Doom engine. It's what led them to disassembling the PSX engine.

Added them in the list. Thank you for your help!

Also, I am aware of the existence of PrBoom for GBA (which allows you to play the DOOM games the way it was originally supposed to be), just not so sure if I'll put it on the thread as well.

1 hour ago, Lollie said:

It's in the title, "for 3DO"!

Also worth noting, GEC's "GZDoom" was recently renamed "DZDoom", it's just not in the thread title yet.

I really want some more clarity on it so i can add it to the DoomWiki @Gerardo194 ;) You know what i want, what i really really want!

5 hours ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

Speaking of PRBoom+ on console, there's DSDoom.

There's also a source port on N64 available. Not Doom 64, of course.

PrBoom and PrBoom+ have been ported to a lot of systems, just like Chocolate Doom. For instance, PrBoom also has a PS3 port.

It could be fun to list all the platforms that run on either of these 3, some are still recent too. WiiDoom, for instance, is getting a 2020 update based on Chocolate Doom. (The Wii already has Strife/Hexen/Heretic/Doom support by one and the same author)

Alright, added GBADoom, DSDoom, and 64Doom. Other PC-based backports for other consoles should be reported to me for inclusion in the thread.

I think Kaiser's console Doom broke ground for a lot of this stuff before anyone else though I could be wrong.

I can't seem to find a download link.  I tried searched Doomworld's idgames database and wad-archive.com for console and couldn't find specifically that.

The Lost Episode has PSX maps it expands on in new directions:

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom/Ports/j-l/lostepis

I think there might be something like three different SNES Dooms though I could only get ahold of one.

I haven't tried it but it actually uses some SPC drivers or something supported by source ports to play the SNES version's awesome music exactly.

Then there's a video on youtube of Doom 2 map09's music Into Sandy's City playing with a SNES soundfont or something.

I don't know if anyone has recreated or ported SNES e2m2 (E2M3 on PC) Refinery with its secret before me though.

Here's the Ultimate Doom E2M3 renamed E2M2 with just the SNES secret exit added and nothing else done to it.

I just kept with the PC use of browngrn for an upper texture to stay consistent while SNES seems to entirely use brown1 instead of any browngrn.  Recreated as exactly as I could trying to imitate texture alignment down to the pixel, which is quite difficult due to severe distortion in the SNES version's rendering.   You have to move around getting a moving view aside from finding good vantage points.  I think I got the geometry spot on but I can't tell if I got vertices or things really to the exact coordinates.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/fsvfb8h64wvozym/snese2m2.wad/file

Then there's the various Doom64 ports/recreations on PC.   Again much by Kaiser.  Taking stuff he already did in console Doom further.

Edited by Gokuma

I'm always posting in the wrong console threads!!    But you're welcome!   Now I see this pertains specifically to executable or engine ports going console to PC or PC to console.

Something I find interesting is that SNES and only Doom 2 for GBA are different engines made to imitate Doom or Doom 2.   SNES has cylindrical collision while I think the GBA Doom 2 checks actor heights and allows them to pass over each other.

1 minute ago, Gokuma said:

Something I find interesting is that SNES and only Doom 2 for GBA are different engines made to imitate Doom or Doom 2.   SNES has cylindrical collision while I think the GBA Doom 2 checks actor heights and allows them to pass over each other.

I've always been fascinated with the SNES port, because even with the inferior graphics, it's actually pretty impressive that it was initially programmed by a sole man with somewhat extensive hacks, before further polishing by the help of Sculptured Software.

So far, two people have attempted to hack it and make new stuff for it, but both are also inactive as of now.

As for GBA DOOM II, well, not so much, because even when I only sticked on console/handheld emulation for DOOMing, that just happened to be my least favorite.

Oh yeah, that's crazy that SNES Doom supports the Super Scope (as well as the XBand modem while it was operational).   It's puzzling me how a light gun works with Doom.   I unfortunately have never got the Super Scope.  I do have the SNES mouse I can test with it.   At least as far as regular gamepad control goes, it's unfortunate that while it's one of the few console versions with separate left and right strafe, you couldn't strafe and turn at the same time.   Also the automap spins instead of the arrow representing you spinning, utilizing the Super FX chip, so that's pretty nifty.

5 hours ago, InDOOMnesia said:

I've always been fascinated with the SNES port, because even with the inferior graphics, it's actually pretty impressive that it was initially programmed by a sole man with somewhat extensive hacks, before further polishing by the help of Sculptured Software.

The development was challenging for a few reasons, notably there were no development systems for the SuperFX chip at the time. I wrote a complete set of tools — assembler, linker and debugger — before I could even start on the game itself.

The development hardware was a hacked-up StarFox cartridge (because it included the SuperFX chip) and a modified pair of game controllers that were plugged into both SNES ports and connected to the Amiga’s parallel port. A serial protocol was used to communicate between the two for downloading code, setting breakpoints, inspecting memory, etc.

Oh, damn, he had to develop a dev toolchain first? :D

Also, took the time to implement some modem multiplayer that noone played ever ... but did not implement a password save system? Tsk tsk.

6 minutes ago, VGA said:

Oh, damn, he had to develop a dev toolchain first? :D

Well what can you and I say? I don't think he ever worked for something Nintendo-related before, so he made those SuperFX dev resources by himself.

Also,

11 minutes ago, VGA said:

Also, took the time to implement support for an oversized light gun device that too few cared about having ... but did not implement a password save system? Tsk tsk.

Fixed 😉

Either way, it's still amazing that the remaining space in the SNES DOOM cartridge is just roughly 16 bytes.

And to keep the topic aboard...

I feel like the SNES DOOM hacking attempts are like Doom alpha/Doom Bible-based mods (except for Doom Delta); DOOMed to never exactly come into fruition for the public to enjoy.

Heh.

Wow, it's been a long time since I last updated this!

Anyway, congratulations for the 0.1.1 release, @intacowetrust!

Also, who else is impatient for the release of SNES DOOM and its development toolkit (ACCESS) source codes?

4 hours ago, InDOOMnesia said:

Wow, it's been a long time since I last updated this!

Anyway, congratulations for the 0.1.1 release, @intacowetrust!

Also, who else is impatient for the release of SNES DOOM and its development toolkit (ACCESS) source codes?

Thanks @InDOOMnesia! I'm feeling pretty good about the project now, a lot of the biggest technical challenges are done and thanks to the reverse engineering work of @Erick194 (https://github.com/Erick194/PSXDOOM-RE) converting the rest of the application to run natively on PC should be relatively straightforward. Looking forward to capitalizing on this effort later on with mouse support, analog controls, high fps, modding, limit removal, and multiplayer over a LAN among other things...

Interestingly, PSX Final Doom had support for the Playstation Mouse! And both games support the Link cable.

Also, I'm thinking since PSX Doom targets 30 fps it may be easier to add 60, 90, 120 fps options without complicated interpolation. Or is that a naive way of thinking?

You should find a solution for the gravity bug, though. The blue key jump in "The Mansion" is a good test. I am playing on an emulator and had to strafe-run at the last moment. In a Youtube video I saw the player simply running forward and making the jump!

55 minutes ago, VGA said:

Also, I'm thinking since PSX Doom targets 30 fps it may be easier to add 60, 90, 120 fps options without complicated interpolation. Or is that a naive way of thinking?

Yeah I'd still have to do interpolation anyway in order to be able support refresh rates like 144 Hz or whatever the flavor of the month is for monitors. It's not very difficult to implement though, just a bit of extra book-keeping to keep track of previous positions and mixing between the two values. The easiest win would be to simply do it for the player position also - that could be implemented very quickly.

1 hour ago, VGA said:

You should find a solution for the gravity bug, though. The blue key jump in "The Mansion" is a good test. I am playing on an emulator and had to strafe-run at the last moment. In a Youtube video I saw the player simply running forward and making the jump!

Yeah it's bad, it was causing some issues for the GEC Master Edition mappers as well: 

I made a video exploring the difference in behavior between 15/30 Hz framerates here:

@jnmartin84 Apologies if this post bothers you, but I'd like to know what the release number of the new version is. Is it 1.01? 1.1? Or maybe even 2.0?

Edited by InDOOMnesia

No other updates for any other projects so far, but I would like to welcome @Chris194 of Team GEC!

Glad to know that all of the team are now in Doomworld.

1 minute ago, InDOOMnesia said:

No other updates for any other projects so far, but I would like to welcome @Chris194 of Team GEC!

Glad to know that all of the team are now in Doomworld.

Thanks, I'm glad to be here :) 

1 hour ago, Chris194 said:

Thanks, I'm glad to be here :) 

Finally a new name i can stalk regarding DZDoom ;) Welcome!