Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jdagenet

Galine - First single player map

I'm sorry you say this is your first map you thought was decent? Yeah, be sure of yourself man, sick map. I'm not much of one to write detailed reviews but man this was good fun, you got game play and aesthetics to a tee. Keep it up

Liiitle overkill on the intro. Almost no where to breathe and not really any way to hide either. Shame since the photos looked promising, but I kinda didn't expect to be given a huge armada of enemies within the first few seconds of map opening (And this was on HMP, not UV).

Outside of the annoying start I do like the visuals you've done here. Kinda looks like a fortress/castle in hell. Nice work! :)

Hmmmm.....I managed to get to 133 kills on UV before dying to the Revenants behind the blue door. Not sure why the SSG is given early on, but no ordinary shotgun. This caused me to use up quite a few more shells than might have been necessary. Getting that Berserk pack would have made this less of an issue, but haven't worked out how to do that yet. Interesting though, and very tough, I'll definitely be having another crack at this....

1 hour ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

Liiitle overkill on the intro. Almost no where to breathe and not really any way to hide either. Shame since the photos looked promising, but I kinda didn't expect to be given a huge armada of enemies within the first few seconds of map opening (And this was on HMP, not UV).

Outside of the annoying start I do like the visuals you've done here. Kinda looks like a fortress/castle in hell. Nice work! :)

Well I did want to make it difficult and have the player sort of plan stuff out. The best way I can probably describe how to approach it is don’t get in a hurry because yeah you can wake up up a whole heard of enemies in a hurry and screw yourself pretty fast. Thanks!

17 minutes ago, Summer Deep said:

Hmmmm.....I managed to get to 133 kills on UV before dying to the Revenants behind the blue door. Not sure why the SSG is given early on, but no ordinary shotgun. This caused me to use up quite a few more shells than might have been necessary. Getting that Berserk pack would have made this less of an issue, but haven't worked out how to do that yet. Interesting though, and very tough, I'll definitely be having another crack at this....

Shotgun is actually given right in the spawn room to your left (unless it’s not there for some reason?).

Yeah there’s a little hidden thing to lower the Berserk down. I put a visual cue to hopefully let the player know something was there. Shouldn’t be too hard to see I hope.

Completed this on UV on next attempt. Yes, I hadn't even visited that room with the shotgun on my previous playthrough. The second half of the map actually seemed considerably easier, and the only time I could have been in trouble was the area with the Hell Knights and the crushers, but the plasma gun saves the day here. Still never solved that Berserk Pack puzzle, LOL.

great stuff, really bringing that classic flavor, 4 dwangos out of 5. Played on UV, 100% kills but only 1 of the 5 secrets.

Super solid gameplay here. There's almost always attacks coming at you from the front as well as a window or ledge nearby, which keeps it engaging the whole way through. The difficulty and ammo balance in this was damn good, I always had enough ammo, but I never had an insane abundance (well, till I grabbed all the cells and the PR near the end). The sort of hot start where you have to duck off to the left past the zombies and grab the shotgun was a nice way to get the action started instantly.

Some might say that the ambushes are almost too choreographed - a small pedestal has a key or powerup on it, you grab it knowing full well that an ambush is coming. I actually like that though, it allows me to prepare rather than having damage instantly forced onto with no fair warning. Someone who is good with the rocket launcher will have a blast here, I know I did. Most areas give you just enough room to back up and lob some serious damage into groups of HKs/Revenants or whatever. There were a few times where I approached death, but for most of it there was more than sufficient health. Resources are just generally handed out in the right amounts in this map.

Visually, this really strikes a chord with me. It's all classic Doom/Doom2 resources and generally maintains that vanilla essence, but it's done in a very clean way, refined to the core of what makes the classic mapping style great (in my opinion).

I'd like to see an episode of maps in this style from you at some time in the future, if you ever feel inclined to make one. This was a very pure and enjoyable Dooming experience!

Sick map. Good gameplay. I did 100% kills on uv and I actually really like the opening. Only found 2 of the secrets. Was fun punching all the pinkies out with berserk. Really solid and cohesive texturing and architecture. Keep mapping fam.

For a first map, this looks fantastic, I really love the aesthetic.I'll give it a go when I get a chance.

Mark me down as another one for "great first map," though I think you made some DM maps before? Anyhow nice work. The ambushes were all pretty easy to run away from so you could fight from safety, I didn't mind but it was maybe easier than you were going for. Also I didn't find the start too hard but I did it in a way that was probably not intended, going to get the SSG right away and not shooting until I got back up the lift from that area.

Oh and I played in PrBoom+ with -complevel 9 and didn't encounter any problems.

This map was great. And I'm still pissed at myself for making the map 70% harder by missing the super shotgun at the start. I played the entire map with the single barrel shotgun.

beat this doom1 map with brutal doom naturally cuz vanilla doom is 2 easy hehheh

rating: 1993 called they want their barons of hell back/5

Spoiler

me being brutal

JCRWBCp.png

T1QfQt0.png

QQI5cTI.png

kqyidOz.png

brutal HMM HAHA

yyFEzJd.png

Took me 3 tries on UV, once I figured out how to get past the hectic start it wasn't that bad, and I didn't use any saves. It's an OK map, I don't think I'll play it again though. It was not unrelentingly difficult, but also not too easy, so that's good. The constant back and forth map traversing was kinda annoying, though. The corner at the beginning that drops you in front of a couple imps, into the room where you get the SSG, did give me that classic "oh crap" moment of a surprise trap my first playthrough.

I really love and hate this level. The start is pretty brutal and it really doesn't let up after that. Its still pretty great even with this high difficulty but I never had space to breath really. Atleast starting the player off in a safe spot before throwing them into the fire might be a bit better of a way to introduce the player into your level. I did record this and you can take a look at my playthrough here. Very nice level for a first level, might have been better with a bit more easing into the difficulty.

I'm really enjoying this map so far (on my 4th death).  Like another mentioned there's some stray/odd texturing here and there (one of the start windows has two flat types which I found odd) but the combat really shines through on HMP.   I would kill for a chaingun early on but that's just me not wanting to work for my supper.  Visuals are really good overall and the combat is superb so far; will play this over the weekend.  Impressive so far.

So I finished this today (100%/73%/40%) on HMP and it really is a great map overall.   Not a fan of the blue armor secret but was able to get it on the 6th try, so it's possible for us non-gods to reach it in time.   Really the only two negatives for me would be the blue armor secret and the windows with two flat types, which I just find odd.   Also  the first outdoor area could use one less tree on HMP to allow for easier movement.   Health and ammo were placed really well, your visuals and layout design was excellent and the fights were expertly staged.  I really enjoyed playing this and definitely will be on the lookout for anything else by you.