Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Baron Pampa

What happened to Prboom-plus?

There's one thing I'm curious about. Prboom+ seems to be used by many players, it's the standard for demos, and it defines the most standard map extension format. All of that despite not being maintained for years, if I get it right. Do I get it right? What happened? Why nobody picked up the development effort(I'm not aware of any big forks)?

Did it accumulate too much technical debt? I'd be grateful for either a write-up or some links which explain the history of this port.

So tl;dr:

Basically, Andrey seemingly ran out of steam after 2.5.1.5. Its SVN repo is still seeing some activity, but the focus has since shifted to Graf's UMAPINFO fork that has a much more visibly active development and new features, and some developers, such as fschulze, of the original PrBoom have expressed interest in making it the new canonical sequel of the port.

https://github.com/coelckers/prboom-plus

https://github.com/coelckers/prboom-plus/issues/41

With crispy and chocolate providing and extremely authentic experience and GZ/Zandronum providing the extended destinctly non-vanilla experience perhaps there's just less of a niche for it.

1 minute ago, Gradius said:

With crispy and chocolate providing and extremely authentic experience and GZ/Zandronum providing the extended destinctly non-vanilla experience perhaps there's just less of a niche for it.

Except PrBoom+ is the port of call for TAS and demo recordings.

2 hours ago, Gradius said:

PRBoom+ is still the only purist port that you can run at your native monitor resolution and play/record Boom-format demos.

There's not a whole lot needs changing really. It works pretty well as-is for its main intended purposes. After all, the Doom2 iwad hasn't been changed for a great many years, and is still used.

Note that the current version is 2.5.1.5.

The main download given on the 'Project Homepage' is 2.5.1.4. I had no idea 2.5.1.5 had a binary download.

In any case, as mentioned I have also moved to the UMAPINFO version by Graf

It's a fork of the port. Anyone can create a fork of a GPL port as long as they adhere to the license terms. That fork may either enhance the original aims of the port or take it in a totally different direction.

^^I'm glad it exists, because the other versions have turned into crash-o-matics on my machine.