Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
anton474

what bands from the 1990s and below do you think should have made the doom soundtrack

i like the metal sound track for doom classic and doom 2 but i wonder sometimes what the doom soundtrack would of sounded like if a band like alice in chains or nirvana made the soundtrack or parts of the soundtrack

Not 90s but I always thought danzig worked well for doom 1, since doom's ost was more based on thrash metal and doom 2's ost was more based on 90s grunge. 

Early Metallica could have nailed it in my opinion. E1M1 is pretty much based off No Remorse and they can do the calmer sound too when they want to.

3 hours ago, Nevander said:

Early Metallica could have nailed it in my opinion. E1M1 is pretty much based off No Remorse and they can do the calmer sound too when they want to.

Agreed.

Either the Metallica or the Slayer of the '90s would have been the perfect choice for composing Doom's soundtrack - and it's not like Bobby didn't rip them off in parts :p .

3 hours ago, Nevander said:

By that token, I suppose Alice in Chains would be a candidate. :) 

There was that Helmet album with 'Unsung', that kinda sounded like the E1M4 song, and iirc that whole album had that kind of boxy riffy goodness to it. 

I also think that Lark's Tongues/Starless/Red-era King Crimson would soundtrack a Doom campaign quite nicely.

Early Metallica and/or Grave digger could've been good choices since most of doom soundtrack is composed of Thrash riff/atmospheric songs. Both bands nail those (Tho grave digger is a Heavy Metal band)

For doom 2 I would choose Black sabbath because many songs in Doom 2 are rather sad, slow paced, atmospheric. (Countdown to death, DOOM, The demon's dead, Waiting for Romero to play) I would pick Pantera or Alice in Chains too for some of the groove, grunge songs.

I wanna hear Possessed on Doom 1 and Doom 2.

That extreme thrash/proto-death metal sound mixed with lyrics drenched in demonic subjects, slaughter, suicide and Satanism. It'd be a perfect fit. Kick that Satanic Panic into overdrive. Kick all those crybaby soccer moms and pastors in their respective ovaries/balls with a sheer deluge of teenage nihilism and edginess.

More Megadeth so I could listen to it instead of actual Megadeth and not feel bad.

"Running from Evil" is basically a Megadeth song in all but name anyway -- solo included.

2 hours ago, june gloom said:

More Megadeth so I could listen to it instead of actual Megadeth and not feel bad.

"Running from Evil" is basically a Megadeth song in all but name anyway -- solo included.

...Why do you feel bad when listening to Megadeth?

Def Leppard. Well one song specifically always made me think of Doom. The little known Desert Song. One of their few dark and moody songs...

Dark and dirty
Like you have never seen
A mind so twisted
With thoughts so unclean.
My heart is racing
All tattered and torn
I stand here naked
As the day I was born.

Over and over I stand
I'm holding the world in my hand
I got to believe

The sky is falling on this setting sun
Echoes of silence ringing loud and long
This isolation is the king of pain
A lost horizon in an ocean of flames

Kind of made me think of Doom guy taking a breather during a rare quiet moment during hell on earth and contemplating his situation.

John Carpenter or Al Jourgensen would have been interesting, but Bobby Prince knocked it out the park really - especially considering the midi limitations.

Classic metal/grunge from the early 90's: Countdown to Extinction era Megadeth, Black Album era Metallica, Pantera, the more riff-oriented grunge bands like AiC and Soundgarden, etc.

Would heavier stuff that was popular at the time, like Napalm Death or Morbid Angel have sounded good with the OPL synth from the Sound Blaster cards? I dunno.

This is really stretching it. I'm going to stick to the grey zone here and say that there must be an 80s Doom.

Edited by 80sDoom

The main song that I've heard that feels like a Doom track, isn't one and is probably from the right era is "Gun" by Soundgarden. The escalating tempo from the slow moody start would be a great MIDI.

5 hours ago, Maximum Matt said:

Lol

WHYDYOULEAVETHEKEYCARDONTHETABLE (YOU WANTED TO)

B.Y.O.B.F.G 

I would say Rammstein but they popped into existence too late into the 90's to do the Doom soundtrack

On 2/29/2020 at 4:31 PM, Eurisko said:

System Of A Down.

Those dudes make some mad different quirky metal. 

Did they even exist then?

On 3/3/2020 at 2:22 PM, doomsucksass said:

Did they even exist then?

SoaD was formed in 1994 and made demo tapes until they released their first proper album in 1998. They might've just made it in time for Doom 2, but I doubt they were well-known at the time.

That said, I reckon their harder stuff wouldn't feel too out of place in midi form in a Doom game.