Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ZeMystic

Things in Modern Games that you DO like.

Hey this is easily 100% been done before in a forum site from 1998. But what are things you do like in Modern Gaming?

I am huge ass zoomertm, and was raised on certain games in the modern era.

Halo, Call of Duty, Rainbow Six, Etc.

- I love the movement mechanics, like sliding or climbing up walls.

- I also love the Call of Duty style controls, like ADS or sprinting.

- I also have the ape brain need to customize my character. I am honestly embarrassed to say how much money I've spent on Warframe cosmetics.

- I also love cover shooting.

- The ridiculous amount of time it takes to learn spray patterns and map knowledge i.e. CSGO

Edited by ZeMystic

One thing I will say: Enemy behavior has definitely improved and has become more varied on modern games. In Doom, enemies simply wander around aimlessly and only occasionally throw a straight line projectile at the player. Now it's much more varied. They crawl on the walls (newer imps), or run away and cower (grunts from Halo), or take cover behind objects.

The experience getting streamlined and levels getting more linear and less confusing are probably some of the better things to happen IMO.

More advanced physics and AI are a few other niceties too.

40 minutes ago, ZeMystic said:

- I love the movement mechanics, like sliding or climbing up walls.

Same, I loved Zipping through levels in Warframe, Bullet Jumping was so satisfying.

E: I also like the fact that games are often supported post-launch with community events and updates, even though this is not exactly something new or modern but it seems more relevant than it used to be.

Edited by sluggard

Auto saving and checkpoints. I find that they're competently implemented most of the time, and it's a really good thing for scatterbrained people like me who often forget to save.

Good movement and real stuff on driving and third person games.

Matrix style of games with ADS and gun-fu movments

Edited by jamondemarnatural

1 hour ago, The Maverick013 said:

Saving.

*Cries in Contra*

You could play it in an emulator like Mesen ;) .

49 minutes ago, HorrorMovieGuy said:

Auto saving and checkpoints. I find that they're competently implemented most of the time, and it's a really good thing for scatterbrained people like me who often forget to save.

Here you go

It's the modern controls, the evolved interfaces and smarter game mechanics that I really like in modern games.

If all my old favourite games were updated in such a way I would play them much more often. Sadly I can't play games like Syndicate Wars 2 thanks to being very flawed in those departments.

Control schemes for sure. A lot of 3D games from the 90's, and even some from the early/mid 00's, are a bit clunky to control. Granted, some can be reconfigured to ease things up, but modern games for the most part are a lot smoother and easier to pick up and play.

Though while I'm here...suppose my picks would be: 

1) Graphics, obviously. 

2) Responsiveness of the environments in some cases. 

3) Setting up a multiplayer game is generally much easier than it used to be. 

4) Patches and support. On the one hand, games are released in more rough states these days. ON the other hand, patching occurs pretty frequently, which is good. 

5) Hey, first person melee combat doesn't suck!

how the movement feels like it has a sense of weight to it and it doesnt feel like you're just controlling floating hands on a skateboard.

29 minutes ago, Taurus Daggerknight said:

5) Hey, first person melee combat doesn't suck!

and also this.

For me the best thing about modern games is the visuals. Most recent game I've played is Death Stranding, and the visuals in that are amazing. Physics are pretty impressive too in DS.

Also, the fact that most people are online now and connections are super fast, and you can play and interact with people from all over the world. Being able to speak to people in real-time using things like Discord, TeamSpeak, etc, is also great. The connection is clear and has very little to no lag. It wasn't really that long ago that talking to someone from another side of the world would have costed you a fortune!

Huge worlds with beautiful graphics. May not necessarily be high fidelity, but with the right mods even games like Minecraft can provide some pretty cool views as well as endless dungeons to explore.

Massive libraries of player-made mods. Wanna build a warp-capable rocket of your own design? Kerbal Space Program with mods will see you right.

Physics engines. Destroying things has never been so good.

Game design as an art has evolved to a point where even complex games are fairly intuitive and establish a visual language that the player can learn and understand. Indie titles are also more prevalent in modern times, giving us more personal experiences like Undertale, The Binding of Isaac, and N++ (if you haven't played that last one, give it a shot, its a simplistic, but amazing platformer).

1 hour ago, NoXion said:

Physics engines. Destroying things has never been so good.

Telekinetic powers are also fun, I wish more of the bigger games had those.

E: Visuals are an obvious choice, made countless screenshots for nearly every single game I played through, I also like it when they take old games and re-imagine them like RE2 remake, or give them an HD treatment like Crash Bandicoot.

Edited by sluggard

All the stuff surrounding gaming is easier these days. Finding other people to play with online, finding good mods to download, finding gameplay footage so I don’t have to just hope a game is good before I buy or download it.. Stuff that used to take hours of effort now takes minutes! Don’t even get me started on how much easier Doom modding is in the modern era.. Even though it’s an old game, the modern tools are just so streamlined now.

The rise of PlayStation/Xbox-like controllers and control schemes has been a big plus too, I must say. I don’t know how anyone ever played any FPS on a console before the invention of the 360. 90’s controllers were clearly designed for Mario Bros and Street Fighter, and it really showed in how disgusting they were to use for an FPS. I don’t know how anyone did it. PC players still have a bit of a control advantage of course, but back in the day, the PC player was up to e1m3 by the time the console player managed to line himself up with the first stairway on e1m1.. So glad it’s not like that anymore.

Oh, I guess modern graphics are okay too.

5 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

I don’t know how anyone ever played any FPS on a console before the invention of the 360.

Goldeneye 007 was pretty great. It sometimes felt like the N64 controller was designed exclusively for that game.

Doom was okay on PlayStation and N64 with their respective controllers. I especially like Doom 64 as you can turn left & right with either the Dpad which is slower, or with the C stick, which is much faster and necessary at times. Applying speed in Doom 64 doesn't affect your turn speed. PlayStation Doom is also pretty easy to play as you can completely configure the buttons to any layout you want, but I do prefer a keyboard.

I do think that the Xbox 360 controller is really nice, especially for 1st & 3rd person shooters. I initially find it difficult to go back to older games on console due to how much I am used to the 360 controller, but I can adjust eventually.

IMO, strategy games are where the power of modern computers really shines.  For instance, I'm sure fans of each can argue until the cows come home about the minutiae of their respective rulebooks and which they like better, but you can't deny that Stellaris can simulate so much more than the Master of Orions of my day thanks to the increased computing power.