Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nelguy

Duke it Out on GZDoom?

I was wondering if there is any fan-made version of Duke it Out for GZDoom, and if there isn't, How could I do it by myself? I'm pretty sure it doesn't work on something like SLADE.

Well, Slade can open groupfiles, so it's a start. There's probably also a Duke to Doom map converter floating around somewhere. Then there's still the .art tiles to be converted. Good thing about DukeDC is that it didn't have any big custom code like Vacation, so that makes things easier. I don't think anyone has done this already, though. There is a Vacation conversion for Doom with the first 2-3 levels, though.

Man, a proper Duke conversion in GZDoom would be awesome.  I never played Duke it Out I'm Doom because it required a specific sourceport I am not familiar with, but if someone converted it to GZD that would be awesome.

Well, if it's done for Edge, maybe it can be converted for GZDoom. I never tried doing such a thing, so I can't tell how hard it is. But apparently all Duke3D assets are converted to Doom, so a certain part of the work has been done.

48 minutes ago, guitardz said:

Man, a proper Duke conversion in GZDoom would be awesome.  I never played Duke it Out I'm Doom because it required a specific sourceport I am not familiar with, but if someone converted it to GZD that would be awesome.

Why not play the original instead?

Build games on the Doom engine will always be a bit underwhelming due to the lack of movable sectors.

5 minutes ago, Graf Zahl said:

Why not play the original instead?

Build games on the Doom engine will always be a bit underwhelming due to the lack of movable sectors.

I have it set up to play on Eduke32, but am considering setting up Raze since it will play Blood as well.  But I just think it would be interesting to try it on GZDoom as well.

31 minutes ago, NoahRules said:

Is there any reason why its Edge exclusive? 

No other reason than making the engine not redundant

48 minutes ago, DoodGuy said:

No other reason than making the engine not redundant

Or maybe because the author preferred EDGE for its feature set? EDGE is a significantly different source port by design and does quite a few things differently than the common ports. As is usual with all things different, it isn't that popular, but the advantage of it is that the good stuff for it is quite manageable to find.

In this case, Duke It Out In Doom is done by @CeeJay - One of the most experienced EDGE authors.

Way to be needlessly smug and bitter about a proper piece of work just because it does not run on your port of choice. :/

Well, no conversion will be able to do the original full justice. Besides, DukeDC isn't even the best of the commercial Duke3D addons. It's fine to play it in EDuke32/Rednukem/Raze, that's where it belongs. No need to convert everything.

I wouldn't have fun playing that, I'm afraid. It just looks horrible with this bad texturing. Like one of those cheap shovelware releases back in the days.