Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GoneAway

The Next Iteration of DSDA

@Dimon12321 it means that it was a coop demo with x amount of players running it. Generally coop demos are a little quicker than single player demos because of players damage boosting each other or wall running off of each other.

- search is now case-insensitive

- table views for nomo & nm speed now crosslist nomo100 & nm100 if the time is faster

- "other movie" doesn't track "records" anymore

Discrepancy report #1 :)

Eulogy 8: Albert Valls' demo misses one monster.

Mars War: (marswar.wad): MAP21, Method's UV Speed is 2:53.09, one second faster than the filename indication

There will be another post once I check the maps to which I recorded demos; this is long overdue...

There might be a problem with the demo of TNT UV Respawn category by Method: https://dsdarchive.com/wads/tnt/leaderboard?category=UV+Respawn&level=Map+06
The demo is out of sync when playing it back on glboom+ using -complevel 4.
Instead of finishing the level in 2:54, the player dies and respawns multiple times while shooting at the walls a lot.

However, I tried playing it back with -complevel 3, and the demo is correctly in sync. But that's the wrong complevel for final doom (right?)

Have you tried running it in complevel 2, using doom2 as an iwad with TNT as a pwad? Not sure that's the case here but lots of final doom demos were run like that and it's considered fine.

Well, with "-iwad DOOM2.WAD -pwad TNT.WAD -complevel 2" it just loads Doom2's MAP06 (The Crusher), so it doesn't work.
But I tried them all:
- with "-iwad TNT.WAD -complevel 1/2/3/5" it works.
- with "-iwad TNT.WAD -complevel 0/4/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/17" or no complevel at all, it's out of sync.

I'd like to clarify the archive naming convention. Have I named my archive right? 

Does it matter how I put category letters? Like "xm" or "mx" (UV-Max TAS). I know sometimes it's convenient to put just "x" for both UV-Speed and UV-Max TASes, but I wish the archive name would be more precise. And the map was finished in 34 seconds. Should I put "034" instead of "34"?

702 demos uploaded.

If you find a mistake or find a demo missing, then please just message us on discord if you are already there, if you are not on discord then post here as usual. There is absolutely no need to make a post here if it does not contribute to any discussion when we can more easily be reached elsewhere.

READ: TAS and cheating

Reasons for missing demos:
The demos were posted after I downloaded the last batch.
They were missed by accident.
No txt file.
Txt file exists but it doesn't contain any information about the demo itself.
Redundant categories (for example a UV-Speed and NoMo on a map without monsters).
You recorded a faster demo and I skipped the slower one.
Or the demo was cheated.

edit: we're aware of some incorrect categories, missing nomo demos from the last page of the nomo thread as well as missing demos from wednesday in the beat demos month thread.

Edited by ZeroMaster010

On 2/23/2020 at 9:05 AM, ZeroMaster010 said:

read here: https://www.doomworld.com/forum/post/2050460
x is last, 034 instead of 34.

I know this whole thread is on the top, but I still hope they can pick this one out and stick it to the top or at least have karflab edit this into the top post. To me, naming Speed and Max the same way in the older fashion does bother me a bit, and the "m" used to distinguish Speed and Max is very good (although I kind of understand it's difficult to break the habit or tradition). Everybody should read this and name the demos in a consist manner in order to reduce the unnecessary work from the DSDA staff.

Also... I'm well aware of that people don't like to read stuff before doing things.

An idea to help improve DSDA in the future:

- Showing the "date" for each demo in the default view, and the leaderboards

Interesting ways that this information can be used:
 - Finding very old demos of records that people haven't beaten in years
 - Looking at a leaderboard and seeing the progression of a record over time (skipping in-between demo submissions that didn't break the top record at that time)

- Seeing how far in time each new record is separated (very close-by demos with big gaps in between could mean that a new strategy was discovered)
 - etc.

This "date" can already be seen in he feed section of the site, where you can sort by "upload date" or "record date". There are very old demos whose dates go all the way back to 1995. Very few of them have "date=Unknown": 480 demos, to be exact. That's less than 1% of all demos that DSDA holds. Seeing an occasional "Unknown" here and there is not a problem, if all other 99% of demos would have their correct dates showing.

Just a suggestion; what do you people think?

Most of what you're talking about is already on the site.

When there are enough demos for it to be interesting, a stats icon shows next to the category in the table, and if you click it it shows a timeline of the record.

E.g., https://dsdarchive.com/record_timeline?category=UV+Speed&id=doom2&level=D2All

I think the js for this is broken on firefox right now and I haven't bothered fixing it yet, so here's a screenshot if you can't see it:

Screenshot from 2020-03-04 19-11-37.png

Oops, I never saw that graph before. The "stats icon" you refer to (three blue bars, right?) - I didn't know it was clickable. My bad. The only link that I saw before was "stats", but that just shows just the total number of demos submitted per year.

Well, in that case, my suggestion of showing the date in a new column next to each demo just makes it easier to see how old a particular demo is. I'd still find that useful.

Date definitely won't be in the default view, but it will be accessible somewhere at some point. I don't want the regular table to be too bloated and I don't want guesses either - it's important to display the facts there I think (obviously there are errors but we're working on that). All the dates are estimated or outright guessed based on different heuristics. "Same day" demos are generally out of order because zip files drop time zone info, which also breaks some timelines for fast record trades.

i have only just noticed this, as i thought all this time that the record timeline was more of a "coming soon!" type of thing, but no dots appear on the graph when using firefox

for reference, this is what it looks like on firefox

timeline broke.PNG

What happened to FDA category? It's when a demo doesn't match any of speed categories and is just a first playthrough.

"And is just a first playthrough" which makes it not a speed demo. The archive is specifically for speed demos and doesn't just host every demo ever recorded.

Maybe this was mentioned already, but I didn't see.  Scythe map01 and map02 only have tyson weapons available, but the tyson tables don't consider max demos. As a result, map01 has no entry and map02 has a slower entry which was submitted as tyson.

Hm, any idea what the standard is (not scythe specifically, I mean in the archive in general)? Do we usually put everything in max or in tyson? I'd probably lean on max, but maybe that's not the case.