Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Boomslang

God damn i hate playing this game with a controller

played the switch version of D2016 with a single detached joycon on my friend's Switch, that's a good definition of torture. 

got Doom Classic + Doom 3 for my own Switch Lite but man I keep correcting myself and resulted in misses.

Still completed Doom 3 anyway.

Wait till you get more funds then buy an nivida gtx 1080 or 2070, slap that shit into your computer and you're just fine also don't forget the badass cpu's or the gpu's.

The reason why playing FPS on the gamepad is worse than on the keyboard+mouse is simple. 
When you turn on the light, you touch the switch with your hand, when you open the door, you insert the key into the keyhole with your hand.  You do a lot of actions in everyday life with your hand and they are very accurate, as if given by nature.  Therefore, to control the mouse is as easy as all other actions.  But when you take the gamepad, you press the right stick with your thumb, and this finger, unlike the hand, is used much less often in everyday life, so you need to train a lot to learn how to play FPS on consoles.

Accuracy and turn speed are the two main things I notice when playing a first person shooter on a console compared to PC. I enjoy slower games like Elder Scrolls or Fallout with a controller but for something faster like Doom 2016 I much prefer a keyboard and a mouse. Even something like GTAV is easier to play on PC.

okay i got used to it. i'm not as angry now.

strangely i'm better on the switch than on the ps4.

for some reason my joycons keep disconnecting.

4 hours ago, Boomslang said:

Are they charged?

4 hours ago, Boomslang said:

Have you updated their firmware?

On 2/28/2020 at 4:21 PM, Edward850 said:

Have you updated their firmware?

yeah they are

On 2/28/2020 at 4:20 PM, Skootroot said:

Are they charged?

always and always!

I played through the whole thing on ps4 and had no trouble with the controls.
To be fair most of the games i have involve aiming in some way so perhaps i'm more used to it.

On 2/29/2020 at 5:22 PM, Boomslang said:

yeah they are

always and always!

that happens to me sometimes while playing BoTW, I think you just tap R and L then it reconnects or just press any button maybe

FPS are mouse only, even the ones who are released on consoles. I made the mistake of playing Ori and the Blind Forest with the keyboard, to put an example of playing something the way is not intended to be played. It was a torture, awful controls.

I've only been able to play Doom 2016 on my PS4 and it handles perfectly fine for me. It just a matter of time and experimenting with the options.

The most I can say is to play more shooters on console and get used to it and play around with the setting in doom I turned the smoothing down to 10 and seem to be fine

2 hours ago, Plasi Garbo said:

The most I can say is to play more shooters on console and get used to it and play around with the setting in doom I turned the smoothing down to 10 and seem to be fine

Turning the "Smoothing" down in Doom 2016 really helped me. It seems to make it more of a "raw" input then, when it's down or off i mean. I'm sure it'll help in Doom Eternal as well.

On 2/17/2020 at 10:22 PM, Boomslang said:

I move around like a dumbass and it takes FUCKING ages for me to aim properly, how can anyone play this game?

i'm very salty right now, and playing this on a controller isn't really good.

the fast paced action combined with the slow turning really makes this a terrible experience.

its not that bad once you get used to it

On 2/28/2020 at 11:29 AM, Boomslang said:

okay i got used to it. i'm not as angry now.

strangely i'm better on the switch than on the ps4.

just use a pro controller

23 hours ago, Mr.Rocket said:

IMO, any 3d shooter is to be played on the PC only with mouse and keyboard..

And you and anyone else who has that opinion can shove it straight up your ass.

And I'm as blunt as that about it because I played M&KB for a while back when I first started gaming on a PC, maybe for a couple of years roughly before using WASD movement started causing me a great amount of pain in my hand. Now this was years before I started having chronic pain in both my hands, caused by repetitive strain syndrome. Mouse aiming is fine but I'd say the keyboard is a terrible, terrible thing to try to play a game on and my reason is it became genuinely painful. I have to conclude its a very violent way to treat your hands. 

But that's not the reason for my hate. My hate comes from dealing with the usual shit you get whenever you go onto any forum for any game on the PC just about, although its really more relevant to older games at this point, to ask "How could I go about setting X up to play with a controller." So many elitists come out the woodwork every time that at some point the only reason they didn't start exploding is because I don't have the telekinetic powers to make that happen, the will was there though, trust me on that :P

To the OP, you just need to take the time to get used to it and play on a lower difficulty if necessary. Also, try and practice good ergonomics whenever possible. 

Eh, I can switch between controller and KB+M for an FPS with no issues. Back in the day I would sometimes play DOOM II with a Gravis Gamepad, or even a Microsoft Sidewinder. I guess I'm quick to adapt.

Controllers get easier when you become used to them after a while but I haven't really played an FPS using one since like the days of the PS2 and I assume controllers have gotten easier to use since then with better technology, design, and even aim assist.

On 4/6/2020 at 3:54 PM, hybridial said:

I'd say the keyboard is a terrible, terrible thing to try to play a game on and my reason is it became genuinely painful. I have to conclude its a very violent way to treat your hands

It depends on your set up. I have a large table I use for PC gaming so my forearms are resting on that as I use my left hand for the keyboard and my right hand with the mouse. It's very comfortable for me as I had lots of space. Some people use a small table or cabinet or whatever for their PC and depending on how you're sitting you could be putting strain on your wrists and arms.

20200407_011940.jpg

On 4/6/2020 at 10:54 AM, hybridial said:

And you and anyone else who has that opinion can shove it straight up your ass.

lol sorry for having an opinion.. :\

All good man, I completely understand. 

@Boaby Kenobi, nice mouse pad :P