Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BlurMarsh

Chemical Takeover - A small level for Doom 2

My first wad, a single small and quick level themed around a chemical plant.

• Built with Doom Builder 2 and tested with Gzdoom 4.2.4
  • It wasn't made with jumping, crouching or freelook in mind but it shouldn't affect gameplay
  • There's no difficulties implemented but it was tested on Hurt Me Plenty and Ultra Violence, and I think it's not more difficult than an early level in Doom's first episode
  • Can be finished in about a minute

Many thanks to my friend Victor for testing and giving feedback!

Download: ctakeover.rar

Screenshots: Screenshot_Doom_20200301_180223.png.a6b9784aecaf7f404e2208e7b1ef105d.pngScreenshot_Doom_20200301_180323.png.dfc61ee4246f7a9536be252928932420.pngScreenshot_Doom_20200301_180344.png.0ab4118d36594a1642305a7d36aba33f.png

Feedback and advice is welcomed!

Edited by SmoothSpook

Hey there!

Your map works fine with glboom-plus, so I recorded a demo.

dac_ctakeover01.zip

Now for the critiques. I was following your progress on twitter, so I know it's a first map made in barely a week thus I'll try to not be too mean :p

a) The entire blue key fight can be skipped if you're fast enough. Hell, it can be skipped even if you're not fast enough - nothing is stopping the player from using the door and running away in the middle of the fight.

b) The map is rather... flat and straightforward. There is a set of stairs, monsters comes from the sides in the blue key fight, but otherwise enemies are on the same ground level as you are and attacks from the front. Try playing around with different room elevations and hiding monsters in your next map, it makes them that much more interesting.

c) As you said, this is a very short, very easy map. Not exactly the most memorable creation.

This all sounds harsh, but as one cartoon dog once said, sucking at something is the first step to becoming good at something. You've released a map for Doom, one that can be completed from start to finish, and no matter what, that makes you a mapper. Congratulations!

(Now go on, write all the critiques somewhere for when you create a second map, and a third, and so on.)

8 minutes ago, dac said:

Hey there!

Your map works fine with glboom-plus, so I recorded a demo.

dac_ctakeover01.zip

Now for the critiques. I was following your progress on twitter, so I know it's a first map made in barely a week thus I'll try to not be too mean :p

a) The entire blue key fight can be skipped if you're fast enough. Hell, it can be skipped even if you're not fast enough - nothing is stopping the player from using the door and running away in the middle of the fight.

b) The map is rather... flat and straightforward. There is a set of stairs, monsters comes from the sides in the blue key fight, but otherwise enemies are on the same ground level as you are and attacks from the front. Try playing around with different room elevations and hiding monsters in your next map, it makes them that much more interesting.

c) As you said, this is a very short, very easy map. Not exactly the most memorable creation.

This all sounds harsh, but as one cartoon dog once said, sucking at something is the first step to becoming good at something. You've released a map for Doom, one that can be completed from start to finish, and no matter what, that makes you a mapper. Congratulations!

(Now go on, write all the critiques somewhere for when you create a second map, and a third, and so on.)

Thank you a lot! It is harsh but very fair, I limited myself too much in trying to maek it look like an "actual" facility that I ended up making a very bland layout... I'll try to play around more with it next time! I should play more wads to get an idea of how to, I remember liking UAC Ultra a lot so that could be a good place to take notes on

But I'm curious tho, what would be some good ways of preventing the player from simply escaping a room full of monsters if they're quick enough? Maybe doors that won't open until enemies are dead (I think some ID maps had stuff like that?) or rooms big enough that it's impossible to just rush to the door?

I'm certain mappers with more experience have better ideas than I do regarding not letting players skip fights, so I'll just link Ribbiks. The post in question is more about slaughter mapping, but there are a few bits about letting a player escape a fight that I feel should be of note for ya:

Short and snappy in it's design. I like that. :)

The map does have a tutti-frutti error on the first door you see when you start the map as well as the grates near the end clip through the floor (that being a vanilla limitation though).

Honestly I can't find much to complain about here. Difficulty is on the easy side, even for me (And I usually play games on easy). The tech design of the map is rather cool. :)