Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NaZa

The DWIronman League dies to: Baker's Dozen

To turn the tides and go first (!) this month...

sh.png.9a03a0597a089d4667c40292e3de7994.png

Dead on MAP07, category 2. Evaded death two or three times on MAP06 and 07. catching a cyberdemon's rocket two times, each time hanging on with around 30 HP... but then, cue a comedy of errors and bad BFG usage. And I would've gotten away with it, too, had I actually hit the archvile with the BFG shot. Why did the archvile learn how to use the elevator? I presume this is the sole reason. That final room is a big run-ender, I Thought, but it really isn't if you know what you're doing; something I didn't.

dwironman_mar20_naza.zip

Edited by NaZa

Cat 2, dead at map 09.

demo

Having played this once last year, I had recollection of the majority that came later, and I really wanted to get further to the last map. Amusingly the stuff I forgot was every existing caco/PEs ambush and also the vile turrets in map 07, like at which point of the map they'd stop regenerating themselves but like the many Eternal-isms you may have to kill respawning turrets one by one. So there was a close call there. You'll also see me immobile in a corner holding the chainsaw for several minutes in map 05 I think, that's because I went to eat, sorry about that. Finally, I died to one of those caco clouds that I very smartly ignored for very non-smart reasons, I simply couldn't move forwards or backwards or to the sides, and I was doing so good by then, though super careful thanks to continuous. Switching from SSG to BFG ate so much valuable time too :(

Well, I didn't expect this to go so bad, but there you have it, a MAP01 death. Sure shows I've not touched Doom for over a month.

This clearly looks like Eternal's doing considering the complexity and length of the maps, and for that reason I actually have no problem with dying at the very end of MAP01 this time. It already clocked at 21 minutes IGT, I was never going to spend more than one hour anyway *shrugs*.

Uh, some changes this time though. As a note, I recorded this demo with a self compiled build of Graf's PrBoom fork from today's master, but it should play back just fine in 2.5.1.7, maybe even 2.5.1.5 since PrBoom aims to preserve compatibility between its own versions. And it's really time to move on from 2.5.1.5 anyway, it's dead, accept it.

seedbd.zip

Ohh dear... if you can't tell already, I'm very much used to gzdoom, not prboom-plus. Dead on MAP01. Hey guess what? Infinite height is a thing. Thank you 50-foot-tall Imps, for nipping at my legs from the depths below and causing me to swan dive into a hellish mess that I thought I'd left behind me. Lesson learned. I loved what I saw, though. Nice level design and aesthetics, and an interesting custom roster. Might have to check the rest of this out sometime. 

RJD_bakers.zip (Category 1, 202 kills I think it was)

@Pegleg Once again, good sir, I vie for your notorious place at the bottom. Your move!!!

(Oh and... we don't need to talk about my attempts at getting that rocket box in the red key room @NaZa).

Edited by RonnieJamesDiner

Survived in 3:24:29

Category 1

DEMO

Sorry , I must go to sleep so I can't write a detailed review right now. Anyways , it was a good mystic-themed mapset. Not really hard but with some dangerous moments.

It was a good choice for this month. :)

Category 1

Died on MAP 02

Time 33:40ish

Monsters 72/250

Probably should have died from all the imps in MAP 01, but miraculously survived, only to line myself neatly up in arch vile's range in the next map...I mean seriously that one was so harshly placed lol.

0_ironman_horus.zip

Edited by Horus

4 hours ago, Roofi said:

Survived in 3:24:29

Sounds like it's a long one.  I look forward to playing this, but will probably save it 'til next weekend.

2 hours ago, NoisyVelvet said:

Sounds like it's a long one.  I look forward to playing this, but will probably save it 'til next weekend.

Same. 

10 hours ago, RonnieJamesDiner said:

(Oh and... we don't need to talk about my attempts at getting that rocket box in the red key room @NaZa).

Oh yea, speaking of which, it took me like what, 5 or 6 times to land on it I think? I'm good at estimating distance :v.

So I see surviving this would take almost 4 hours, wow. There's no way I was ever going to stay focused dueing the recording for such a long time, so I still stand by what I said above, at most it would have been 2, MAYBE 3 maps survived, and nothing more.

BTW since you're not used to PrBoom, I figured I would casually drop in and mention this if you're not aware already - if you want to use VSync here cap the framerate, with uncapped the input lag is unbearable. I also recommend using -longtics for vanilla and limit-removing wads, to circumvent the vanilla limitation of decreased mouse precision when recording :).

15 hours ago, NoisyVelvet said:

I played pretty slowly. I think a fast (and skilled) player can beat it in 2 hours or even less on category 1.

Category 1 demo. Survived in 3:00:58. I've wasted some time in maps 10 and 13 and I'm not even sure how much time I've saved or lost doing the glide instead of doing whatever intended route was on map09.

Well I decided to try it out.

Demo: BDdemo.zip (Category 2, but only because I remembered watching some of the levels somewhere)

Used: Glboom+ 2.5.1.7um (complevel 2)

Dead in: Map 9 (reached at roughly around 1:10:00 mark)

I was going really well...

...until I met a cyberdemon rocket and soon a blast from an archvile.

Category 1, survived in 3:05:23. Okay mapset. Some great ones, and some ones I hated. So many times I thought I was gonna die. Some areas had me scared shitless. Would have been quicker if not for getting lost in the final map.

bdironarbys.zip

Category 1, dead on map 07, chewed up by chaingunners and a cacodemon.

I think my own worst enemy was myself heh, a lot of self rocket damage, and one or two point blank dime rockets 😏. honestly surprised how fast i died, at the time i thought i was doing pretty fine on health and armor, but looking back i wasn't doing too hot lol.

I even used map markers at one point to remember where an extra armor was!

keaton_bakers-dozen_ironman.zip

Apologies for no leaderboard yet, it's been a rougher-than-usual few days on my end. It'll be updated in about 10 hours. 

Category 1, died at map 05. By the combination of picking up a red key and getting cornered by an revenant, an archvile and an resurrected chaingunner. I knew it was a trap...

bd_xan.7z

Category 1.

Spoiler

Died on map 13 due to some snipers, after more than 3 hours of playing.

Baker's Dozen is an eclectic compilation of levels showcasing various styles from Eternal (the author) : from Eternal (the wad) tributes to egyptian levels straight out of Epic 2, there's something for the whole family here.

Eternal delivered some great maps in there, such as the "Misri Halek" / "Cyberden" crossover, but sadly there's also a couple duds that ruined the whole thing for me.
Map 10's ending sucks, plain and simple. Its bunch of unreachable Arch-Viles up above a set of stairs offer nothing but massive frustration.
Then you have map 13, with its faraway snipers that you just can't see until they've taken some chunk of your health. I never want to touch that map again. Still, for a speedmap, it definitely is pretty impressive.

Overall, Hell Ground remains my favorite from the Russian mapmaking machine.
I wonder where he is now...

bd-Ironman-wh.zip

Nailed it to the middle of MAP07 where the pair of Archers nailed me under the Pale Moon lol.

~1h5m, 77 of 133 buddies already were on a vacation to that moment.

Full blind except for MAP02 as I randomly saw an UV-Max of it about a month ago, so Cat. 2 I believe.

dwibd.zip

23 hours ago, WH-Wilou84 said:

I wonder where he is now...

I miss his works too, but doesn't seem he's planning to come back.

First submission for ironman;

Cat 1, died on map 10. Additionally first time playing on a non-gzdoom engine, so I'm not entirely sure if my settings were correct.

Used glboom+ 2.5.1.7 with -complevel 2 and -longtics to correct some mouse movement issues I was having.

I'm also unsure of how to grab the length of the demo file without timing it by hand.

bd_ironman_daerik.zip

Mapset felt like it had an over reliance on cyberdemons for any actual difficulty, and there weren't a lot of particularly interesting encounters up to where I died.

Category 1 Survived in 2:44:46 - Generally I've been trying to get these Ironman's done early in the month and well kept putting this one off cause I figured it would be a long one.. which it was.. Last few maps really made the wad drag on and some ?????? progression moments in the final map..I also took forever to do a glide, might of been faster to do the actual map cause yeah it was that slow. Anyway overall the wad was pretty good. 

DWironman-bd-dubz.zip

I finally managed to find the time to play this month's selection ... in the final two days of the month. I'm quite glad March has 31 days instead of 30.

Here it is: dwi_pegleg_bakersdozen.zip

Category 2

Dead on Map 1

Kills: 172/317

Time: 15:12

I actually played this mapset before. I had been considering it for an IronEagle selection before deciding on a different selection. (If memory serves me correctly, I went with A Taste for Blood instead.) It may not look like it helped me very much, but, oh well. That's the sort of thing that happens when you're faced with a horde of imps and you don't keep an eye on your health.

Category 3

Dead on Map 1

Kills: 208/317

Time: 25:49

I liked how the map was progressing. I was flush with 170+% health and armor and I was starting to envision myself finishing the first map (to paraphrase myself from July 2018's Darkening run, I have small goals). Then I got cocky. Trying to be cute and conserve ammo (I watched the first few maps on Suitepee's stream), I armed myself with a shotgun (instead of the SSG) and stumbled forward into an ambush and found almost all of that health and armor chewed up by a bunch of imps and demons. Luckily, I'd left enough health scattered around that I was able to get myself back up to 100% and then I handled the imp horde much better than my Category 2 run. I figured I was low on shells, but good with the rest of my ammo and full on health, so I could probably make a pretty good run at the rest of the map ... and then I managed to misjudge how close I was to a revenant when I shot it with a rocket. Good times were had by all.

Generally, I like Eternal's style and this set is no exception. At least in the early maps, I found there to be a fair amount of health and ammo around, and there was generally abundant space to move. The way he structured the maps as well, particularly in the first map, led to places where you could create choke points to funnel the monsters into so there were fewer able to kill you at one time. You couldn't do it to the whole map, obviously, but there were definitely parts of it where you could. The look of the maps, with the texture choices and the details, were also quite good. And the maps were fun to play, too, which is always a plus. In general, why play if you're not having fun?