Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

3 hours ago, SirJuicyLemon said:

Doom 1 came before Doom 2

Yes, Doom 1 was released before Doom 2, but Thy Flesh Consumed came after Doom 2.

Since Thy Flesh Consumed is what made Doom into Ultimate Doom, then, in a manner of speaking, Doom 2 came before Doom 1.

Just found out that a lot of the music in Doom was just filler soundtracks and a lot of the music that sounds like Pantera or Metallica or whatever wasn't initially intended to remain in the final product.

I have just found out that doom originally used sounds from the snes port of wolf3d as placeholders until the final sounds were made

7 hours ago, Pegleg said:

Yes, Doom 1 was released before Doom 2, but Thy Flesh Consumed came after Doom 2.

Since Thy Flesh Consumed is what made Doom into Ultimate Doom, then, in a manner of speaking, Doom 2 came before Doom 1.

Wasn't expecting such interesting comment to be honest!

Well, talking about "Doom 1" can be quite controversial in this aspect if we are to read the small print. What is or what is not Doom 1.

For me, when I read "Doom" I prefer to leave it to the ambivalence to refer to whether Doom or Ultimate Doom (I guess it's usually interpreted as Ultimate Doom as an abbreviation, even though some other people regularly write down the whole "Ultimate Doom" title), but when I read "Doom 1" I think of the Original Doom, without Thy Flesh Consumed.

Doom scholars could even go further and directly infer that there is (usually) no need to use the "1" to refer to Doom/Ultimate Doom, and so "Doom 1" could/should be interpreted as the Shareware version (as the .wad is DOOM1.wad), but that'd be too much for my taste.

I was playing E3M4 (house of pain) of Doom and got soft-locked in the pinkie trap after the crusher section. Turns out the backside of the door is set to 'DR (door open wait close) also monsters'. Meaning either a monster can close it while you're in the room or you can close it from the outside and make it in before it shuts.

Hr8Isvk.png

57 minutes ago, Kronecker–Capelli said:

There are sonic game which use modified gzdoom version.

There are?

Sonic Robo Blast 2 is based on Doom Legacy, not GZDoom. (Though to be honest I doubt there's much remaining of Legacy. They've rewritten pretty much everything by now.) There are a few Sonic-themed mods for ZDoom but they don't need a modified version. Then there's Megaman 8-Bit Deathmatch but 1. it's Megaman, not Sonic, and 2. it's based on Zandronum.

I was making a new player class in ZDoom based on a monster class, and I just copied over most of the states. I forgot to remove the monster attack functions, and it turns out ZDoom accepts that just fine... but once you start shooting, the side effects get weird. I guess it was the FaceTarget function that would forever redirect my aim at the corpse of the first enemy I'd try to attack.

I learned not too long ago that:

- glow sectors won't glow if all the surrounding sectors are the same brightness.

- arachnotrons need a lot of room past the line if you want to make them cross a teleport linedef.

- monsters will infight even if separated by an impassable linedef, you have to separate them by a sector with actual height.

- the color purple doesn't substantially exist in any textures or graphics of doom.wad or doom2.wad at all.

Controversial, but... Odissey Of Noises is easier than Congo on Ultra-Violence. 

Also: Congo is the Map01 I die most often in. 

On 3/10/2020 at 11:29 PM, Lawrence said:

I learned not too long ago that:

- the color purple doesn't substantially exist in any textures or graphics of doom.wad or doom2.wad at all.

The purple/magenta is heavily used in the cacodemon projectile and on the commander keen graphics.

Marine's Best Friend can load Eviternity just fine (a 1998 build I'm using).

Problem is... once you get past the intermission screen the game shits itself and crashes INSANTLY.

EDIT: And over half of the maps I try to warp to have segmentation violations XD

Edited by DynamiteKaitorn

that the hole in doomguy's Armor is an actual tear in his armor and not purposefully designed that way.image.png.3205d96d02355630c6cb96a3c2785756.png

Just found out that one of the blue key doors in The Gantlet is triggered by the water backpack secret. Caught the door closing out of the corner of my eye and it didn't make sense. No enemies left in the area and it's a key door. Did a double take and had to check out if I actually saw it in an editor.

Setting part of the walls in a room to "lower unpegged" and the others not kinda removes the auto-align in Doom Builder. If you want them aligned like earlier, you need to do it manually. 

On 3/19/2020 at 7:47 AM, ABRACADABRA said:

Gauss Rifle + Drone = Millenium Falcon

Han Solo could do an Ultra-violence speedrun of Doom II in under fifteen parsecs 

You can add more animated textures and flats to vanilla Ultimate Doom by replacing Doom 2 ones, or you can just add the Doom 2 ones.

EDIT: Sorry, Doom 2 switches do NOT work in vanilla Ultimate Doom.   Lame!

Edited by Gokuma

Guest Unregistered account
On 3/20/2020 at 10:14 AM, spd7693 said:

Setting part of the walls in a room to "lower unpegged" and the others not kinda removes the auto-align in Doom Builder. If you want them aligned like earlier, you need to do it manually. 

To my knowledge auto-align only pays attention to the texture offset values, so making all of the walls lower-unpegged should mean they align again

TIL Cacodemons in 2016 and Eternal have hands.

Cacodemons can bite. Its probably happened to me at some point but I just assumed it was a projectile, since there's no sound effect or alternate animation for biting.

@whirledtsar it makes the same flesh tearing sound as the Imps' scratch

@Kapanyo 

Not always. It's complicated to explain. 

Another weird thing. I don't know if that should happen, but in my most recent map while testing it I had three ghost monsters stuck and immobile behind a block monster linedef. That usually isn't supposed to happen. 

Also - if you kill a ghost monster, after its next resurrection it may easily end up outside of the map. 

If you pause the game when a non-homing revenant rocket is flying, it may become homing when you unpause, or vice versa. Tested with Chocolate and Crispy Doom (ESC and pause button) and PrBoom+ cl2 (pause button only I think).

Obviously related to https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Revenant_tracers_desync_internal_demo  but this particular manifestation seems not very well known. If it's unknown, does someone want to test vanilla? MAP13 gives you a good setup to test. Might take a few tries before one actually switches.

edit: Hey here's a demo even.

revrock.zip

edit2: it even works in PrB+ on all complevels! Not ZDoom though, that would have been really surprising.

Edited by plums

12 hours ago, Kapanyo said:

@whirledtsar it makes the same flesh tearing sound as the Imps' scratch

Not always though, sometimes it's seemingly silent.

It's also a very rare occurrence to get bitten by a Caco, because for some reason they're not inclined to use their melee attack even at close range. I've been bitten before but it literally "just happens".