Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alientank

Who else is building a PC for Doom 3?

Just curious as to if I'm the only one? I'm using this setup or an AMD one.

ASUS P4PE motherboard
Pentium 4 3.4 GHZ 0.09-micron based CPU
1 Gig of Corsair XMS3500 DDR400 MHZ RAM
Next generation ATI Graphics card based on DDR II memory (R350 which will rape the Geforce fx, and be cheaper)
80 Gig hard drive
CD burner
16x dvd drive
3.5 inch floppy drive
Audigy 2 Surround sound 6.1 sound card
6.1 surround sound speakers and subwoofer

I already have a great Doom 3 computer

Pentium 4 1.600000000000000000000000 ghz
256 mb ram
GeForce 4 Ti 4600
Soundblaster LIVE!
5.1 surround sound

I've built it.

My specs:

Pentium 4 2.5gHz
1GB DDR RAM (Two 512MB sticks)
Western Digital 100GB 7200rpm Hard Drive
nVidia Geforce 4 Ti4600
Creative Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 Sound card (Heh, you stole my card BBG :P)

All of this plus the essentials (Motherboard, 21" Monitor, etc.) cost roughly $1,900... $2,100 dollars less than the pre-built one I was gonna buy, which didn't even include a monitor.

I'm currently running Windows ME (I've yet to upgrade to XP, mainly for the price; moreover, I'm attached to ME :P). Perhaps it was a bit early to build it, but hey, better now than never :)

[EDIT]Seems I was badly mistaken... I went through my old reciepts and I worked out the total of all of my parts: $1,300.[/EDIT]

Krezy Man said:

I've built it.

My specs:

Pentium 4 2.5gHz
nVidia Geforce 4 Ti4600

All of this plus the essentials (Motherboard, 21" Monitor, etc.) cost roughly $1,900... $2,100 dollars less than the pre-built one I was gonna buy, which didn't even include a monitor.

You payed $2000 for that?! Damn! For all the stuff I mentioned I worked it out to about $23-2500 Canadian! I need to find a good LCD monitor though.

Alientank said:

You payed $2000 for that?! Damn! For all the stuff I mentioned I worked it out to about $23-2500 Canadian! I need to find a good LCD monitor though.

...The sole reason I love computer shows...

=P

I also live in the horrid United States, which may be a factor in the price difference.

Krezy Man said:

...The sole reason I love computer shows...

=P

I also live in the horrid United States, which may be a factor in the price difference.

Heh I was saying that he got ripped off bad. I live in Canada and I just buy stuff from the US.

Here's my new baby that will arive in a few days: http://www5.pc.ibm.com/us/products.nsf/$wwwPartNumLookup/_831038U

Note that I didn't pay that much for it, there was a nice discount on it when I was purchasing it and a few promotions that made it worth it.

EDIT: Looks like you might have to copy and paste that.

Oh yes and I forgot, I have Klipsch 4.1 Pro Media speakers, a Sound Blaster Live 5.1, and a 20gb hard drive I'll be adding on to that when it arives. Then a cable modem and it will be my new server.

I dont plan on upgrading my pc i just bought an xbox. It will most likely be alot better for Pc but fuck it i dont have the money for that shit.
My dad also dosent smile apon spending $1000 for upgrades for one game.

Tyockell said:

I dont plan on upgrading my pc i just bought an xbox. It will most likely be alot better for Pc but fuck it i dont have the money for that shit.
My dad also dosent smile apon spending $1000 for upgrades for one game.

It would be for this game, all before it, and a few of the ones on the Doom 3 engine.

I seriously need to start saving money.
Even then, I'll probably not have the money.. It's a cold world.

My finances are settled - the core specs are going to be roughly:

• P4 2.53 Ghz
  • 512MB RDRAM (possible 1024MB)
  • Geforce FX / Radeon 9700 Pro
  • 19" Flat CRT
Which may improve as prices come down in following months. As well as the usual array of extras - Hard disks, dvd drives etc.

GS-1719 said:

My finances are settled - the core specs are going to be roughly:

• P4 2.53 Ghz
  • 512MB RDRAM (possible 1024MB)
  • Geforce FX / Radeon 9700 Pro
  • 19" Flat CRT
Which may improve as prices come down in following months. As well as the usual array of extras - Hard disks, dvd drives etc.

I'd wait for the new ATI cards to come out, talk to Kat about it.

Alientank said:

Why would you ever want a LCD?

Well, i have the pentium 4 but i still nees some memory ram and the video card and of course the good almighty sound card.

it will be a long journey :)

aca said:

Why would you ever want a LCD?

I'll be on a small desk, CRT monitors are not an option as I won't have the room so I hope there are some really good gaming LCD's out there.

I need a new geforce card...and a new fan. I can't stand the noise it makes. My proc is 1.9ghz. with my current pc the doom 3 alpha was S L O W!

Alientank said:

I'd wait for the new ATI cards to come out, talk to Kat about it.

Damned straight^ I already have a pretty fast system, 2.4 gig P4 with the Radeon 9700 pro and 512 ram but i'm still gonna upgrade right before D3 comes out since I already bought the game. They're just testing it now on the Radeon so that will def. run it, but they'll put some options in there that ur gonna need the cutting edge comp to run and I wanna experience this new doom in all its glory.

The_Aeromaster, could you be any dumber? Really. Things are just getting ridiculous around here.

First of all, they're not going to put anything in the game "that you need cutting edge hardware" to run. They never have, they never will, and pretty much, in the gaming industry, that just doesn't happen. It limits the developers' target audience too much, because even though people with lesser systems can certainly run the game, the people who don't understand how to modify even relatively simple detail settings (the largest portion of an a-list game's audience) will be unsatisfied with the game's performance at the default detail settings. Or, if the default detail settings are lowered from the maximum, then those people who've bought brand-new systems from an OEM for a ridiculous sum (which are never truly "cutting-edge") will be upset that the game really doesn't look as good as they've heard.

Second of all, upgrading your current system for Doom 3 is both ridiculous and brain-dead. That system as it stands will run even the unoptimized alpha fine, and it should slay the final game. Unless you've got more money than you know what to do with or you're completely retarded, wasting money on another system "for" Doom 3 is moronic.

Thirdly, you "bought" the game? Really? Where? What does the box look like? What comes with the game? Do you get a paper manual? How many discs is it? Get a clue. You might've pre-ordered the game, but even that's dubious. I, for one, got my money back on my reservation. I'm just going to go buy a retail copy of the game when it comes out.

I haven't read the rest of this thread, but after simply reading that post, I can't be bothered.

Katarhyne said:

I, for one, got my money back on my reservation. I'm just going to go buy a retail copy of the game when it comes out.

I don't EVER preorder games. Usually they arrive at your house a day or 2 after release when I can just go to the store and pick it up myself.

BBG said:

I already have a great Doom 3 computer

Pentium 4 1.600000000000000000000000 ghz
256 mb ram
GeForce 4 Ti 4600
Soundblaster LIVE!
5.1 surround sound

Get more RAM

AMD Athlon XP 2000+
256mb DDR RAM
GeForce2 MX400
Motherboard PCI128 Sound Card :P

Well, the processor's there at least. All I need is more RAM and a better video card. I don't care too much for the sound.

Mr. Chris said:

Get more RAM

Don't need it. I have my virtual memory set to 1 gig, so that means I have 1 gig of extra memory, though not as fast.

BBG said:

Don't need it. I have my virtual memory set to 1 gig, so that means I have 1 gig of extra memory, though not as fast.

"Not as fast"? Reading from RAM is approximately 1000 times faster than disk swapping.

Case: Codegen 250W (I need 300W, I know)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-7VRXP
Processor: AMD Athlon XP 2000+ (1.66 GHz)
Cooler: ThermalTake Volcano 7+ (damn noisy!)
Memory: Apacer 256 MB DDR-333 MHz (I'll add more ASAP)
Graphics: Hercules 3D Prophet 9700 PRO (I should get this on Friday)
Harddisk: Seagate Barracuda ATA II (10.2 GB) (slow and old)
CD-ROM: NEC 52x IDE
Floppy: Sony 1.44 MB (regular)
Monitor: NOKIA 447Xav

Well, all I need more is 300W power supply (or how to call it?), HDD and RAM.. then I'm ready to enjoy ;)

Krezy Man said:

I've built it.

My specs:

Pentium 4 2.5gHz
nVidia Geforce 4 Ti4600

I'm currently running Windows ME (I've yet to upgrade to XP, mainly for the price; moreover, I'm attached to ME :P). Perhaps it was a bit early to build it, but hey, better now than never :)

[EDIT]Seems I was badly mistaken... I went through my old reciepts and I worked out the total of all of my parts: $1,300.[/EDIT]

Damn....*Steals your computer*.... dont try to stop me.. i'll shove a fireball down your throut

Imp said:

Damn....*Steals your computer*.... dont try to stop me.. i'll shove a fireball down your throut

/me pumps a point blank buckshot into Imp and recovers stolen computer.
Imps. Always funny to blast with a shotgun >:-]

I'll be needing a new motherboard in order to get a new CPU and of course, a new graphics card.