Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bridgeburner56

Mapwich 2!! Come join the chaos

Nice to see you working on some smaller levels IG ^_^

Seriously though looks amazing. I'm a big fan of the grotto temple aesthetic.

I'm sure that beach will be a nice place to chill out and enjoy the sun and totally won't be filled by several hundreds monsters in the IG style, oh no sir... :P

2 hours ago, Turin Turambar said:

I'm sure that beach will be a nice place to chill out and enjoy the sun and totally won't be filled by several hundreds monsters in the IG style, oh no sir... :P

This is 100% correct.

3 hours ago, Hcoop111 said:

roughly around when do you think the wich will be available to taste month or 2? or less hmm

I've received about 2/3 of the maps so far and those have all had initial testing, hopefully have the rest of the maps in over the next week. Then there's compiling, making the hub map, coop testing. So yeah, about a month i'd say all going well.
That all being said the maps are available for anyone to test in the discord.

As stated in the tweet, I've had an absolute blast this time around (even with mister Bridge constantly stealing my mapping partner for Supercharge updates ;P ) I hope we can continue this tradition for a while, it's been incredible to watch what amazing things people create when they work together. I think you guys will enjoy every last bite of this Mapwich!

Update on progress:

I should have all the maps tested by the end of this week which will then trigger compiling and a rough alpha build for internal coop testing the following weekend (oohhhh I'm looking forward to this). 1st test session will be reserved for mappers only but then I'll be opening up to people in my discord at which point I'll probably organise 2 more coop testing sessions. Depending on how everything goes balance/bugs wise a public there will be a beta posted here in 3 weeks or so.

Reading "Zandronum-compatible" is what made me pay attention to this project. After testing Lost Civilization on my 2006 Barbie Limited Edition Tamagotchi and being able to run it flawlessly, I have new expectation standards for how far Boom and non-gzdoom maps can go.

Downloaded Mapwich1 to get a sense of what I am jumping into, could only run map04, map05 and a few others because of gzdoom shenanigans. These few "vanilla" maps that I could run were very satisfying to play, nice design. The initial hub map on Mapwich1 makes my computer slow down to a crawl. A small hub map, with a single circular room, some teleports and a few fancy-looking graphical effects. Oh, and that same initial hub map apparently needed TWO HUNDRED megabytes of RAM from my computer. Could anyone tell me how a small hub map can reach these ammounts of hardware requirements? Is it the moving clouds? HaHaHa

So I can say yeah, reading "Zandronum-compatible" really brings me relief. =D

Is that the reason you guys focused on Zandronum for this edition?

@DwarfCleric Zandronum was picked purely for co-op compatibility and Gzdoom will run the same map better than Zandronum provided you are not using a legacy build (I've check my Mapwich 2 map and Gzdoom results in a 35ish% increase in fps, I'm not sure how Zandro compares to older Gzdoom builds).
There are definitely maps that will result on a heavy draw on your machine, there are multiple 60k+ line submissions. That being said with 25ish maps there's a wide variety of sizes and styles.

Zandronum is unlikely to be used again for the Mapwich. Gzdoom is heading towards improved multiplayer compatibility and being based off an old version of GZdoom (1.8.6) Zandronum is awkward to make maps for so I will be avoiding it as a port of choice in the future. 

FYI the hub for Mapwich 1 has 15000 lines, a triple stacked portal and an animated sky. It used to have reflective floors too but it set Jimmy's computer on fire so I removed them to honour its sacrifice :D

16 hours ago, Bridgeburner56 said:

@DwarfCleric there are multiple 60k+ line submissions.

It used to have reflective floors too but it set Jimmy's computer on fire so I removed them

As I mentioned there, my computer is perfectly able to run Lost Civilization (humongous maps with huge wide open areas) and Avactor in Prboom without a hitch. Load Avactor map10 and see for yourself. So it doesn't seem to be remotely related to "lines". Always makes me giggle when I read it.

When I play some wads in gzdoom, my processor is used up to the same level converting an MP4 movie. The same does not happen when I play Quake mods with massive ammounts of enemies, even less than Prboom.

Some maps that are made for Doom these days just make me question why these guys don't go learn Quake mapping, I think it should provide a much better platform for their ideas. With the ammount of work to do "floors over floors" and many other things might as well go map in full 3D for Quake already.

@DwarfCleric The number of lines being rendered 100% affects fps. Otherwise I wouldn't have had to cut out the infamous 30000 line jellyfish room from TSS. Or insane gazebo would not have had to cut map 15 of sunder in half with a massive sight line blocking wall, and that's a boom map set. Feel free to giggle away in your ignorance. 

Quake doesn't interests me in the slightest because I find the bestiary and gameplay dull and repetitive. Doom is much better suited to monsterously big maps and monster counts. How many quake maps have 5000 enemies let alone 30000? Doom ports are the best engines for handling true monster hordes. 

Okuplok2 runs fine in Prboom. The starting hub of Mapwich1 doesn't. 

Gotta laugh xDDDDD

But anyway, it's futile to swim against the current, if that's the direction things are headed, go on.

2 hours ago, DwarfCleric said:

Okuplok2 runs fine in Prboom. The starting hub of Mapwich1 doesn't. 

I'm assuming you mean Untitled Slaughter 2 by Okuplok which has 24k ish lines which is not particularly big as an absolute count but that is actually not relevant. The most lines you can see (and are therefore rendered) at any one point in this map is 3k, maaaaybe 4k if you stand in just the right spot which is bugger all. And it has no portals and no animated sky so you're really comparing apples with anvils. Good job, back to school for you.

Doesn't matter how many lines it has, Okuplok2 it's playable and it's fun. Gameplay is at focus of design, not spamming lines for the sake of it.

Well it's taken a bit longer than originally anticipated but.... 

All the ingredients have been collected. The Mapwich is ready to layer and stack high. The feast is nigh. The wait will most definitely have been worth it. 

So yeah, all maps have been submitted and in going to start putting together the alpha build this weekend. 1st coop test session will be the following weekend which I'm very excited for. 

Thanks to all the mappers who submitted a map. Lots of hard work has gone into these and it's gonna be an epic mapset

what do we want..wich! when do we want it....NOW!.... circles with a sign in protest...lol