Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
VanaheimRanger

Atomic Island - Now on Doomshack

So, Atomic Island uses the Mini-Charge MBF gameplay mod, which is a lite version of Supercharge, which is the continuation of the gameplay mod featured in Paradise. Wow =)

The screenshots are impressive, dark and exciting. Wish I could try it on a 4K-monitor.

Nice themes and cool texture usage. However , it looks very flat , maybe you can add some height differences?

Somehow haven't seen this til now, it looks excellent so far. Keep up the fine work!

This wad is unique for sure! Played it using GZDoom 4.3.3 because I didn't know how difficult it's supposed to be. Well, "resurrect" command was used about 10 times. Mostly on map 3.

Map 1 is some kind of introductory map. The only thing that bugs me are 3 cyberdemons on hills. What's the point of them? They'll never hit you if you don't stand still and there's not enough ammo to kill at least one of them.

Map 2

- The section with cyberdemons should be remade. The hallways are too narrow for you to bypass anyone and, if you hide in a dark hallway, demons nearby just make laps around it and eventually blast you. So it's a matter of time where they'll get you stuck.

- The teleport (sector 593) in the room with a Rocket Launcher and rockets doesn't look obvious. I thought something will happen after I grab the Rocket Launcher, so I picked the first half of the rockets, accidentally crossed the teleport, and moved into the room full of Hell Knights with weak weapons to fight back. There are textures that describe a teleport better, like OLGHTN06 on Map 3, while this one is OLLLLA07.

- The room with the yellow keycard features some exclamation marks of types 27705 and 29107. Like some monsters/decorations haven't been implemented yet.

Map 3 

- More rockets! The map has a lot of crowds you're supposed to fight with SSG which is a little tedious.

- Maze-like map.

- Something is wrong with monsters teleporting. When I got into the room with linedefs 14682 and 14677, just a pair of barons teleported to me. Later in the game, I used the lift (sector 633) and faced a lot of knights in the room and I didn't have much room to dodge their projectiles. Besides, this lift goes lower than excepted.

- While going down by the exit lift, some textures are missing.

Spoiler

atomic-1.png

- Sector 2508 (and probably 2509) still looks like an empty path with no wall raised up after crossing linedefs 16984 and 17010, but something prevents you from going through it.

Spoiler

atomic-2.png

Screenshot_Doom_20200621_142715.png.f6eb77f1d7b2c818875ef140f1a89da0.png

Edited by Dimon12321 : Switch image host to free DW attachment space

12 hours ago, Dimon12321 said:

- The section with cyberdemons should be remade. The hallways are too narrow for you to bypass anyone and, if you hide in a dark hallway, demons nearby just make laps around it and eventually blast you. So it's a matter of time where they'll get you stuck.

Unless Guitardz changed anything, that Cybbie encounter is more than doable. Just hide in the small corridors, wait for an opening, and run to the next one. The faster you can do it, the easier a time you'll have.

So I tried the demo - my comments so far. (This set is played in UV)

MAP01:

• This map has good detailing overall, but I felt it was too oversized. 
  • I think ammunition should be cut down for a bit (especially shells), because AFAIK, you can no longer get back to the starting area after dropping down the well (or the secret base, whatever)

Other than that, it's a fine introductory map.

Some trivial stuff:

• I notice some STF lumps are missing, particularly the looking and grinning lumps when the player is under 50% health.
  • You might have interfered with the pallette - I see that the sky and some enemies (when I get near them) are producing weird dots.
  • What is the protagonist supposed to be - a male or female?

1 minute ago, guitardz said:

I'll take a look at the mugshot graphics again, thank you.  She is supposed to be female but we haven't implemented new voice sound effects for her yet.

Being able to get back to the starting area later is a good idea, I will think of how to add a teleporter for this later.

Her mouth is weird too. It's all black like she is sub-robot with led lights dead or she has used the whole lipstick to smear the lips.

I don't see much point in it. There are not so many supplies outside the well. Maybe someone would be curious if anything has happened to the gates of the helicopter landing place or so. Whatever.