Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ArgentFrequencies

Recommended programs for making midi music? (And process of adding it?)

Question

What programs do you use to make your midi music, and how should I go about adding it to Vanilla Doom? I'm looking for a piano-roll style and as user-friendly as possible.

On an unrelated note, how do I do custom sounds for Vanilla Doom?

15 answers to this question

15 minutes ago, ArgentFrequencies said:

I've tried Sekaiju, but it's a bit finnicky and complicated in parts. Are any of the programs in this thread really easy to use? As in really easy to use?

Why don't you try them out?

But ill throw one more bone: Try Sound Club. Its in Windows and in DOS and its probably one of the more straightforward editors out there.

While I can't help you with MIDIs, for custom sounds:

You'll need to import a sound and give it the same name as the sound you're replacing. You'll also have to convert it to doom format for many ports to be able to use it-SLADE 3 has a converter for this, if i remember correctly.

Just now, Tartlman said:

While I can't help you with MIDIs, for custom sounds:

You'll need to import a sound and give it the same name as the sound you're replacing. You'll also have to convert it to doom format for many ports to be able to use it-SLADE 3 has a converter for this, if i remember correctly.

Any limits on how the sound can be? There's probably a size limit for Vanilla Doom's memory allocation or something along those lines, right?

1 minute ago, ArgentFrequencies said:

Any limits on how the sound can be? There's probably a size limit for Vanilla Doom's memory allocation or something along those lines, right?

You should probably be fine as long as it isn't absolutely massive - I doubt there's any information floating around for vanilla's maximum sound size, but maybe you could find something on doomwiki.

4 minutes ago, Tartlman said:

You should probably be fine as long as it isn't absolutely massive - I doubt there's any information floating around for vanilla's maximum sound size, but maybe you could find something on doomwiki.

Then again, 'massive' is relative. I assume Gigabytes of sound is too much? But megabytes in the 90's is big too. Also, are there any quirks with Doom's sound format I should keep in mind?

5 minutes ago, ArgentFrequencies said:

Then again, 'massive' is relative. I assume Gigabytes of sound is too much? But megabytes in the 90's is big too. Also, are there any quirks with Doom's sound format I should keep in mind?

I don't think that a sound is what you should be using if you get that large - note that music has to be in midi format for vanilla to run (i think).

As for quirks, it's just more compressed than you're probably used to i think.

Just now, Tartlman said:

I don't think that a sound is what you should be using if you get that large - note that music has to be in midi format for vanilla to run.

As for quirks, it's just more compressed than you're probably used to i think.

The sizes were just poor estimates. Also, doesn't Doom run music in MUS, which can be converted from midi?

I like some added compression. Wouldn't feel right to have some crisp gun sounds next to crusty camel noises.

3 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

@Ribbiks had some foreshadowing with his January 29 post. It also links several midi editors that have been used.

I've tried Sekaiju, but it's a bit finnicky and complicated in parts. Are any of the programs in this thread really easy to use? As in really easy to use?

1 minute ago, Redneckerz said:

Why don't you try them out?

But ill throw one more bone: Try Sound Club. Its in Windows and in DOS and its probably one of the more straightforward editors out there.

Sorry to sound stupid, but sound club is the kind I was looking for, thanks!

11 minutes ago, ArgentFrequencies said:

Sorry to sound stupid, but sound club is the kind I was looking for, thanks!

I have used prior aswell (Someone that has literal zero midi experience) and i could work with it. One day ill compose for Doom projects, but for now ill make use of my other skills :P

I use Noteworthy Composer, since it displays what you're doing as standard musical notation.  Too bad the program isn't free, though.

I normally use Cakewalk SONAR, which a pretty old program tbh haha

But I'm used with it, and you can record anything (audio or MIDI), also I can plug my keyboard and record live or use a step sequencer (for example, to create drums patterns)

Anvil Studio is my go to, very easy to draw out the songs, and has support midi keyboards. 

9 hours ago, ZeMystic said:

Anvil Studio is my go to, very easy to draw out the songs, and has support midi keyboards. 

I remember working with that, but I found some parts limiting. For example, the paywalled features.