Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Icon of Sin

First Time

IMG_0136.jpg?w=960&ssl=1

When was the first time you played Doom, ill start, back in 2015 when I was 12, I played the IOS port that John Carmack made, It was a jank port but I still played the hell out of it.

Edited by The Icon of Sin

I guess it was back in 2001-2002, I was 4-5 years old, playing on my dad's IBM laptop.

Now that I'm used to Doom, everything is pretty normal to me, but if I stop playing like a zombie and start paying more attention, every little detail of Doom brings back really nostalgic memories of those times. I fondly remember those times when I hear the sound when you pick up a new weapon, when you shoot the chaingun, those kind of things.

I do not remember when was the first time I ever played the game, but the first time I played with the intention of finishing the game was near the end of 2016. I was looking through an abandonware website to find games to play in DOSBox, because that was mostly what I did at the time, and found The Ultimate Doom in it. Yes, Doom isn't abandonware, but I was under the impression it was at the time, and the owners of the site probably were, too -- it might even actually have been the case. The site now links to places to buy the game, rather than just offer a link to download it.

My first experience was the Xbox Arcade demo back in like late 2000's. Then I found my dad's copy of the doom trilogy, with final doom and stuff all for windows. I couldn't run it, so I had to find a source port, which my first ended up being Doomsday.

My dad must have got it in 94. I was 8 at the time. I watched my father play all the time; it looked so awesome and addictive and I really wanted to play it. But my father wouldn't let me, because it was "too violent". This was before windows 95, and launching doom directly from DOS was a skill that I really didn't have at the time.

A few years later he finally let me play it; I must have been 10 I think. So probably I played doom for the first time in 96.

I played Ultimate Doom when I was 7-8 years old, on old windows 95 computer back 2004. My exposure to Doom 2 and Final Doom was back to 2007 on newer computer. It was fun and still is. 

1 hour ago, The Icon of Sin said:

back in 2011 the IOS port that John Carmack made,

Was it not any good? A while ago I was trying to rebuild this in Xcode but didn't get very far. Thankfully we have the Bethesda port now at least.

Best estimate I can give is December 2017/January 2018. I didn't get really into it until months later tho.

I want to say 1994 or 1995... I was 6 or 7 and playing the shareware. 

The game terrified my friends and I; we loved it. It was always a bummer getting to the end of E1 and not being able to play more. I never ended up getting the full game as a kid, so I think it was probably ten years until I played all of it.

January 23rd, 2020. Picked up Doom II on Steam. 
Still Salty because of how lazy they did it. Just slam the WAD into DOSBox and call it a day. 
Is DOSBox open source? Because I have a feeling ID games did something illegal. 
But still, I eventually picked up UDoom and Final Doom eventually, had a fun time ever since.
(Except you, Plutonia. You and your Shotgunners in Map01 can commit Hell 2.)

1.1 shareware release in 1994 though I had seen it at a friend's place prior to that. I think the magazine whose cover discs I got it off is still in a box somewhere. I remember liking the brief glimpse I got at the friend's place but not thinking about it afterwards. But when I saw the magazine, I HAD to have it. On some level I just knew it was going to be significant.

Around 95 in a really slow computer that ran it at 2 fps, with a BW monitor. I remember downsizing the screen to the lowest value and being surprised at how much better it ran.

Sometime early 1994 at a friends place on a 486. Was 14 back then and only had a soso 386 myself. Played through it (and Doom 2) on that either way. Doom 2 got p chuggy in places from what I remember.

The fact that so many kids / teenagers are seeing crusty ol’ Doom so many years after it was released and still falling in love with it makes me happy. That gravitational pull is still strong in 2020!

1994, and it was Doom II on my... Well, let's call him my "sperm donor," that guy's computer.  I was about nine at the time.  I remember getting freaked out at every new demon I encountered.  Little ol' catholic school me, freaked out by pixel demons.  Sounds about right.

Someone made a flash version of the DooM engine known as "Triple DooM Pack" (probably got the name wrong). It basically contained the shareware versions of DooM, Heretic and Hexen.

Speaking of which, what engine was that flash version based off? (As in was it closer to vanilla or ZDoot or boom?)

Pretty sure it was just a direct port of the existing source with no alterations other than adding sound back in, very close to vanilla.

started about 3 weeks ago, off of Crispy Doom. I beat the shareware version in maybe an hour while messing around with settings and cheats. Thanks Dwars, I'm having a blast!

The DOS version of Doom 2 (probably 1.666, later I specifically remember using 1.7a), back some time in 1994.  It was at a friend's house.  Soon after we started designing maps together.

Once I got my own PC that Christmas, I quickly got Doom 2 and Ultimate Doom for myself, and started making maps.

7 hours ago, DiamondDude11 said:

Is DOSBox open source? Because I have a feeling ID games did something illegal. 

Yeah, it's open source, so it was fine to use it.  It's under the GNU General Public License.

2011, first version I played was the 32X version via emulation (that's how I started my reteo gaming venture back in 2009-2010, and ever since I've been an emulation freak). Later on, I found myself trying the SNES, GBA, and Jaguar ports. Eventually, I found out that those are actually a PC game, and the rest is history.

Doom - PS1 - 1997

That was Doom for me until the 360 releases years later. Then BFG edition in 2012 and now the modern ports on PS4.

14 hours ago, Remilia Scarlet said:

Yeah, it's open source, so it was fine to use it.  It's under the GNU General Public License.

Thank you Final Boss of Touhou.
(Really, thanks.)
It still baffles me how they didn't make a new engine to run Doom on, kinda like they did for the switch? 
(Minus the Bethesda.net DRM Crap.)

Three days ago. I haven't really played games since I was a kid. Out of nowhere I remembered going to a friend's house and watching his older brother play it (sometime in the late 90s), so I grabbed Ultimate Doom from GOG and played through it with Chocolate Doom on medium difficulty.

I'm on my second run now on Ultra-Violence, but only made it toward the end of the first episode so far.