Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cambreaKer

What is the oldest PC game that you own

So what is the oldest PC game that you own, in physical form.

The oldest PC game that i own is Chasm: The Rift, from 1997. I bought it a couple of months ago for 1€ in a flea market, and i must say that it's a pretty cool game, i'm loving the gore system the game has.

Honestly, NFS Underground, a 2003 classic.

I grew up with NES games and didn't have a PC until around 2002, but I was just a wee lad knowing nothing and a family friend installed all the games on it anyway. So when I got my first modern PC in 2006 I moved to newer games and only after getting in my late-ish teens I returned to classic and retro games in general, but by that point I stopped carrying for physical copies of video games completely. Music is the only media I'm still buying in physical form, but even there I have started shopping in places such as Bandcamp a while ago.

Edited by seed

Are we going by "how old is the game", or "how long ago you bought it" ?

Oldest game is a damn hard one, since I have a GOG account with...well, a  crap ton of stuff from way back when.

Oldest game I own in general...hmm... I want to say Age of Empires 2, by way of AOE 2 HD. I bought AOE 2 back when it was first released, but along the way I lost the disc, then re-bought the HD (and then DE) editions, so I guess that counts. 

Technically Thief: The Dark Project counts here too, though back then I only had a ....*sigh* pirated copy (back in the 90's, you really couldn't find anything in India...). However, I have since re-bought the game on GOG, so again..same thing applies as AOE 2. 

I guess Descent 2 also counts in that definition, though I only had the Destination: Quartzon disc, not the full Descent 2 copy. 

Doom MIGHT count as well, though I can't really say when I actually bought it for sure. I know my brother bought a copy of Doom 2 for Mac, but that was well after we had already played it a ton. And then, again, I grabbed it off of GOG too, but that was YEARS later. 

Now, if we're strictly speaking only counting "what is the oldest disc-copy of a game you have"... PROBABLY Shogun: Total War (the original) and the first Sims game.  Again, hard to tell, especially since my disc collection is still in India at the moment (just moved back to the states...still hauling stuff over), so I can't really recheck what's in the cases. 

Also have the original discs for Baldur's Gate, BG 2 and Throne of Baal, but I can't remember if I got those before or after the aforementioned Total War and The Sims. 

I still believe I have the old 2-CD version of Red Alert 2 lying around somewhere. 

I think I likely have a boxed copy of Curse of Monkey Island somewhere. I sold most of my physical PC library a long time ago (was able to get everything on gog) but I did keep some of the adventure games, and CoM would be the oldest one of those I think. 

8 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

I still believe I have the old 2-CD version of Red Alert 2 lying around somewhere. 

Oh, dude.... that was one of the non-bootleg copy games I did manage to buy back then, and holy shit did I play the living daylights out of that one. Still sad that the disc got lost along the way...

Interestingly enough, it's probably Doom, via the Collectors' Edition that I purchased back in 2006, I still have the boxes lying around somewhere.  I also have boxed copies of the original Worms, TOCA Touring Car and Geoff Crammond's Grand Prix 2, but they all came out in 1995-1997.

If you had asked me a couple weeks ago, it would have been Frogger on Atari 5200.  But I sold it, along with the Atari and all the games I had for it.  So I guess now the oldest game I own is Super Mario Bros on NES.  The triple-cart, with Duck Hunt and World Class Track Meet on it.

Dunno if it counts as a game, but one of the oldest CD's i have is for the 'Duke it out in D.C.' expansion my dad got me once. At the time we had no idea what an expansion pack was and you can imagine how 'fun' it was since i didn't had duke 3d at the time

59 minutes ago, unerxai said:

Quake 2 big box

I would have listed this too..... except when I grabbed it, I wasn't even in my teens yet. Well...my mother turned out to be one of the few moms who paid attention to what the box recommended age wise, and so I was forced to return it before I even opened it up back home. 

The oldest physical PC game I have is a copy of Mechwarrior 2 that my friend gave me a couple years ago. The PC game I have had the longest is Civ 2 which I got at a book fair back in the very early 2000s.

I inherited some 5¼ floppies with some old games. I have something called "Winter Olympiad"? Something that's just labelled "GATO" and I have no idea what it is; I don't think it's about a Spanish cat. Something called "MASQUE +" by UbiSoft. I think it was a text adventure game. I have "Grand Prix GP". Oooh, I have "Indy the Graphic Adventure" from LucasFilm Games. I have "Team Manager" by Mediaware, with a drawing of a Formula 1 car; it has a copyright date of 1988. Something just labelled "WAR". Some disks that appear to be copies of the Indy disks. Another old UbiSoft thing, called "Le Nécromancien".

I have no idea if any of these floppies are still functional.

For old games I bought myself way back when and I still have, there's TES: Arena, Genesia (aka Ultimate Domain in English), Shadowcaster, Star Wars: X-Wing, Magic Carpet...

If we are going by “how old is the game?”:

A CD of Walls of Rome I literally found on the street nine years ago.

If we are going by “how long ago you bought it?”:

A factory sealed copy of Doom 2 1.666 I purchased in a Domti store twenty-one years ago, 100 pesetas / 60 cents of euro.

Oldest game I physically still have in its original box is probably Quake 1. I also have the original box for Duke Nukem 3D Plutonium Pak.

Oldest game I have in any capacity is Wolfenstein 3D.

3 hours ago, ReaperAA said:

On a similar note, I'm sure I still have my copy of Tiberian Sun somewhere around here...

The oldest PC game I definitely have in my possession (in physical form) is The Need For Speed SE from 1994. This beats my digital copy of "Doom" for oldness, as the the Doom WAD I have contains the Ultimate Doom, i.e. 1995.

I feel like I still have my floppy disks somewhere, though... so Prince of Persia (1989) might take the cake. 

As far as copies I still own, it would probably go back to The 7th Guest, released in April of 1993, after that it would be Betrayal at Krondor, June 1993, and Myst, released in September of 1993. I still have the original discs. I did have floppies for Commander Keen, Curse of the Catacombs, and Terror of the Catacombs,  but those have been lost to time.

1 hour ago, Denim Destroyer said:

The oldest physical PC game I have is a copy of Mechwarrior 2 that my friend gave me a couple years ago. The PC game I have had the longest is Civ 2 which I got at a book fair back in the very early 2000s.

MW2's soundtrack oh lordy, forgot about that one. Anyway I take your Civ 2 and raise:

100_1038.JPG

2 minutes ago, Boaby Kenobi said:

I have some PC games from the early 90s. 

oldpc.png

that's nice big box collection, a million times bigger than mine, as i only have one big box game and it's half-life generation.

Physical media?  What is this sorcery?

With those constraints, it would be No-one Lives Forever.

In digital format, I have a lot of much older games than that. No idea what the actual oldest is, though.  Where do PC-ports of C64 games count? :)

first pc game I bought was Team Fortress 2(before it became f2p), the oldest game I own in general is Doom 1 given to me by my uncle who played it as a kid, sadly the box got coffee spilled on it a decade before I got it

I did have a copy of Recoil which came with my families first PC in 2000 but the disc got cracked and was chucked out.

Edited by Avoozl

Dunno if this is my oldest but the one that comes to mind is the Hexen 2 CD case that keeps popping up whenever I try to go through old stuff.

4 hours ago, Taurus Daggerknight said:

I would have listed this too..... except when I grabbed it, I wasn't even in my teens yet. Well...my mother turned out to be one of the few moms who paid attention to what the box recommended age wise, and so I was forced to return it before I even opened it up back home. 

That sucks. Did you get to exchange it for another game at least?