Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eurisko

The Unity Port Thread - PS/Xbox/Switch/IOS/Android

12 hours ago, Tarvis said:

Any plans to add gyro aim (Switch or even PS4) to these ports now that Doom 64 is confirmed to have it?

It's also on my list! I'd like to as it is definitely how I preferred to play Splatoon, but I can't confirm that it'll definitely make the cut. It's potentially one of those features that takes a lot to get right and be valuable.

22 minutes ago, Eurisko said:

Would this mean vertical aiming on the classic games? 

Why? They will have gyro turning left and right. Vertical aiming shows the perspective problem of the engine and the billboard sprites! Also, it creates problems in situations like the Icon of Sin where you can just lob missiles into the hole without riding the platform!

^ Not to mention you get a real good look at that vanilla render issue that occurs when you stand on a linedef if you can look up and down (most notably prominent in the Chasm)

No vertical looking is planned, either aim up and down or the kind where it doesn’t change your aim. That’s too big of a change, especially with the rendering issues present in the original renderer. 

On 12/10/2019 at 10:24 PM, Eurisko said:

SIGIL is now official.

Does this make it an IWAD though? It shouldn't be when you think about it (doesn't add new monsters and weapons)

9 minutes ago, The Doommer said:

Does this make it an IWAD though? It shouldn't be when you think about it (doesn't add new monsters and weapons)

It's still very much a PWAD, an addon to Ultimate Doom, that's how it was designed, similar to NRFTL, and it's never changing.

Why isn't the new port available on Steam? I have all the old games on Steam and they are running on a crappily configured Dosbox ... the keyboard doesn't even work on my PC.

Bethesda should port it to the PC and make it free for owners of all 4 OG Doom listings on Steam (Doom 1, 2, Final Doom and Master Levels) ...

16 hours ago, VGA said:

Why? They will have gyro turning left and right. Vertical aiming shows the perspective problem of the engine and the billboard sprites! Also, it creates problems in situations like the Icon of Sin where you can just lob missiles into the hole without riding the platform!

Which is why I asked. I wasn't entirely clear on what Gyro aiming involved.

I just remembered Switcheroom, which focused on "switching" levels or aspects of them in different episodes.

I might as well copy and paste here, the list of what most people think are good suggestions for potential addons:

* Memento Mori 1 and 2

* Hell Revealed 1 and 2 (minus the ROTT music which was a seperate file and the Star Trek image i think)

* Requiem

* Icarus: Alien Vanguard

* Most TNT/Plutonia fan sequels

* Back to Saturn X series

* No End In Sight

* The Becoming

* Doom The Way id Did series

* Base Ganymede

* Fava Beans

* Scythe 1 except some of its songs

* Cleimos 1 and 2

* SkePLand

* The Warlock's Hearth

* Equinox (without its soundtrack or sound replacement, although the HUD should be safe and it's cool looking)

* Revolution! with its MIDI pack that was originally optional

* Sudtic, Teutic and maybe Obtic (this one requires Dehacked)

* Maybe most of Eternal Doom

* Dystopia 3, Dystopia 301 and the one that's just "Dystopia"

* DWANGO and/or something related

* Switcheroom

* CH Retro Episode

Is there something else missing?

Edited by whatup876 : adding more

I wonder if a way for Eviternity to be represented would be some "lite" version, so the ports get to support it better.

Spoiler

I feel like i said this before and got an answer but in case i didn't: knowing the law related reasons for Doom's source code, consoles and the Doom 64 port, i wonder if it was ever suggested to put Doom 1/2 on the KEX engine or something related from Nightdive Studios.

May not be a good idea and this is me not understanding how things work, so there's probably an answer to this that i just forgot.

Hey @sponge, is there any chance that we could get the option to rebind controls, or at least bring the defaults up to speed with the Xbox Live Arcade release of Doom II? Specifically, I mean how the pistol and chaingun could toggle by pressing right, the rocket launcher, chainsaw, and berserk fist on down, and the plasma gun and BFG on left. The controls on these ports actually feel like a regression by only allowing the shotguns to be toggled. Alternatively, bind the BFG to Y and the saw/fist to X and move the automap to the view button, like Doom 2016. Just something that allows direct access to them.

Still holding out hope for Perditions Gate and Hell to Pay, and maybe Lost Episodes of Doom. These three commercial wads are nightmares to get hold of today. Would be nice to have them available again, troublefree.

3 minutes ago, Devalaous said:

Still holding out hope for Perditions Gate and Hell to Pay, and maybe Lost Episodes of Doom. These three commercial wads are nightmares to get hold of today. Would be nice to have them available again, troublefree.

Tom Mustaine himself offers a full download of Perdition's Gate on his site, doesn't get any more kosher than that!

http://www.mustaine.com/about/video-game-work/perditions-gate/

Also, what do we have here? Is this the full version?

https://www.moddb.com/games/doom-ii/addons/hell2pay

As for the Lost Eps, those maps were released separately, too:

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/The_Lost_Episodes_of_Doom

I already have the trio, but still. A proper official avenue of acquisition would be neat. These three wads not only were hard to find, their developers all went on to achieve various levels of fame. One of them heads up Call of Duty stuff for example.

(also Lost Episodes has an exclusive map not found on archives, this alone has been reason for people to get banned over sharing the wad. The other two have a long history of Doomworld bans)

3 hours ago, Devalaous said:

I already have the trio, but still. A proper official avenue of acquisition would be neat. These three wads not only were hard to find, their developers all went on to achieve various levels of fame. One of them heads up Call of Duty stuff for example.

(also Lost Episodes has an exclusive map not found on archives, this alone has been reason for people to get banned over sharing the wad. The other two have a long history of Doomworld bans)

Really? I asked Christen Klie if it was alright to obtain the wad for The Lost Episodes of Doom and he said all his contributions were free.

lost levels.png

Mapslinger answered a private message of mine at exactly this UTC time extracted from the DOM: datetime="2019-10-25T00:22:28Z", so that that screenshot looks legit / plausible, in my view.

1 hour ago, Diabolución said:

Mapslinger answered a private message of mine at exactly this UTC time extracted from the DOM: datetime="2019-10-25T00:22:28Z", so that that screenshot looks legit / plausible, in my view.

Noone accused anyone of photoshopping :D

Apparently the "minor rendering optimization" mentioned is an implementation of reversed visplane sorting, as discussed in this old thread