Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Captain Red

Most under rated game...

I really did like Bioforge, although I don't think it was as underrated as... GREAT GIANA SISTERS!

Although always seen as an 'ordinary' Super Mario Bros-clone (where the developers at one point even got sued (if that's the proper word) by Nintendo for it), it had a better story (if Mario has a story at all:P) and nicer music & all, IMHO ;-)

SiN - Huge amount of creativity and detail crammed into an FPS, even optional areas or maps to play depending on the player's actions.

Oni - A great surprise for me - I never liked manga or whatever that style is - very entertaining gameplay, advanced (for its time anyway) engine, just pure fun.

Outcast - Loved almost every minute of it, fantastic soundtrack and story. Great looks, though it uses a voxel engine IIRC. A largely underrated game.

System Shock.

Fredrik: I assume you mean since 3D games became 'popular'. You certainly couldn't call LucasArts games (Monkey Island 1 & 2, Day of the Tentacle, Sam 'N' Max, et al), the Ultima series, Command and Conquer, etc under-rated without sounding like a bit of a loon ;)

ZarcyB: Heh, while Ultima Underworld didn't sell all that well at the time of its released, it and its sequel have sold half a million copies between them over the years, and I wouldn't call that especially under-rated (although I agree they could and should have sold many more copies) :)

It must be said though, that most Looking Glass Studio Games (the aforementioned System Shock 1 and Ultima Underworld 1 & 2, System Shock 2, Thief 1 & 2) didn't sell as well as they ought to have, and this is what led to their demise :(

Nick: yeah, but also, I'm talking about the general conclusion people draw when they compare a good 2D game with a good 3D game.

I just got Descent a couple of days ago, but the mouse moves so slow that I can't even play it, even with that frame capping patch.

Uh, a lot of those games you mentioned were not under rated, at least not by german PC magazines.

boris said:

Uh, a lot of those games you mentioned were not under-rated, at least not by german PC magazines.

Under rated doesn't refer to what magazines thought of games, it refers to what the public thinks of them (i.e. how well they sold).

System Shock got +90% in most of the magazines, yet it sold abysmally, hence it's under rated.

The first game that jumps to mind is called Metal Storm for the NES. Few people have heard of it, but it was quite innovative for its time. You could "flip" gravity at will, making for some pretty insane maneuvers. Probably one of the best games no one's ever played. Pick it up for your emulator if you can.

Descent.

I dont actually know how well that sold, but I never considerd it under rated. Almost everyone I know who could run it at the time bought it. Deathmathing in that game was awesome.

I remember Metal Storm for the NES. That was one of the strangest games that I've played. It was also very fun. In some of the later levels, you needed to do those insane moves just to get around. You could go places even Mario would have a hard time reaching. It was fairly easy to beat on the normal setting, but the last few levels were nearly impossible to beat in the hardest skill level.

System Shock 2

Undying

Blood

Brave Fencer Musashi

Legend of Mana

Parasite Eve 2

Star Ocean (All of 'em)

Turok 2

G Darius

I could easily go on.