Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xvertigox

Nightdive Doom 64 Interview (new maps!)

I wonder if the new maps will take advantage of some engine features that either weren't used at all in D64 or just barely used.

The game had moving floor textures that could push you like treadmills/conveyor belts/rivers but they were barely used outside a few times.

Not even for traps involving pits or crushers.

I wanna see more elaborate puzzles and hazards taking advantage of the engine, maybe some going into Hexen territory if possible.

I also wonder about new textures and/or sprites for level props, since anything more gameplay changing may not happen.

The announcement of a new D64 episode finally got me to cave in and preorder Eternal :p I'm very excited to play the new episode and will definitely be doing so before D:E :> 

I wonder if we will be able to select the new episode from the start, or if we will need to play through the rest of the game to get there?

5 hours ago, whatup876 said:

Didn't 64 had extra levels that were unlocked after beating the hardest/secret level?

There were a couple of levels that could only be accessed from the features menu because they could only be warped to directly.

5 hours ago, Aquashark said:

I wonder if we will be able to select the new episode from the start, or if we will need to play through the rest of the game to get there?

Under normal conditions, you'll need to play through the main campaign first. There are other ways to unlock the episode though.

Edited by Edward850

I have never played Doom 64 so i wam waiting for this port (if it is better than the others available) to do it, and i think is pretty cool that they are gonna make it canon, if there is one thing i am mildly interested in from Doom Eteranl is seeing how they bring all the stories from the divverent Dooms together.

really look forward to playing new Doom64 levels. will likely be purchasing the standalone Doom64 just for that. i don't care about trivial things like watching demos on Doom64 so the bit-accuracy of this port isn't such a personal priority.

I don't know if this was asked yet but will the re-release support the password system? If so, will passwords generated by N64 work with it?

From the interview:

Samuel Villarreal, lead engine (KEX) developer: There were many subtle things that were missed when I initially reverse engineered the game, such as enemies being able to trigger the dart traps in Even Simpler. Enemies having different falling physics compared to the player's. Delays in scripted events being one-frame shorter—the split door in Breakdown is a good example of that—and [the] slightly different line-of-sight logic. Getting those right also made it possible for the demos to sync up, which was something that I struggled with for years, so now users will be able to use the 'RunHecticDemo' password [a code used to watch a successful playthrough of Doom 64's hidden level Hectic]. In addition to this, the game is also capable of supporting frame rates for monitors beyond 60Hz, meaning you can choose to run the game at 120 FPS or even above 1000 FPS. Everything is now interpolated to run as silky smooth as possible.

Emphasis mine. Confirmation we have a password system.

Then the question is whether original N64 passwords will work or not. Honestly: how likely is it that they will not work? Does it really seem like the kind of things the project would omit? Especially when the coders behind this project also made this?