Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
A Nobody

Why Was Doom 4 Called Doom?

Guest MIND

I don't know. I still call it Doom 4 regardless and I'll continue to do so. Shoot me.

2 hours ago, Wrathoxic said:

It's a reboot, not a sequel.

HIGHLY debatable. A lot of signs, and even comments by the devs, suggest that 2016 is in fact a follow up after Doom 64. The part with the Slayer waking up from a sarcophagus recovered from Hell is the biggest ringer. 

57 minutes ago, Taurus Daggerknight said:

HIGHLY debatable. A lot of signs, and even comments by the devs, suggest that 2016 is in fact a follow up after Doom 64. The part with the Slayer waking up from a sarcophagus recovered from Hell is the biggest ringer. 

Yeap, this is not a Doom 3 scenario where it was made obvious that it's a reboot and a re-telling of the original story.

Doom 2016 might also be a reboot, yes, but it isn't just a reboot and makes clear connections with the previous games, especially Doom 64, if not actually being a direct continuation after its events. The new D64 levels are supposedly also going to bridge the gap even further.

1 hour ago, seed said:

Yeap, this is not a Doom 3 scenario where it was made obvious that it's a reboot and a re-telling of the original story.

Doom 2016 might also be a reboot, yes, but it isn't just a reboot and makes clear connections with the previous games, especially Doom 64, if not actually being a direct continuation after its events. The new D64 levels are supposedly also going to bridge the gap even further.

There's going to be new D64 levels?

15 minutes ago, The Strife Commando said:

On 1/31/2020 at 5:30 PM, Linguica said:

In another example of the Doom community bullying id Software into compliance, in the Doom Eternal interview blitz they have universally referred to the last game as "Doom 2016" or even "2016".

They should have come up with a better name then lol, there is only one Doom, and is not the one they made.

6 hours ago, The Strife Commando said:

Yes, a whole new episode for the new port, and is gonna unify D64 to the canon and Doom Eternal, you read it here first, i don't have proof but i don't have doubts.

1 hour ago, D88M3R said:

They should have come up with a better name then lol, there is only one Doom, and is not the one they made.

"I dont like it therefore its not Doom"

Try something new for once...

I like to think of Doom 2016 as being a continuation of the story of the older games; all the signs point towards that being the case in spite of the official title.

I don't like calling it Doom 4 though; maybe because it's not actually a sequel to Doom 3, which feels more like something which exists in its own continuity, and perhaps also because it  implicitly cuts out Doom 64, a game I've yet to play beyond the first few levels, but which is nevertheless a worthy successor to the Doom franchise in my estimation.

I reckon the wider community got this one right. As a reboot, Doom 2016 is pretty soft (in fact downright mushy in my opinion), so I don't think it's truly earned its title without having the year appended to it.

Because companies rename their games after the originals to gain enough attention and money. Companies and studios fight for IPs constantly. Their brand recognition makes them money. They do this all the time. Reboots happen when developers run out of ideas coupled with publishers wanting to use the IP to sell. I don't hold it against ID though since naming it Doom 4 wouldn't make much sense after Doom3.

Edited by SamuelMTEvander

In my opinion, it was probably a marketing move by Bethesda. I have a feeling that they would have liked to call it something else besides just "Doom" or "Doom 4". Perhaps a different subtitle. But marketing often tries to cater things to the least common denominator to make it stand out on the shelves, so to speak. Adding a subtitle may have, in their minds, caused people to assume it was a sequel that required the context of the previous entries to enjoy.

Where they made the mistake was in naming the older games.

Final Doom is Doom 3.

Doom 64 is Doom 4.

Doom 3 is unrelated and terrible and shouldn't have existed at all, but if it is gonna exist, they shouldn't have named it Doom 3.

Doom 2016 is Doom 5.

Eternal is Doom 6.

That's how I see it, anyway.

They kind of screwed up the naming conventions like Stallone did with Rambo:

1. First Blood

2. Rambo: First Blood Part II

3. Rambo III

4. Rambo

5. Rambo: Last Blood

8 hours ago, famicommander said:

Final Doom is Doom 3.

I've always considered TNT: Evilution and The Plutonia Experiment two seperate games. Which, I guess would make Doom Eternal Doom 7

8 minutes ago, Phobos Anomaly said:

I've always considered TNT: Evilution and The Plutonia Experiment two seperate games. Which, I guess would make Doom Eternal Doom 7

They were released together, so I consider them two episodes of the same game.

On 1/25/2020 at 3:29 PM, Gez said:

Then why put all the Easter eggs, including recreated areas of the original levels?

It's easy to see why. Those two different decisions probably came from different people. One wanted to sell new crap to new people, other saw a market on a long existing fan-base.

Its really just a "doom is so old so lets just call the new one doom so because I bet everyone forgot about doom" probably marketing related

Because it's more marketable than calling it Doom 4. Calling it Doom won't intimidate people, despite it being connected to Doom 1, 2, and 64. 

On 3/13/2020 at 12:20 AM, jazzmaster9 said:

"I dont like it therefore its not Doom"

Try something new for once...

Is not Doom, despite what anyone, even the developers, say. There was Doom 1, Doom 2, Doom 64 and Doom 3, the new ones (which is a blend of Painkiller, God of War and Super Mario) should had some kind of subtitle like Eternal at the very least, not only that but everything about the new games is completely different from Doom.
Besides that, it is obviously a marketing strategy, as cool as the demos and gameplay might look, the amount of hype and success they got was because the game was called "Doom", otherwise it would have not gotten so much attention.
I would like them more if they were not called like that too, because it would make more sense.

2 hours ago, D88M3R said:

everything about the new games is completely different from Doom

Like what? Shooting demons? Finding secrets? Advancing to the next area? Sounds like a pretty accurate description of Doom to me.

On 4/13/2020 at 6:40 AM, Boaby Kenobi said:

Like what? Shooting demons? Finding secrets? Advancing to the next area? Sounds like a pretty accurate description of Doom to me.

I know what you mean and to me it's still Doom but there's more to it than what you mentioned. Otherwise Doom 3 and eternal would not have been so controversial with their design choices. 
Some people will exaggerate their reaction to ring an alarm that the developers might not have heard with tamer reactions.
Maybe to some newcomers Doom is about headshot popping sounds, toy collectibles, glory kills and platforming. To them as long as it retains these it will feel like home even if you drop the spirit of the old ones.
I think that's the fear some are having about some of these directions. Opinions always have an angle that says something worth hearing i guess.
Edit: Sorry if that extrapolation feels out of place but i wanted to mention that notion.

Edited by Deimos

I have a feeling that a DOOM 4 will be released as an add-on for DOOM Eternal. they might take their DOOM 4 1.0 concept and implement it into the game, to make their Call of DOOM (ty)

Doom II isn't really a true sequel to Doom it's more of an add-on/expansion, same with Final Doom, so Doom 3 is actually Doom II, which would make Doom 2016 Doom 3.

Story-wise, DOOM II is a sequel, and Doom 3 is a reboot. Doom (2016) is also a reboot.

On 5/19/2020 at 9:39 AM, Boaby Kenobi said:

Doom II isn't really a true sequel to Doom it's more of an add-on/expansion, same with Final Doom, so Doom 3 is actually Doom II, which would make Doom 2016 Doom 3.

WOAH! Doom 2 is 100% a sequel (Final DOOM, too) many games from that era that had sequels were made with the same engine and enemy/character sprite (sonic for example) and they also added a ton of more enemies! Final DOOM had many elements that those two games didn't have, and it has a different story. DOOM 3 was a prequel, so it wouldn't be DOOM 2 (unless it is something like Red Dead Redemption and RDR2). DOOM 2016 is a reboot, so it wouldn't be a direct sequel to DOOM 1993. Your timeline is a but off. sorry if this came across as rude.

On 5/19/2020 at 7:44 PM, dr_st said:

Doom (2016) is also a reboot.

And a sequel.

12 hours ago, LiT_gam3r said:

Final DOOM had many elements that those two games didn't have

Not really. What does Final Doom have that Doom II doesn't, except that teleport height bug?

5 hours ago, dr_st said:

Not really. What does Final Doom have that Doom II doesn't, except that teleport height bug?

Not in textures and stuff, I mean level layout. in some parts of TNT, you have to use exploration to your advantage. and Plutonia is a 🖕.

22 hours ago, LiT_gam3r said:

WOAH! Doom 2 is 100% a sequel (Final DOOM, too) many games from that era that had sequels were made with the same engine and enemy/character sprite (sonic for example) and they also added a ton of more enemies! Final DOOM had many elements that those two games didn't have, and it has a different story. DOOM 3 was a prequel, so it wouldn't be DOOM 2 (unless it is something like Red Dead Redemption and RDR2). DOOM 2016 is a reboot, so it wouldn't be a direct sequel to DOOM 1993. Your timeline is a but off. sorry if this came across as rude.

My comment was meant in jest but actually now I think about I do believe it in a way.