Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TakenStew22

Gman's review

"Contrarians will say that it's not Doom because of the colourful item pickups, the cinematics, or some other nonsense that their echo-chamber on their discord server frequently tells them. But these are the kind of people whose parents don't love them, and that have an adverse allergy to fun, along with sunlight."

He's harsh, but I love him. So hyped.

That comment about contrarians is a bit out of place for a review meant to be informative and it hurts with the fact he was directly sent a review copy from Bethesda/ZeniMax themselves.

That and because he's a paid critic, it means A: he's devaluating someone else's opinions (by either misrepresenting them or cherry picking dumb stuff on purpose) or B: not even considering that anyone can be a critic even if they don't have a YT channel. (also makes him look like he's close minded and doesn't pay attention to other prespectives)

I mean, if Youtubers are going to be seen as replacement for videogame journalism website/blogs, that means even the low points get replicated.

I feel like we need some MatthewMatosis type video that's just an extended version of that Doom clip from him or from someone else similar, because i can see it affect both sides and make them reach a middle ground on it. (it sounds silly people changing their mind on something from someone else's video but sometimes, it's that way)

Mostly because the problem with pointing out flaws of the new Doom's is that either some people are that bad at communication, bring up dumb reasons or it's just SgtMark's comment and Foebane that get more attention than MatthewMatosis' take being "Doom is not Doom, but it didn't have to be".

Like, has any "Doomtuber" even noticed the second health bar armor?

I also remember when Gman didn't notice a difference between the classic and 2016 Mancubus, who technically played differently, so the only "unchanged" enemy in 2016 was the Cacodemon and even then, his projectiles could blur your vision.

Even the comparison video of the BFG edition of Doom 3 had some details he missed, that were mentioned in the Doom wiki.

Like, he needs a notepad to check constantly.

1 minute ago, whatup876 said:

That and because he's a paid critic

I don't think he was paid.

Meant paid in the sense that his videos are either monetized or that he has a Patreon.

"Paid" wasn't the right word, but it is his job, as far as i know.

1 minute ago, whatup876 said:

Meant paid in the sense that his videos are either monetized or that he has a Patreon.

"Paid" wasn't the right word, but it is his job, as far as i know.

I think you're looking for "sponsored" then.

From others reviews this it's the best for me.

He care so much for Doom Eternal that bring so much positives topics on his video that make me to look forward to play this on a friends pc.

Also, mini review of Doom 64 xp 

21 minutes ago, MrDeAD1313 said:

Are there spoilers in this review? I'd assume so but figured I'd ask before watching 

There are, but GMan gives warnings and timestamps you can skip to in order to avoid them.

1 hour ago, seed said:

I think you're looking for "sponsored" then.

"Sponsored" and "paid" sound like he was paid specifically for this review, which isnt the case (as far as we know) and would be unsavory. Maybe "professional" would be better.

2 hours ago, whatup876 said:

That comment about contrarians is a bit out of place for a review meant to be informative and it hurts with the fact he was directly sent a review copy from Bethesda/ZeniMax themselves.

That and because he's a paid critic, it means A: he's devaluating someone else's opinions (by either misrepresenting them or cherry picking dumb stuff on purpose).

He's used it in like 2 of his reviews now, I don't get it either, makes it sound like he just wants to have things say to fill his review with.

Fine review for the most part, and the way he mocked contrarians still kinda pissed me off.

The new episode of Doom64 is apparently called "The Lost Levels" and I wonder if his quote "this episode has no tie-ins to Doom Eternal" is true.

1 hour ago, sluggard said:

He's used it in like 2 of his reviews now, I don't get it either, makes it sound like he just wants to have things say to fill his review with.

If you don't get the joke, well, you are dead to me Sonny Jim.

Satire btw

Edited by jamondemarnatural

Honestly don't like him very much, He's too  critique on every game he plays, (criticizing games is the point but purposefully pointing out every little thing that annoys him is a bit too much.) and overall i hate his monotone voice that sounds like he's reading off of a paper he wrote.

I enjoy Civvie11's reviews better since he at least tries to make his videos sound organic and energetic

1 hour ago, Morpheus666 said:

Honestly don't like him very much, He's too  critique on every game he plays, (criticizing games is the point but purposefully pointing out every little thing that annoys him is a bit too much.) and overall i hate his monotone voice that sounds like he's reading off of a paper he wrote.

I enjoy Civvie11's reviews better since he at least tries to make his videos sound organic and energetic

Same. I don't watch many of Gman's reviews anymore. I'll watch a few but not as many as i used to. I used to watch pretty much every new one that was posted back a few years ago but for some reason it seems like he's changed...became too opinionated i guess? He seems to be really "PC MASTER RACE" too and i can't stand that shit. To be fair he reviews mainly PC games though so...

Civvie reviews mainly PC games to but i do enjoy his videos a LOT more. His are more like playthrough/reviews and i find that more entertaining. Sometimes i don't agree with everything that he says but i usually do (i still like TNT: Evilution though).

15 minutes ago, CyberDreams said:

He seems to be really "PC MASTER RACE" too and i can't stand that shit.

I don't think he's really liked that. He's posting alot of positive reviews of console ports for PC games recently and he doesn't seem like the guy who would be a PC elitist.

13 minutes ago, TakenStew22 said:

I don't think he's really liked that. He's posting alot of positive reviews of console ports for PC games recently and he doesn't seem like the guy who would be a PC elitist.

Eh, your probably right. It's been a while since i've really watched any of his vids. I guess i just think he's kinda of cocky is all haha! It could just be the way he acts with all of his "sonny Jim" mannerisms ;)

This guy is like a bad cartoon. With his exaggerated accent along with his bad takes. I stopped watching him in 2017.

8 hours ago, ValeriyPipick said:

Importance of his opinion is nullified after disgraceful Sigil review. 

Spoiler

And the Blood: Fresh Supply review which he still won't properly acknowledge to this day. Heck, just take a look at this Doom Eternal video, the mini-review part of Doom 64, where he talks about the quality of the re-release.

Edited by TheNoob_Gamer

12 hours ago, jamondemarnatural said:

If you don't get the joke, well, you are dead to me Sonny Jim.

I get that, it's just odd coming into this review after watching another where he used the same excuse just so he won't bother going into details (not that I'm a huge follower or anything, I just watch the most interesting ones when scrolling through my recommendations).

Edited by sluggard : I got my answer so nvm

5 hours ago, ValeriyPipick said:

Importance of his opinion is nullified after disgraceful Sigil review. 

4 hours ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:
  Hide contents

And the Blood: Fresh Supply review which he still won't properly acknowledge to this day. Heck, just take a look at the video, the mini-review part of Doom 64, where he talks about the quality of the re-release.

Yeap, those to be honest. With Sigil I feel like he missed the point completely on too many occasions and criticized it for absurd reasons, while with Blood FS he either didn't really play it, or he's deliberately ignoring its issues.

These 2 videos were very off-putting for me. Sorry Gman.

Critic who cannot take criticism of their own work 

This seems to be very common anywhere on the internet, from youtube to mainstream outlets.

I guess they develop some sort of god complex since it's the first time in their life someone pays attention to them.

Besides what's been said here, I just don't like Gman due to him being one of those "anti-SJW" types. I just ain't got time for folks like that.

32 minutes ago, CasualScrub said:

Besides what's been said here, I just don't like Gman due to him being one of those "anti-SJW" types. I just ain't got time for folks like that.

Agreed. Although I respect his opinion on video games and I'm still a subscriber. I just ignore his social commentary bits, (which are minor and inconsequential anyway) and focus on the subject of the video at hand and what he has to say about them.

I actually haven't seen Gman's Sigil review. Must remember to watch it after work today. 

8 hours ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:
  Hide contents

And the Blood: Fresh Supply review which he still won't properly acknowledge to this day. Heck, just take a look at the video, the mini-review part of Doom 64, where he talks about the quality of the re-release.

Not kidding here, I subbed to GMan like a week prior to the BFS review, it came out and left me utterly confused as to what in the actual hell was he playing. Then some good soul over at Duke4 linked to Civvie's video, I watched it, watched some of his other content, unsubbed from GMan, subbed to Civvie and never looked back. Their respective Sigil reviews have proven it to be a good decision.