Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SelacoDev

[RELEASE] Knee-deep in COVID-19

Some interesting ideas here. I'd like to see how it works in more intricate maps with lots of monsters. 

IMPORTANT: Due to COVID-19, we will conduct fewer human reviews to protect the health of our extended workforce. Unfortunately, as a result we may remove content that does not violate our Community Guidelines. :D

Amusing, but I didn't get very far in Doom 2 - in MAP03, pinkies in front of the final red door blocked me. Maybe it would help if the player had the ability to execute already infected monsters? Or if the infected monsters died after a minute or so?

Also, the player gains a ton of health if several monsters infect each other in rapid succession, I think it's a bug. I had over 1000 health half the way through MAP02 and MAP03. I played in GZdoom 4.3.3.

Another bug affects spectres and archvile, they can't become infected and die when in contact with other monsters. They are then missing in the final counter, so any map with them is unwinnable. Arachnotrons are very hard to infect and they can't infect each other. Barons and hellknights are also hard to infect. You also should take into account monsters that die by other means, such as telefrags or crushers.

And Gzdoom reports some warnings:

Invalid data encountered for texture Knee-deep in COVID-19.pk3:sprites/knee-deep in covid-19 - shortcut.lnk
ParseTeamInfo: Load team definitions.
LoadActors: Load actor definitions.
Script warning, "Knee-deep in COVID-19.pk3:zscript/actors/doom/possessed.dec" line 245:
Tried to define class 'ShellBox' more than once. Renaming class to 'ShellBox@Knee-deep in COVID-19.pk3@zscript/actors/doom/possessed.dec'
Script warning, "Knee-deep in COVID-19.pk3:zscript/actors/doom/possessed.dec" line 533:
Tried to define class 'Demon2' more than once. Renaming class to 'Demon2@Knee-deep in COVID-19.pk3@zscript/actors/doom/possessed.dec'
Script warning, "Knee-deep in COVID-19.pk3:zscript/actors/doom/spitter.dec" line 1:
Tried to define class 'CoronaCannon' more than once. Renaming class to 'CoronaCannon@Knee-deep in COVID-19.pk3@zscript/actors/doom/spitter.dec'
Script warning, "Knee-deep in COVID-19.pk3:decorate.txt" line 6:
Unknown class name '0' of type 'Actor'

Edited by Caleb13

5 hours ago, Caleb13 said:

Amusing, but I didn't get very far in Doom 2 - in MAP03, pinkies in front of the final red door blocked me. Maybe it would help if the player had the ability to execute already infected monsters? Or if the infected monsters died after a minute or so?

Also, the player gains a ton of health if several monsters infect each other in rapid succession, I think it's a bug. I had over 1000 health half the way through MAP02 and MAP03. I played in GZdoom 4.3.3.

Another bug affects spectres and archvile, they can't become infected and die when in contact with other monsters. They are then missing in the final counter, so any map with them is unwinnable. Arachnotrons are very hard to infect and they can't infect each other. Barons and hellknights are also hard to infect. You also should take into account monsters that die by other means, such as telefrags or crushers.

And Gzdoom reports some warnings:

Invalid data encountered for texture Knee-deep in COVID-19.pk3:sprites/knee-deep in covid-19 - shortcut.lnk
ParseTeamInfo: Load team definitions.
LoadActors: Load actor definitions.
Script warning, "Knee-deep in COVID-19.pk3:zscript/actors/doom/possessed.dec" line 245:
Tried to define class 'ShellBox' more than once. Renaming class to 'ShellBox@Knee-deep in COVID-19.pk3@zscript/actors/doom/possessed.dec'
Script warning, "Knee-deep in COVID-19.pk3:zscript/actors/doom/possessed.dec" line 533:
Tried to define class 'Demon2' more than once. Renaming class to 'Demon2@Knee-deep in COVID-19.pk3@zscript/actors/doom/possessed.dec'
Script warning, "Knee-deep in COVID-19.pk3:zscript/actors/doom/spitter.dec" line 1:
Tried to define class 'CoronaCannon' more than once. Renaming class to 'CoronaCannon@Knee-deep in COVID-19.pk3@zscript/actors/doom/spitter.dec'
Script warning, "Knee-deep in COVID-19.pk3:decorate.txt" line 6:
Unknown class name '0' of type 'Actor'

Thanks for the review! I genuinely forgot about the archvile, silly me! I'll get it done asap, as well as improving / fixing the other points you've mentioned :)

I updated this thing.

- Changed the difficulties. All difficulties now use Ultra-Violence monster spawns (Because this mod doesnt work at all without many demons). Higher difficulty levels drain your COVID-19 faster.

- Rebalanced the entire thing. It was far easy. If your health exceeds 100, it drains a little faster than usual. You cannot go higher than 200

- Archviles and Spectre's can now be infected

- You can now walk through infected demons so you no longer get stuck

- Dying during the mission complete screen will no longer pistol start you in the next level

- You can no longer die by using a virus ball or an infectious touch by using it with not enough health.

- New sound effects.

- All startup errors fixed

Edited by nexxtic28

5 minutes ago, DJVCardMaster said:

Talking about the virus these days has reached the point in which everything related is cringy.

Its fine if you think that. I made this mod to hopefully put a smile on a few people's faces. Sometimes, even during the dark days, having a quick laugh about something is healthy. And according to a lot of comments, it at least managed to get a chuckle out of them and that is all that I wanted to hear.

Version 0.3.4 plays much better, but MAP03 is still unwinnable if you telefrag one of the chaingunners. And there are other problems:

-I found a shotgun at the start of MAP03 and I couldn't switch back to the infectious touch. I had to shoot it until all ammo was gone and then it switched to infectious touch automatically.

-All the infected monsters started to jump after a minute of play or so. It seems they all start to jump when one monster jumps or falls from a lift. Some of them jumped very high, up to what the ceiling allowed.

-Hellknights, barons and archviles are still hard to infect, particularly with the infectious touch. It's almost like you need to hit them exactly in the center of their sprites.

-IMO it's not necessary to display the "infect everyone with..." message all the time. The infected counter seems too big, too.

1 hour ago, Caleb13 said:

Version 0.3.4 plays much better, but MAP03 is still unwinnable if you telefrag one of the chaingunners. And there are other problems:

-I found a shotgun at the start of MAP03 and I couldn't switch back to the infectious touch. I had to shoot it until all ammo was gone and then it switched to infectious touch automatically.

-All the infected monsters started to jump after a minute of play or so. It seems they all start to jump when one monster jumps or falls from a lift. Some of them jumped very high, up to what the ceiling allowed.

-Hellknights, barons and archviles are still hard to infect, particularly with the infectious touch. It's almost like you need to hit them exactly in the center of their sprites.

-IMO it's not necessary to display the "infect everyone with..." message all the time. The infected counter seems too big, too.

This is good stuff! Fixing it asap. Thanks dude!

Transparency and responsibility sakes follows:

This got locked on the ZDoom forums (And i was probably a major component to it) Given its your product i can understand you would want to infect other places with it. (This is a joke.)

I do want to add that in that thread you relied on Reddit as your other community where it was much better recieved. Obviously, not all communities are the same, and i believe your changed OP there was hastily edited out of spite.

Lastly, although the topic was locked, Rachael of the staff gave a milder response than i did, but i do think i explained myself well there. That isn't to say that the mechanics aren't interesting, ofcourse.

I can't foresee how this topic will sit with the other members here, so that still remains. But ill side with Gokuma here and hope the balls are large enough.

Edit from the future: The OP has revised his thoughts behind the mod given the pandemic that came since. I feel it is important to include here.

To be honest, I wouldn't have made that covid-19 mod if I got the idea today. Early March it was still in its infancy and despite how shitty it was, I was trying to make light of the situation by turning it into a joke. It is partially how I cope with things; make a joke about it.

Currently though, far too many people are struggling with this pandemic both mentally, physically and/or financially, that joking about it won't sit well for a lot of people. It is still my preferred way of coping, but with how many people have lost a loved one at this point, it is no longer about what I want or feel. I've been lucky so far, which is unfortunately not the case for many others.

Fuck covid.

Edited by Redneckerz

1 minute ago, Redneckerz said:

Err... is it really necessary trying to start drama here, too? The mod has been here 3 days or so and people obviously don't mind it here, so please drop it.

3 minutes ago, Caleb13 said:

Err... is it really necessary trying to start drama here, too? The mod has been here 3 days or so and people obviously don't mind it here, so please drop it.

To be frank its not to start drama. I just want to be upfront about my own position here since i posted about it prior.

That is all. Personally, i do not mind the mod (shocking, i guess).

Don't i hear there was a removed mod on moddb where you are a chinese infecting people with the corona virus or something similar? Did you make that?

2 minutes ago, doomsucksass said:

Don't i hear there was a removed mod on moddb where you are a chinese infecting people with the corona virus or something similar? Did you make that?

Yikes, no that wasn't me. I think that's a little too close to reality even for someone like me :P Thats just tasteless.

I consider using COVID-19 to infect scumbag demons to be totally fine, though! Why not make the best out of a shitty situation?

31 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

This got locked on the ZDoom forums (And i was probably a major component to it) Given its your product i can understand you would want to infect other places with it. (This is a joke.)

I do want to add that in that thread you relied on Reddit as your other community where it was much better recieved. Obviously, not all communities are the same, and i believe your changed OP there was hastily edited out of spite.

Lastly, although the topic was locked, Rachael of the staff gave a milder response than i did, but i do think i explained myself well there. That isn't to say that the mechanics aren't interesting, ofcourse.

I can't foresee how this topic will sit with the other members here, so that still remains. But ill side with Gokuma here and hope the balls are large enough.

Oh please don't start this again.

It wasn't ''hastily edited out of spite''. I realized the original OP made me seem like some edgy teenager which is not what I am, quite the opposite really. I wanted to show that I take this pandemic seriously and included a warning about showing symptoms, just in case. Deep down I was a little afraid that this mod gave people the wrong idea and that is the absolute last thing that I want to happen. Believe it or not, I care about what people think of me. Some people love to just assume the worst and be like ''Oh you're caving in! Coward'' no, i'm not. I'm not afraid to admit that I fucked up and should have been more careful with my words in the original OP especially with a subject like this.

The people on the ZDoom threat took everything far to seriously for my taste, to a point that someone thought it was necessary to write a multi paragraph story about how bad the mod's gameplay mechanic is and how everything was crap and it was written in the most obnoxious way possible (was this you?). Trust me when I say that I am completely fine with criticism. I've made and published maps and mods since the original Unreal and I never took criticism the wrong way (when its written in a nice way that is). But with this, it was never my intention to make this a serious mod with a well thought out gameplay mechanic, hell, I didnt even want reviews because that was not the point, I just wanted to put a smile on some people's faces. But after seeing the reception and the (for my standards) high amount of downloads, I decided to tweak and improve upon it to make it a little less shitty. But this is far from my finest work.

After seeing how Zdoom reacted to this, I know for sure that I am not going back to that place ever again.

the mod is fun. the drama is not fun. let's stay on the fun side. please.

3 hours ago, ketmar said:

the mod is fun. the drama is not fun. let's stay on the fun side. please.

I have addressed the OP in private for this reason alone.

Hope this gets used as a base for a multiplayer Zandronum based mod, come to think of it! In that capacity, Natural Selection (the Goldsrc mod) but in Zandronum comes to mind.

I was hoping this was going to be Doomguy fighting the corona virus.

It's an interesting idea but I can see why some people would get offended. It would be neater if the player was occasionally coughing and the virus toss attack would play a sneezing sound effect to accompany it.

Maybe make some changes that do not directly reference this virus and maybe it'll garner some more positive reactions.

12 minutes ago, Lizardcommando said:

I was hoping this was going to be Doomguy fighting the corona virus.

It's an interesting idea but I can see why some people would get offended. It would be neater if the player was occasionally coughing and the virus toss attack would play a sneezing sound effect to accompany it.

Maybe make some changes that do not directly reference this virus and maybe it'll garner some more positive reactions.

The reactions are positive enough for me and the vast majority could appreciate it. I dont think that making a joke about this is bad and I will defend that statement with my life. I'm not changing a thing here :P

"Maybe make some changes that do not directly reference this virus and maybe it'll garner some more positive reactions."

So its fine to use viruses, but not covid-19? Isn't that technically speaking the same thing? Viruses are bad either way. I feel like all comedic value is lost when its just a random virus and the toilet roll gag would no longer make as much sense. I made those choices for a reason :p

"I was hoping this was going to be Doomguy fighting the corona virus."

That would just make this play like Doom but with a corona virus skin. I chose this idea because it provides fun gameplay while complementing the virus setting.

Edited by nexxtic28

14 minutes ago, jamondemarnatural said:

Died in level 5, but it's a interesing proyect

Also, don't remove the topic!

Never!

5 minutes ago, nexxtic28 said:

The reactions are positive enough for me and the vast majority could appreciate it. I dont think that making a joke about this is bad and I will defend that statement with my life.

"Maybe make some changes that do not directly reference this virus and maybe it'll garner some more positive reactions."

So its fine to use viruses, but not covid-19? Isn't that technically speaking the same thing? Viruses are bad either way. I feel like all comedic value is lost when its just a random virus and the toilet roll gag would no longer make as much sense. I made those choices for a reason :p

Fair enough. Also, I just got the toilet roll reference when I rewatched that video. Dunno how I missed that the first time around.