Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mr. Freeze

Your first impressions?

Just got back from the second level and I am impressed! Are you? Explain below. 

Some thoughts:

1. The art style change I can't say I'm 100% behind. The colors went from colorful to gaudy and it's a little distracting. Also I'm pretty sure the overall level of detail wen't down. Doom 2016 I think looked a bit better. 

Spoiler

2. The menu music being Opening to Hell sent a chill up my spine. Brilliant choice.

3. Really enjoying the level length and design. Especially the second level, it was a nice decision to get away from brown and red palettes for a while. 

4. Once again, the Air Control rune is mandatory.

Can't say I've played this, but I watched MKFire&Ice's playthrough up to part three, which is the first 3 hours or so, so I think that counts enough. This game is strictly what I thought it would be, a mismatched bargin bin 2016 DLC with not a lot of redeeming value.

Things I hate:

1. RPG and Mario platforming elements: This game is chock full of leveling up elements and overdependence on perks that makes Call of Duty look tame by comparison. This game tries to be a collect-a-thon adventure game not only in the sheer stupid amount of items but in the sheer amount of Super Mario plastered in this game. Its as if someone in the lead team did a 24 hour Mario marathon spree before getting to work on this sorry excuse of a game what with all the stupid jumping and hookshoting one has to do to traverse this game.

2. Slow glorykill confetti addiction syndrome: This returns from 2016 but even worse as now you find yourself collecting candy off the ground, and its MANDATORY to survive through this slog of despair. Glory kills are NOT optional, they are required to recover from the sheer amount of damage one takes in the closed demon arena battles.

3. Art Misdirection: Is it weird that I find this game was a failed attempt at a Games Workshop 40K game? I mean, the Exaltia and snow levels look like the Imperium of Man stopped in the Doomverse to build expansive vacation homes for the Empruh. The amount of gothic architecture and skulls really just don't do well to suggest this IS NOT 40k. Finally, we get to the Halo elements. So you are telling me a friend of the Didact-space vamp took over the Doomverse and laid the seeds of the Apocalypse because they couldn't go all sci fi techno god to save their dying race? Hmm, wonder why, considering you are out of your own universe. -hint hint- 

4. Obsessive Hand Holding: This one is rather short, why does this game have to tell you how to beat EVERY SINGLE ENEMY? I mean come on, now I can see what the guys who praise Dark Souls are coming from! Let people figure things out for themselves!

Edited by warman2012

First impressions? I fucking love it. I remember playing the original Doom all the way back in 1993, I was so enthralled. I feel the same way again. Congratulations to Hugo and Marty and the rest of the team. This is DOOM. I foresee lots of my time dedicated to Doom Eternal.

Edited by User Name

Extremely impressed, there are certain rooms in the cultist base that feel exactly like something Sandy Peterson would have dreamt up. Also, I don't see the level of detail thing you're bringing up at all, I think it looks much, much better than 2016. This is pretty much exactly what I wanted, better level design, better music, bigger maps. Its almost overwhelming at points. I also decided to play on UV, and, man, I'm a bit embarrassed to say, I used a number of the extra lives in the first few maps. I think I'm finally getting used to the push-pull action and resource management. Can't wait to get back to earth, that first map was brilliant.

1 hour ago, warman2012 said:

4. Obsessive Hand Holding: This one is rather short, why does this game have to tell you how to beat EVERY SINGLE ENEMY? I mean come on, now I can see what the guys who praise Dark Souls are coming from! Let people figure things out for themselves!

Isn't this toggleable?

Rant about RPG/Platforming elements

Inconceivable. The platforming are fucking smooth and the sections aren't unfair once you get the hang of it. 

This isn't as bad as Xen. Hell, Original Xen isn't as bad as people make it seems.

I however agree that newcomers might be overwhelmed by upgrades, however.

Edited by TheNoob_Gamer

Remember the beginning of Doom '16 where the Doomslayer breaks the monitor when it starts babbling exposition? That's sort of how I feel after playing Doom Eternal for an hour or so. It's very pretty to look at, the music is banging and the frantic combat I enjoy much like the last game, but there's too many upgrade paths and buffs and abilities and attachments and tutorials and codexes and crap I just don't care about. Too much too soon, sensory overload. Maybe I'm just getting old idk. But what happened to keeping things simple? And what's with all the platforming? Is this Doom or Tomb Raider?

Edit: Is it just me or is ammo way too scarce? And why is melee literally useless?

Edited by DoomUK

I am not far in and the gameplay is smooth and satisfying.  

But I am also not sure it looks better than 2016.  I am running on Ultra Nightmare (video settings) and the textures don't look quite as good.  I really don't like the look of the pickups either

The bit I hate about the game is the parcore stuff. All of the swinging around stuff is quite annoying, everything else is really fun.

The textures are also very blurry but if you enable reshade and adaptive sharpen, everything looks fine. 

First impressions is that the game is stunning! The only thing that annoys me is how some events are timed. Some of the parkour platforms will literally descend if you stay on it too long. But, I can somewhat see their reasoning behind that. However, I absolutely despise all things that time me lol. So, as to no surprise to me, I absolutely hate the secret encounters. Lol but that could just be me. I ended up deciding to come back mid-game with the BFG and clear em out. The games tougher than doom 2016, it's not just mindless shooting(which is a bit difficult when you stay up all night playing the game cause you can since works closed from the coronavirus 

Yes, so far I thought it is tougher too.  I usually play through on HMP, then UV the Nightmare.  So I assumed I would literally stroll through first play through on HMP and it hasn't been as easy I as thought.

2 minutes ago, silvercue said:

Yes, so far I thought it is tougher too.  I usually play through on HMP, then UV the Nightmare.  So I assumed I would literally stroll through first play through on HMP and it hasn't been as easy I as thought.

Decided to play on UV rather than HMP (which is what I was going to play). And there are a few pretty unforgiving arenas, but overall, I'm glad I chose a more challenging difficulty. Ngl, I've used a few 1ups haha

This game is amazing! Played it all day long yesterday and had a huge smile on my face while I was playing it. I simply coudn't put the controller down. And when I had to do some stuff around the house all I wanted is to play more. I was clapping my hands I was so happy and impressed! There are A LOT of good things I can say about this game. But it's better to simply play it. I hated that I had to eat, take a piss, take my dog for a walk, sleep. .All I wanted is to play the damn thing. It was like a drug. Yes. .So far what I don't really like are arenas with totems that make enemies twice as fast. This game is fucking hard as it is. I don't know why it was included. It's challenging yes, but it's more annoying than anything. Also I hate the gore nests/time trial thingies. Those feel really arcady. Too much platforming to be honest. Some parts of it are fun. But there are a lot of annoying ones. I remember losing a whole 1Up trying to figure out what the game wanted me to do. The final levels seem to drag a bit. These are minor gripes and maybe I will change my mind with time. It looks like I'm about to beat the game. Interesting to see how the final boss battle will look and play like. Also as of right now I can't see how it is possible to beat this game on UN. It was kicking my ass and I had to change the difficulty to HMP. I beat Doom 2016 on UN and now it feels soooo easy it's not even funny.

Playing on UV. I made it mid-way through Cultist Base, taking a break.

Positive

• It's so much HARDER than 2016 and I'm pretty happy about that.
  • The weapons seem to be much better balanced. I went from never using the Chainsaw in 2016 to it being my best friend in Eternal.
  • Imps got nerfed, they're no longer the deadliest enemies in the game like they strangely were in 2016.
  • Revenants aren't piss easy anymore and their rockets actually home in on you.
  • Mancubi aren't piss easy anymore and they fuck you up badly when you try to get close.
  • A LOT more enemies. The first slayer gate had about 20 enemies at once at one point.
  • Menu music and the E2 hymn in Cultist Base made my spine tingle. Mick Gordon is a beast yet again.
  • The secrets aren't super well hidden BUT it helps mitigate the pace-breaking effect that they had in 2016.
  • I like the hub world. Very Quake-y.

Negative

• The default menu is hideous. I changed it to the UAC color scheme very quickly and I'm questioning why THAT wasn't the default, looks much cleaner.
  • The platforming can be AIDS sometimes.
  • Chainsaw animations are way too goddamn long, and you see them constantly.
  • The regular grenade seems like a pointless addition because the ice bomb totally outclasses it.
  • The first two levels were very linear. I hope they aren't all like that, Cultist Base is a little more open so far.
  • Arachnotrons need to fuck off and die. Once you have the PR they aren't so bad, but they're a menace in the first two levels and it didn't feel fair.
  • Cacodemons are simultaneously extremely irritating and piss easy to kill. Badly designed enemy.
  • No Spider Masterminds, bummer.

Really awesome so far!  It was very very easy on ultra violence (more so than 2016 I'd say) until about the 5th level (where I am now).  It's run perfectly so far and the platforming is actually OK.  The mouse + keyboard movement feels very weird to me and is about my only complaint so far, wish they gave you more options to change that.

Its pretty nice so far, but its odd,  like is it just me or is this game way too hard? i can barely make it trough the average encounter, 2016 UV was a cakewalk, as is 1 and 2, so maybe its just me idk, but i feel getting pushed into a corner by to cacos and then blasted from across the entire battlefield by arachnotrons is way too much for the early game, i was expecting them to be a mid game thing at least, but this is the only doom where i tend to find myself groaning when certain demon types show up from the thought of having to deal with them. other than that, the over complication of mechanics stacked on mechanics stacked on mechanics does drag it down a bit. Visuals, music, style, world, all that is a big one-up on 2016 though. 

4 minutes ago, LF222 said:

Its pretty nice so far, but its odd,  like is it just me or is this game way too hard? i can barely make it trough the average encounter, 2016 UV was a cakewalk, as is 1 and 2, so maybe its just me idk, but i feel getting pushed into a corner by to cacos and then blasted from across the entire battlefield by arachnotrons is way too much for the early game, i was expecting them to be a mid game thing at least, but this is the only doom where i tend to find myself groaning when certain demon types show up from the thought of having to deal with them. other than that, the over complication of mechanics stacked on mechanics stacked on mechanics does drag it down a bit. Visuals, music, style, world, all that is a big one-up on 2016 though. 

The game is Plutonia-tier brutal on UV. Spiders will stop giving you shit around the time you get the heat blast mod, though.

12 minutes ago, LF222 said:

Yeah it's pretty hard even on UV. Imagine the pain playing it on NIGHTMARE. 

- Shotgun ammo carrying capacity seems a little low to start with.
- The shotgun's primary fire seems a bit weak.
- Fuck that purple shit that restricts your movement.

+ Great opening! "Help us!" *racks shotgun* Helps to play up the heroism of the Slayer, which I like.
+ This shit is fun. Even dying does little to dampen my enthusiasm, since the game throws you straight back in with the Extra Lives mechanic and the way that it seems to load faster than 2016!
+ I love the visual style. It's colourful and visually striking, which as well as looking good is vital in a fast-paced game like this.

= Slayer Gates are tough. The first one I found threw a metric arseton of low-level enemies at me, with a sprinkling of higher-level demons which meant I took two attempts.
= Game looks like it's going to be fucking huge.
= Music is good but I can barely hear it. I'll try playing with the setting when I next run it.

Overall, I'm liking what I see.

Loving the gunplay, but I really don't see what Dash, climbing (those wall things)  and jumping sections have added to the game.  In fact I think they have diluted the core gameplay by just being there.

Don't get me wrong I love the game, but I don't think they were necessary additions.  

1 minute ago, silvercue said:

Loving the gunplay, but I really don't see what Dash, climbing (those wall things)  and jumping sections have added to the game.  In fact I think they have diluted the core gameplay by just being there.

Don't get me wrong I love the game, but I don't think they were necessary additions.  

Dash adds A LOT to the game. You have increased mobility, so demons are allowed to be way more agressive, thus making their attacks more fun to dodge.

Not gonna defend the climbing though.

I am torn between really liking it and hating it.

The combat is great, you need to move constantly, use tools you were given.

Map design is varied and ineteresting.

...however...

How much ammo you can carry by default ? At first I thought that ammo capacity is a joke... now I am pretty sure it is.

The platforming feels pretty cool but also really out of place for the good chunk of what I have played so far.

And what I REALLY hate about the platforming segments is the fact they need to give you ammo to shoot the swithces.

So the heavy rifle ammo just blink into existence every time you need to do a platforming segment with the shootable switch... and I hate that so much.

On the one hand you have shortage of ammo in combat, so you need to use the chainsaw (and fuel is kinda rare also, especially when you want to kill bigger enemies with it) on the other you are given ammo for free for almoust every jumping puzzle.

The fast travel system is also a 50/50 in my book.

And as someone mentioned the lives system is kinda weird. The fact that checkpoins don´t respawn you with the number of lives you had is kinda unfair IMO.

Overall, as I said, there are things I really like, there are things that I hate. TBH I like DOOM 2016 more at the moment.

One thing that is pleasantly surprising is the difficulty. I think every difficulty below Nightmare tends to be memed on as easymode, but Ultra Violence is a legit challenge. I never hated Arachnotrons before but I sure do now. 

Just now, Shawny said:

The platforming feels pretty cool but also really out of place for the good chunk of what I have played so far.

Cant say platforming is gud (jump-jump-dash-repeat, "window" between under/over jump are too big, for a platformer), Id say passable.
But yeah, platforming really feels out of the place. Like if someone from developers said "oh hey remember I promised to kill you last platforming in doom 4? I lied Lets add it here, and here and there and near that bowsers fire beam".

36 minutes ago, Mangcubus said:

Dash adds A LOT to the game. You have increased mobility, so demons are allowed to be way more agressive, thus making their attacks more fun to dodge.

Not gonna defend the climbing though.

Yea I get that, but one of the things I loved so much about 2016 was simplicity.   No reloading guns - great!  It seemd a pure FPS just run and jump and shoot and in its most perfect form.

Now we are trying to add platforming....why, really I don't get it.

Quite a few levels in now and although I love it - I have to say I much prefer 2016.  

The gameplay is fun and fast paced but it has flaws imo.
Glory kills are mandatory now, your health and armor is gone in a stiff breeze so you have to keep chainsawing/glorykilling constantly, it feels like you spend half the game in glory kill animations.

Handholding, the game tells you the weakpoints of the enemies instead of letting you figure it out yourself, not to mention every mechanic has its own unskippable tutorial when introduced.

[SPOILERS]

The story was the only thing i straight up disliked. It took away a lot of the supernatural elements of the 2016 lore and replaced it with "hurr durr aliens, hurr durr alien tech". It really felt like the writers gave up on the supernatural motif of heaven and hell and went full on sci-fi.

The doomslayer is no longer this mystical demigod like figure of legend, he is the n64 doomguy who accidentaly ended up with aliens called the night sentinels and got some antibodies from an alien called the seraphim.

The demons are extra-dimensional aliens.

Same with the angels and seraphim now, aliens with advanced tech.

The story feels like the lovechild of mass effect and god of war.

Edit: excuse any shit grammar, im running on fumes atm.

Ok so, after playing another level, im starting to think that the difficulty issue is more that the game just leaves you dry in the early stages, not enough ammo to last a fight etc etc, (no pistol to back that up, that one kinda annoys me most)

11 minutes ago, TheMasochist said:

It took away a lot of the supernatural elements of the 2016 lore and replaced it with "hurr durr aliens, hurr durr alien tech". It really felt like the writers gave up on the supernatural motif of heaven and hell and went full on sci-fi.

Doom 2016 never really struck me as Supernatural, hell has always been shown as an alien dimension with energy being exploited by humans

so this "hurr durr aliens" comment is pretty silly.